• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

La Côte Basque (Closed)

Felonius

It just goes to show that in today's Atkins-crazy environment, French cuisine has become a thing of the past. (at least, French cuisine as represented by NY-area chefs.)

In what way? Is there any evidence that la Cote Basque is very representative of French cuisine as cooked by other French chefs in the New York area? I don't think Bryan Miller implied as much. Of the five current four star restaurants in NYC today, four are French restaurant and I'll bet that most people would have a hard time eating at all five and picking out the one that wasn't. I see mikeycooks claims all of the 4-star restaurants are French. A good case could be made that the food at the restaurant with an American chef is as French as the food at the other four.

I'm not sure Atkins has all that much sway over diners, especially when they eat out, but why would you say there's more carbohydrates in French food than in American food, Italian food or Chinese food? French food is traditionally high in fats and proteins. Contemporary French food adds more vegetables and lowers the fat. Bread is always optional and potatoes are no more common than in American restaurants.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

I see mikeycooks claims all of the 4-star restaurants are French. A good case could be made that the food at the restaurant with an American chef is as French as the food at the other four.

Personally I have always felt Bouley to be an essentially french restaurant (if you had to pick a style) and his work experience in France (under Verge, Bocuse, Robuchon, etc.) and the U.S. (Le Cirque, Le Perigord, La Cote Basque oddly enough, and Montrachet) seem to reflect this.

"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."

~ Fernand Point

Personally I have always felt Bouley to be an essentially french restaurant (if you had to pick a style) and his work experience in France (under Verge, Bocuse, Robuchon, etc.) and the U.S. (Le Cirque, Le Perigord, La Cote Basque oddly enough, and Montrachet) seem to reflect this.

Essentially, I agree with you. (I'd also be willing to consider The French Laundry a French restaurant as well.) This makes me wonder how anyone can say French cuisine is a thing of the past in New York. It's seriously being challenged worldwide, but not by followers of the Atkins diet and that challenge is late in coming to New York.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Essentially, I agree with you. (I'd also be willing to consider The French Laundry a French restaurant as well.) This makes me wonder how anyone can say French cuisine is a thing of the past in New York. It's seriously being challenged worldwide, but not by followers of the Atkins diet and that challenge is late in coming to New York.

Consider me to be in resounding agreement. :biggrin:

And apparently the Times agrees.

Edited by Jason Perlow (log)

"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."

~ Fernand Point

If Cote Basque is closing, where the heck do I go to get my annual Cassoulet fix? There's was pretty darn good.

Well, Rachou is thinking of turning the space into a brasserie. In that event, you'll probably be able to continue getting your cassoulet fix.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

• 6 months later...
When I found out that La Côte Basque was closing its doors, I was sad -- irrationally so, since it later occurred to me that I hadn't actually eaten there in almost 14 years. I remember the occasion clearly because it was the birthday of my ex-fiance, almost a year to the date that I sort of, more or less, left him at the altar. Still guilt-ridden (but happily about to leave New York for an extended stay in New Orleans), I thought I should create a celebration, one in which we'd emphasize his birthday rather than my departure and finally close the door on what was left of our relationship.

The End of An Era: La Côte Basque [1958 -- 2004] (Julia Reed) (from this weekend's NYTimes DIGEST update. You may have to scroll down for the appropriate link.)

Another swan song as another legend exits, stage left.

If the end of an era is upon us, will the new one be just as good?

Thoughts and opinions, please.

Soba

LCB was the first fancy dancy restaurant I can recall; I remember they tried to foist off a Beaujolais Nouveau in March... I navigated to a Santenay that I was very pleased to consume. The food was excellently prepared and left me with a taste for dining that remains to this day...

I dined there once three years ago and had a very expensive and truly awful meal. The only remotely enjoyable item of the four courses ordered was the chocolate soufflee. It still stands in my memory as the worst price/value ratio I've ever encountered in NYC. In contrast, I've enjoyed meals at the other French dinosaurs (Lutece, La Grenouille, La Caravelle), despite the fact they were not a good value for the dollar.

Sorry to kick a dog when he's down, but the $300 La Cote Basque removed from my wallet left a permanent scar on my memory.

I went there last year -- for dessert only -- in jeans. It was pretty funny. It was a spur of the moment kind-of thing, and we only wanted dessert.

My friend and I both got the chocolate souffle. And, it was totally worth it.

I have to say, I would never have gone here for a full meal though.