• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Leftover Crab

daniellewiley

Probably too late now Peppyre, but...

if you haven't decided on their final resting place...how about crab and pesto lasagne or crab spinach dip?

Something like that, that won't be harmed by freezing, (not really) and then bake it on a day when you have to entertain but have no time.

cm

If they've not been eaten already, howzabout some overstuffed (with crab) California handrolls? Toss your crabmeat with some Kewpie mayo, slice up a ripe avo and some crisp hothouse cucumber, make just a bit of sushi rice, and roll as you eat. That's what I do sometimes w/ crab leftovers when I'm too lazy to do anything else.

The other thing you could do is a ceviche type deal where you toss them with fresh tomatoes, onions, jalapenos, cilantro and lime juice with a dash of hot sauce - only don't let it sit in the lime juice too long as it obviously needs no cooking. That with some crisp corn tortillas fried in lard from the local Mexican market actually sounds really good right now. Damn those late night hunger pangs!

sg

Your having leftover crab leads me to suspect that you didn't taste it often enough while preparing it to make sure it was really good. The next time, be more cautious, sample it frequently to make sure it's alright. I always do. Usually, I have to overcome my concern for the well being of my guests and tell myself "Okay, no more sampling. They'll just have to take their chances".

"A fool", he said, "would have swallowed it". Samuel Johnson

Actually, I just happened to buy a very large crab to eat myself, which usually I can do, but that particular evening I had absolutely no appetite. I think I had about a pound leftover and well, I just threw it in the freezer. Living on the West Coast, it's rare that I get bad seafood. I'm very picky and if it's pre-cooked, as this was, I have to know the exact time, where, and how it was stored. I bought a coho salmon the day before this and I asked them when and where it was caught. A little taken aback by that, but I like fresh seafood as everyone should. I think I may make it into a dip of some sort now that it's been frozen, still not sure what to do though.