• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What's Your Favorite Restaurants in Bergen Co &Why

Anonymouze

What is your favorite restaurant(s) IN Bergen County to eat, what city is it in what type of food do they have and why? :biggrin:

(Food, Staff, Atmosphere, Location etc...)

I personally like in no particular order:

Bhoj - Indian - Saddle Brook

Minado - Chinese/Japanese - Little Ferry

Sapphire - Middle Eastern - Tenafly

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.

What is your favorite restaurant(s) IN Bergen County to eat, what city is it in what type of food do they have and why?  :biggrin:

Hey...you didn't tell us "why"!

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

My Bergen County experience is by no means extensive, but I have eaten well at La Tour in Ridgewood. It is very good French food competently prepared in nice surroundings. I have to remember to bring my wine next time!

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

On the low end it would have to be the AB&G in Allendale if only for the buffalo shrimp

Gazelle in Ridgewood is simple clean foods and a nice setting

and I have to agree with Latour...although the first time I looked at their menu I left confused...Foie du Brik

tried El Cid in Paramus last night ...to die for cream of shrimp soup, very good seafood in spanish sauce, dry paella....huge portions, fair prices

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

why?  :biggrin: 

OKAY I'll tell you why... (since you asked -lol- :raz: )

Bhoj has a nice buffet on the weekend and I love chaat and can NOT find a good make your own chaat place in northern nj except for raja palace on 46 in lodi...

Minado, great variety, mid-range prices - nice service for the most part!

Sapphire - Super-fantastic tasting food, nice service 75% of the time (once we had a slow/stupid serve-staff) nice selection.

I also like The Porter House on the top of Kinderkamack Road in Montvale (Pearl River NY borderline area) - except they need a bit more variety in their menu they have a menu with about 15-20 items or less and although they are prepared well and taste great, it'd be nice to have more than one or two fish or chicken selection on occasion.

P.S. (from a few weeks/months back) I still have not found a place with candied apples in this area. ::sniffle:: (I went to the nut house and they will special order make them or I have to wait till around halloween!) :sad:

Anyone?!

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

Two completely different places...

Village Green in Ridgewood, which I must get back to once the weather cools down and Indian Chef in Lodi, which I can eat in ANY weather! :wub:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Two completely different places...

Village Green in Ridgewood, which I must get back to once the weather cools down and Indian Chef in Lodi, which I can eat in ANY weather!  :wub:

Gotta love Indian Chef (always) - I recommend the potato dosa it'll fill ya right up! (forever!) LOL...

Never been to Village Green - what type of food? and why is it good and why would the weather influence you? Thanks!

Anyone else... please add to thread I'd love to hear your favorite places TOO! :biggrin:

Here's the thread on Village Green... and here's their web site. In their words, it's contemporary American cuisine. Oh, and it's BYO!! We had a fantastic dinner there one night, back in the day when people from eG used to get together on a more regular basis.

The only reason I mentioned the weather is that I think of that as a heartier type of eating, esp b/c I know I've got to have foie gras... :wink: But that's not to say that they don't have seasonal menus--they definitely do. If you haven't been yet, add it to your list for a nice night out!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Our favorite restaurant, before we moved out of state, was Andiamo's in Haworth. The owner Don is extremely friendly and makes you feel so at home and his wife Sue is the best chef. Very creative specials. Love It!!

Life is too important to be taken seriously.[br]Oscar Wilde

Wondee's in Hackensack. Delicious Thai food. I've been to several Thai places, and I've never had as good a meal as I've had at Wondee's.

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

Zarole - Ridgewood

Consistant high food quality. Pretty interior. Friendly staff. Not NY priced.

And, very important! ---- BYO.

In fact will be there this Saturday. I think a late 80's La Mission Haut Brion in tow.

Viejo

"A dry crust of bread eaten in peace and quiet is better than a feast eaten where everyone argues" Proverbs (17:1).