• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch/dinner recs - middle of New Jersey

Diann

This is a slightly wishy-washy request as my plans aren't set in stone yet. But one of my best friends will be in the New Brunswick/Princeton-ish area this weekend and I'm thinking of having lunch (or dinner, or both) in that approximate area with her.

Here's what I want: Great food. Cheap prices. Atmosphere doesn't matter as much. As for specific cuisines, anything works as long as it's freshly prepared, made with love, and so on and so forth.

I will, of course, be stopping by Trenton on my way back to pick up one of De Lorenzo's famous tomato pies...

Thanks in advance!

(Edited to add that I tried to be good and thoroughly search the New Jersey posts before I added this, but I can't find anything.)

Edited by Diann (log)

Don't laugh...go to the Wegman's on Route 1 in Princeton. You could spend a couple of hours there oohing and ahhing AND have whatever you want for lunch!!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Shanghai Park is in Highland Park (next door to New Brunswick). Their specialty is steamed buns, aka soup dumplings. We recently went there for the first time. The pork buns were superb. We also had Shredded Beef With Hot Pepper, which was very tasty.

Shanghai Park, 239 Raritan Ave., H.P., Tel: 732-247-8813

They have a new Princeton location, which was reviewed in The New York Times on August 28th. Here's the link:

http://events.nytimes.com/2005/08/28/trave...a264c90&ei=5070

In Highland Park, another place to consider is Seven Hills of Istanbul, which serves excellent Turkish cuisine. Info and menus here:

http://www.ardore.com/listing.asp?r=sevenh...c=All&m=c&u=all

Shanghai Park is in Highland Park (next door to New Brunswick).  Their specialty is steamed buns, aka soup dumplings.  We recently went there for the first time.  The pork buns were superb.  We also had Shredded Beef With Hot Pepper, which was very tasty.

Soup dumplings! And other Shanghai-style goodies (mentioned in the NYTimes review). Rozrapp, you are my hero. Try as I might, I have not been able to find a good version of these in Philadelphia.

Tiger Noodles in Princeton, on Nassau Street, across from Wild Oats supermarket; fresh, lively Sechuan cooking prepared simply but with great care and enthusiasm.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you to all. I know this is late, but I actually went up to Princeton again this past weekend, and I had those soup dumplings from Shanghai Park AGAIN. They are fantastic -- probably among the best I've ever had. I'll probably be in Shanghai next year so I can do a true comparison, but I would recommend these dumplings to anyone within a 200-mile radius.

Shanghai Park also does a nice rendition of some of my other favorite foods - lion's head meatballs, stir fried sticky cakes with pork and preserved vegetable, chive dumplings, etc. (These are just my awkward Chinese-to-English translations.)

I have now seen photos of Wegmans on Percyn's blog and plan on stopping by next time I'm in the area...looks like the ultimate supermarket.