• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

'75 Lafite: Why so Cheap?

raxelita

Morning Folks,

I saw a 1975 Lafite on a NYC restaurant winelist last night going for $200. I was always under the impression tha this was a fine/not horrible year, and I've had superb '76 and'78 Lafite. Can anyone explain to me why this vintage migth be so cheap?

Thanks, R

Drink maker, heart taker!

I notice you don't name the restaurant! :-)

I agree with you re: the 76 and 78 (I especially enjoyed the 76 (what a nose!).

As for the 75.

I never tasted the 75 Lafitte but I have tasted a number of other Bordeaux from that vintage with very mixed results.

!975 was a very "hot" year in Bordeaux and many of the wines were/are very tannic -some with raisiny or "cooked" flavor notes.

There were some very fine wines produced--many very slow to mature and many will remain tannic beasts that will never come around.

Robert Parker notes that the 75 Lafitte may have a problem with bottle variation--he's had some very good bottles and some not so good bottles.

Anyway--the 1975 is now thirty years old and I would want to know where/how the bottle was stored (how did the restaurant come to own the wine etc).

I would think that at $200/bottle the restaurant is trying to "move" the wine.

Were there other vintages of Lafitte on the list and what are they priced at?

were there other first growth Bordeaux on the list (especially any from 75 and how were they priced?

Finally--I would not hesitate to engage the sommelier and ask why he has priced the wine at $200 a bottle. I have found that once a sommelier knows that you enjkoy fine wine and have a little knowledge he/she will be quite forthright about their wine list.

I have had a sommelier on more than one occasion, steer me away from a wine (bargain).

For eg --I once saw the 90 Pichon Lalande on a list for a "song" since 90 is an excellent vintage for Bordeaux and Pichon is a very consistant performer--I asked about the price and was informed that Pichon made a very mediocre wine that year--hence the low price.

If the sommelier can not giver you a good answer as to why the 75 lafitte is priced as it is then I would stay away from it.

Raxelita, Hello...

The 1975 Lafite was always a "problematic" wine, having been drinkable quite early after its release and starting to show signs of premature aging 1985. Following are my two most recent tasting notes for the wine. The bottles from which I taste are usually from pristine storage conditions. That does not say of course that some bottles have survived better than those I tasted.

Chateau Lafite Rothschild, Pauillac, 1975: A wine that might always have been categorized as excellent Bordeaux but not at all typical and perhaps not fully excellent Lafite and now clearly showing its age. Darkening in color, taking on a distinctly sweet cedar and green olive set of flavors that overlay the once rich but now not at all generous currant and tobacco. Past its peak and falling. Drink up. Current Score 86. (Lafite Vertical 18 Jul 1998)

Chateau Lafite Rothschild, Pauillac, 1975: In regular format bottles this once good but never great Lafite is now so badly faded, showing signs of caramelization and aromas of balsamic vinegar. In magnum sized bottles not yet showing signs of extremis but with only the skimpiest of fruits and far too many herbal, earthy and green olive overlays. No longer scorable. (Re-tasted four times from regular format bottles and twice from magnums, 22 May 2003)

As to price, a quick check reveals that the wine is selling in wine shops in North America and Europe for prices varying from the equivalent of US$ 150 – 400. I'm not sure if anyone is buying or not.

Best,

Rogov

Any number of reasons.

Did the restaurant get it cheap themselves?

Do they need to make room for something else, and to so are they getting rid of this inventory of Lafite (and maybe some other wines)?

Did they discover the wine to be "less than" and are now looking to dump in on an unsuspecting public?

Has it always been priced at $200 from when they first received it?

On winesearcher.com, a bottle of 75 Lafite has an asking price of anywhere from $154 to $460.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

I found it odd because all of their other first growths were priced normally(for New York):

Lafite 78 $585, 82 $1000, 86 $650, 90 $550

Margaux 83 $675, 86 $650

I imagine they must want to unload it, but would you give it a try after conuslting about proper storage etc? It seems like it would be an interesting study with a game group.

Drink maker, heart taker!

I might.

First I would see what the sommelier said about it.

Then if several people were "sharing" the cost and if we were all

ok with taking a bit of a risk for the money.

and-if we were willing to order another wine should the Lafitte not be

good drinking.--why not.

could be a bargain or it could be a bust!

also possible that the sommelier would help out and if the Lafitte is not

at least decent to drink he/she would give you a deal on something else from the list.

You are correct.

However-I think the key here is to engage the sommeliere and work out a back up plan should the Lafitte prove wanting.

With older wines it is always the customer who accepts the risk but a good restaurant will do much to ensure a customer is satisfied (especially one who orders wine with a meal).

It would be fun and interesting to see what the sommelier "thinks" about the 75 Lafitte and how strongly they recommend it. I might take a chance if the sommelier had recently tasted it and could provide some information to support the choice.

If I sensed they were not "behind" the wine--I would probably look elsewhere on the list.

In the end a good sommelier should relish a situation like this!!!!

ie. a wine lover who is curious and willing to be adventurous!!!

(also one with some disposable income!!!!)