• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Opening Cakery & Coffee House

DragonflyDesserts

Hey Dragonfly Desserts,

How are things coming along?  I hope all is well.  :biggrin:

Things are going great! We did a "soft opening" last Wednesday so we could get in the swing of things but its been anything but soft. We've had lines out the door and have been very busy! We have our Grand Opening tomorrow and Saturday and I am very excited. I have been baking away, providing scones, muffins, danishes, quiche, cookies and cakes for the coffee house. The whole town is a'buzz and loves the urban feel of the place. We did the espresso part right and can make better drinks than Starbucks would ever hope to :wink: I think the cake and coffees is a great marriage :smile: My husband took two weeks off of his job to manage and train and hire. We are closed Sundays, open a half day on Saturday and Monday through Friday 6am to 9pm. I work Monday through friday and have an assistant baker. We truly never expected such immediate success so the challange is to manage it so we don't have to live down there. Here are some pictures. They aren't the greatest, we did a little more work behind the bar, but hopefully I will get some more soon with better pictures of the cakes and pastries, but you get the idea.

coffeehousefront.jpg

coffehouseinside2.jpg

coffeehouseinside1.jpg

Thanks for you interest!

Cheryl Brown

Dragonfly Desserts

If you freeze them on your own, just wrap them well to freeze.... but thaw unwrapped (unless you're in a humid climate).

I haven't frozen already-baked pp (so this is the voice of inexperience!), but wouldn't thawing them still wrapped cause the condensation to end up on the outside of the wrapping, rather on the pp itself?

Life is short. Eat the roasted cauliflower first.

If you freeze them on your own, just wrap them well to freeze.... but thaw unwrapped (unless you're in a humid climate).

I haven't frozen already-baked pp (so this is the voice of inexperience!), but wouldn't thawing them still wrapped cause the condensation to end up on the outside of the wrapping, rather on the pp itself?

I was aprehensive about saying that, because I think that depending on the climate you live in, things may differ. I live in a DRY DRY place. There is a very limited time during the summer when we have any humidity. So for me, opening them up works best. I also have one display cooler (showcase) that's nice and dry. Things thaw well in it unwrapped.

I find that if something is frozen, even if it's wrapped, the item will still give off some moisture when it thaws - so the wrapping will keep it in.

Unfortunately, I think this means that you have to test it yourself - bake off a couple of pieces and try thawing a couple of ways. It works for me though - so hopefully it will work for others.