• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

splitting wine pairings

elfin

Have read an article comparing 4 restaurants concerning Chef's Tastings Menu options. the article mentioned that two out of the four places allowed splitting the wine pairings with no problem. I understand that the pours were still large. Is this becoming more acceptable, requested and done? Alinea (Chicago) allowed the split while Per Se (New York) did not. Having a semi-low tolerance I for one would welcome this option. I would certaintly enjoy the food more if I was not drinking as much. Is this getting more common? Does the restaurant (and waitstaff) hate this?

What disease did cured ham actually have?

Megan sandwich: White bread, Miracle Whip and Italian submarine dressing. {Megan is 4 y.o.}

Have read an article comparing 4 restaurants concerning Chef's Tastings Menu options. the article mentioned that two out of the four places allowed splitting the wine pairings with no problem.  I understand that the pours were still large.  Is this becoming more acceptable, requested and done?  Alinea (Chicago) allowed the split while Per Se (New York) did not.  Having a  semi-low tolerance I for one would welcome this option.  I would certaintly enjoy the food more if I was not drinking as much.  Is this getting more common?  Does the restaurant  (and waitstaff) hate this?

I have not heard of this being done before...interesting concept. Great for the customer but time consuming for staff. I do not know of any Vancouver restaurants that do this as most wine flights consist of approx 2oz pours in 12-16oz Riedel glasses.

Cheers,

Stephen

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

We definitely did this at Alinea and I believe Moto as well. The pours are a lttle shorter, but certainly adequate. It was a very nice way to do the dinner and much appreciated by us. It certainly encouraged my wife and I to do the pairings.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

The practice not only of splitting but of individual glasses with each course has been traditional in many restaurants in Europe for many years, this giving not only the chef but the sommelier the opportunity to show of his/her talents as well. In fact, so well known is the concept that it has even caught on in tiny little Israel. In

my own experience, pours are generous and in better restaurants appropriately shaped and quality wine glasses are used.

I think you will also find this practice picking up in an increasing number of American restaurants that offer a degustation style menu.

The practice not only of splitting but of individual glasses with each course has been traditional in many restaurants in Europe for many years, this giving not only the chef but the sommelier the opportunity to show of his/her talents as well.  In fact, so well known is the concept that it has even caught on in tiny little Israel.  In

my own experience, pours are generous and in better restaurants appropriately shaped and quality wine glasses are used.

I think you will also find this practice picking up in an increasing number of American restaurants that offer a degustation style menu.

Interesting to hear of your experiences. In Vancouver, sommeliers will give you a taster of wine, but we do not split pairings up. Usually we offer 6-8 different wines with each course with on average 2oz pours of each (we have tough anti-drink/drive rules here).

Cheers,

Stephen

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

A version of splitting was done when I was last at Charlie Trotter. I was able to have a half pour of the wine selected for each course. With all the wines that were served, this was the option that would result in less impairment.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

My wife and I regularly split wine pairings. We're happy to share a single glass, but usually we're given a glass each. Sometimes we don't say anything, and the sommelier starts bringing out two glasses once he figures it out.

Bruce

If given the opportunity, IMO it is clearly the way to go with a Tasting Menu. All I need is a couple of sips with each realtively small portion. The same is even more true for my wife.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz