• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Looking for Hash Browns

AlisonA

I'm looking for a diner that serves hash browns. Home fries seem to be the potato of choice around here, which I like but, hey, they are not hash browns. :raz:

Any suggestions of a place in the Millburn-Livingston area?

Thanks!

AlisonA

Still searching for hash browns in Jersey.

Alison,

By hashbrowns I assume you mean shredded potatoes rather than the often times awful sliced potato "home fry". Perhaps something in between a home fry and a Mickey D's deep fried "hash Brown" patty.

Sorry, no places come to mind in our area. (Alot of help I am, huh?)

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85

the creepy little luncheonett in Ringwood serves em...they even put them on egg sandwiches....thats a little far though

t

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Don't think you will be able to find any. Hash browns are just not indigenous to the NY Metro area. Home fries rule. I think I got them once in an Easton Pa coffee shop. Might be easier to make them yourself, though...

Alison,

By hashbrowns I assume you mean shredded potatoes rather than the often times awful sliced potato "home fry".  Perhaps something in between a home fry and a Mickey D's deep fried "hash Brown" patty. 

Sorry, no places come to mind in our area. (Alot of help I am, huh?)

Yes, shredded potatoes, and no, NOT the preformed patties ubiquitous at fast food places.

Oh, well. If I find any I will post :biggrin:

AlisonA

Still searching for hash browns in Jersey.

We need Waffle House in NJ! They have some mighty tasty hash browns, probably the best in the country. As far as NJ, IHOP serves hash browns, and they're pretty good. And although I hate to admit it, I do enjoy McDonald's hash brown patties (but I'm definitely not a fan of their burgers!)

The mention of Waffle House jogged my brain to recall another of that ilk, Cracker Barrel. Another middle-america appeal type place, they are right to stay away from the NY Metro. But they would probably also have hash browns, and you might find one in South Jersey (Vineland area) or in Western Jersey (Delaware River). Not 100% on Cracker Barrel for hash browns, but probably.

There is a Cracker Barrel right off Route 80 West right past Rockaway. 

172 Howard Blvd.

Mt. Arlington NJ 07856-1308

(973) 398-8404

Oooh yes. Forgot about them. One of my favorite restaurants and good hash browns. This Cracker Barrel is the only one in Northern NJ, and it is definitely worth the 45 minute trip (occasionally!) for me to go there. There are a few more in South Jersey.

Oooh yes. Forgot about them. One of my favorite restaurants and good hash browns. This Cracker Barrel is the only one in Northern NJ, and it is definitely worth the 45 minute trip (occasionally!) for me to go there. There are a few more in South Jersey.

OK, I'll come out of the closet on this one. I LOVE CRACKER BARREL!! there I said it. The food is actually as made from scratch as it could be for a chain restaurant, and the chicken and dumplings are super as is the chicken fried steak and the fried okra. In anutshell, it's good, cheap eats.

Eric

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85