• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What about Crystal?

OnlyTheBest

I got to thinkin about all the things i use on a daily basis even though i dont live in NOLA anymore...like crystal hot sauce and it made me wonder about Baumer Foods.

Since the plant is under the interstate ...and the city is being evacuated so there's no workers.... where is the hot sauce gonna come from?

are we looking at shortages of things like that? Stuff that is made in NOLA that has been drowed by the flood?

Does Baumer have another plant elsewhere if they are out of comission in NOLA?

I can't live without my crystal for all my foods. Do i need to go buy a case of it to last me for the next 2 years?

I read that McIlhenny, the maker of Tabasco sauce, is up & running, but don't know about Baumer. I'm wondering what's going to happen to my beloved Vietnamese iced coffee, which is made with the coffee & chickory blend from Café du Monde. (Still, my sacrifice pales in comparison to that of those who have lost everything.)

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

I read that McIlhenny, the maker of Tabasco sauce, is up & running, but don't know about Baumer. I'm wondering what's going to happen to my beloved Vietnamese iced coffee, which is made with the coffee & chickory blend from Café du Monde. (Still, my sacrifice pales in comparison to that of those who have lost everything.)

Yes of course...losing a food product is no big deal compared to what others have lost.... i was NEVER suggesting that. I was just thinking about all the things that we take for greanted that come from NOLA like.... crystal. I like tabasco too but to me... crytal and tabasco have different uses.

I am going to buy a few extra bottles of crystal...just in case. i go thru them at about one ever 2 weeks anyway so even a case would never go to waste.

Hard to say about the cafe du monde coffee and all the other stuff .... all these businesses have no workers if they are located in NOLA.... so.... what's the logical conclusion?

Very sad. All those lives built into all the city had to offer.

who knows what will happen.

I called Bruce Foods and Louisiana Gold Pepper Sauce will continue to be available as Bruce Foods wasn't affected by Katrina. I usually have to mail order it as it's not available up north, though when I or friends visited NOLa, I always stocked up.

LA Gold, with its mix of tabasco style (I think) and regular peppers is my favorite hot sauce.

Thanks,

Kevin

Bruce Foods

DarkSide Member #005-03-07-06

From today's Specialty Food News, published by the National Association for the Specialty Food Trade (NASFT):

The following NASFT members located along the Gulf Coast have announced that they are operational in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina: Andree's Wine Cheese & Things, Inc.; Antique Mall and Crown Restaurant; Bruce Foods Corp.; Cajun Creole Products, Inc.; Cajun Grocer; Calhoun Bend Mill Inc.; Chef John Folse & Company; Conrad Rice Mill, Inc. (New Iberia location); Contri Bros. Gift Basket; Gems Hard Candy Treats; Indianola Pecan House, Inc.; Magic Seasoning Blends; Martha Grace Foods, Inc.; Mississippi Cheese Straw Factory, Inc.; The Mississippi Gourmet; Oxford Falls Company; Panola Pepper Corporation; Superior Choice; Tabasco Brand Products; Tony Chachere's Creole Foods; Tri-State Distributors, Inc.; Two Mamas Inc.; World Spirit Food Group. More detailed information will be forthcoming as it is released.

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

From today's Specialty Food News, published by the National Association for the Specialty Food Trade (NASFT):
The following NASFT members located along the Gulf Coast have announced that they are operational in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina: Andree's Wine Cheese & Things, Inc.; Antique Mall and Crown Restaurant; Bruce Foods Corp.; Cajun Creole Products, Inc.; Cajun Grocer; Calhoun Bend Mill Inc.; Chef John Folse & Company; Conrad Rice Mill, Inc. (New Iberia location); Contri Bros. Gift Basket; Gems Hard Candy Treats; Indianola Pecan House, Inc.; Magic Seasoning Blends; Martha Grace Foods, Inc.; Mississippi Cheese Straw Factory, Inc.; The Mississippi Gourmet; Oxford Falls Company; Panola Pepper Corporation; Superior Choice; Tabasco Brand Products; Tony Chachere's Creole Foods; Tri-State Distributors, Inc.; Two Mamas Inc.; World Spirit Food Group. More detailed information will be forthcoming as it is released.

Thanks Suzy... i dont see Baumer foods on there but i am now fully stocked up on Crystal for a VERY long time. By the time i run out they should be going full tilt boogie again. thanks for the list.