• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

STAT suggestions for dinner Friday

shacke

Due to unforseen circumstances, Studiokitchen will be closed Friday and my long awaited birthday dinner for 8 is not to be.

Marigold is apparently closed for a few weeks. I am hoping to get into Pif but since it is so late in the game to book 8 people (thank goodness its summer), I am seeking opinions assuming that fails. BYO preferred but not a deal breaker. Trying to avoid Starr but we'll see.

I saw a place called Cucina Forte in CC. Anyone been?

Any other b-day worthy places with a shot at 8 people this Fri, please chime in.

sigh....

Evan

Dough can sense fear.

Ohhhhh, that's rough. Did Shola give you a reason?

Cucina Forte is solid Italian. There are others I prefer, starting with Tre Scalini and followed by l'Angolo, but CF isn't bad.

You might try a call to Lolita. They don't usually take reservations on weekends, but might for a group of eight; that might get you in. Other than that, the only suggestion I have is to make a list of your favorite spots and work your way down it...

Ohhhhh, that's rough.  Did Shola give you a reason?

Cucina Forte is solid Italian.  There are others I prefer, starting with Tre Scalini and followed by l'Angolo, but CF isn't bad.

You might try a call to Lolita.  They don't usually take reservations on weekends, but might for a group of eight; that might get you in.  Other than that, the only suggestion I have is to make a list of your favorite spots and work your way down it...

Yes, a solid reason and I totally understand.

I like your suggestions. tre Scalini is our fave but been there for bday before and my brother has already flown in for that one - lol. Still on the list. L'angolo is good but teeny tiny. Will have to check in on Lolita. Thought of Matyson too but thats a tight fit.

Thanks pahdner. BTW - on call tomorrow so I am missing you pre extradition dinner sadly.

Evan

Dough can sense fear.

Nan is an excellent restaurant out in West Philly, BYOB, and might have room on a friday, especially in the summer. Cuisine leans Asian, but not exclusively.

I know it's not where you were thinking of, but not so far away for you: Majolica in Phoenixville is a nice new BYOB, and although they've been kind-of busy, they might be able to squeeze in an 8 at some time during the evening.

http://www.majolicarestaurant.com/

I think you should still try for Pif, tell them the whole sad story, lay it on thick, how can they resist?!?

If it weren't for the wine issue, I'd say you could get a fine meal at any of several high-end places for $100 per person, but you might go bankrupt on wine for 8 at Lacroix, or Striped Bass, or Brasserie Perrier. You could eat, then come home and drink.... not quite the birthday vibe you were hoping for.

But as Andrew says, just start with a list of your favorite places and go down the list, you have the the benefit of it being the deadest part of the summer, you could get lucky.

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

I think you should still try for Pif, tell them the whole sad story, lay it on thick, how can they resist?!?

You ain't seen beggin' til you see me tomorrow on the phone. On my knees type stuff. White knuckle type stuff. At least I have a good long relationship with them. If that doesnt work I plan on crying. That used to work for my ex girlfriend when the cops stopped her. :biggrin:

Evan

Dough can sense fear.

Evan:

Why don't you see if Greg can squeeze you all in at Rx? I'm sure he'd be happy to accomodate you if he could.

If your heart is set on Italian, Cucina Forte is pretty good. I also really like L'Angolo and have been there with parties of 6 or 7 for a birthday and we fit just fine. I guess it depends on whether there are any other large parties already booked in the time frame you had in mind.

I understand that Umbria in Chestnut Hill (7131 Germantown Ave.) is excellent, though I've never had the pleasure. Friends have all spoken quite highly of it however. And I think this place got a rave from Rich Pawlak as well.

And my last suggestion would be Overtures, particularly if you've never been. Great atmosphere and Peter's cooking is sublime.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Ohhhhh, that's rough.  Did Shola give you a reason?

Cucina Forte is solid Italian.  There are others I prefer, starting with Tre Scalini and followed by l'Angolo, but CF isn't bad.

You might try a call to Lolita.  They don't usually take reservations on weekends, but might for a group of eight; that might get you in.  Other than that, the only suggestion I have is to make a list of your favorite spots and work your way down it...

I just had a dinner for eight at L'Angolo for a friend's birthday. Still rocks: one of the best pork chops I've had in a long time. It's not SK, of course, you'd have to adjust your sights and your winelist, but it has its charm and *damn* good food, as old-fashioned Italian goes.

Also, keep in mind that a number of places have gone BYO for the Summer: Bliss, Meritage - either of these might do you right if you called, explained the situation, and asked if they'd do a tasting menu. I happen to know that business is slow all over town, even for Summertime. I'm probably forgetting other places that would fall in the same category. Davio's used to do BYO Fridays. If they still do, that's a kitchen that would probably turn out a tasty tasting. Tuesday/Wednesday should be enough lead time, particularly for a place eager to book an eight-top.

Evan:

Why don't you see if Greg can squeeze you all in at Rx?  I'm sure he'd be happy to accomodate you if he could.

If your heart is set on Italian, Cucina Forte is pretty good.  I also really like L'Angolo and have been there with parties of 6 or 7 for a birthday and we fit just fine.  I guess it depends on whether there are any other large parties already booked in the time frame you had in mind.

I understand that Umbria in Chestnut Hill (7131 Germantown Ave.) is excellent, though I've never had the pleasure.  Friends have all spoken quite highly of it however.  And I think this place got a rave from Rich Pawlak as well.

And my last suggestion would be Overtures, particularly if you've never been.  Great atmosphere and Peter's cooking is sublime.

Yes on both Overtures and Umbria. I haven't been to Umbria in about a year, but that was a great meal, and I don't think it will have changed much. Overtures is my fallback place whenever I need a table on short notice - and Peter will cook for you, if you explain the situation and ask for a degustation. Especially if you flatter him revoltingly.

'Course, none of these is SK. I feel bad for your brother and his carry-on wines. You too :raz:

Why don't you see if Greg can squeeze you all in at Rx?  I'm sure he'd be happy to accomodate you if he could.

I'll second this. Rx is a great choice for a warm summer evening. That's especially true if you can sit outside, but even if not, it's a bright, airy space. (And you'll be staying in the same general West Philly neighborhood; a karmic consideration.)

Sorry to hear about Studiokitchen; I still hope to get there one day. We could fit you here, even do a special menu if you like. Call me on my cell, 215.275.9229 and we'll come up with something.

That said, if you're going somewhere else: I love Lolita - when people ask me for a rec, that's numbah one. Cucina Forte has teh distinction of making both the best gnocchi and the best ricotta cheesecake in the city. And that is all the positive commentmaking I have to make.

owner, Rx

Sorry to hear about Studiokitchen; I still hope to get there one day. We could fit you here, even do a special menu if you like. Call me on my cell, 215.275.9229 and we'll come up with something.

That said, if you're going somewhere else: I love Lolita - when people ask me for a rec, that's numbah one. Cucina Forte has teh distinction of making both the best gnocchi and the best ricotta cheesecake in the city. And that is all the positive commentmaking I have to make.

Greg

I was just going to follow up with a post that I booked with Pif and saw your post. Thanks so much for your generosity. You are a stand up guy and I truly appreciate it. Thanks also for your thoughts on the other places too.

Evan

Dough can sense fear.

I haven't been to Rx, so I can't personally recommend it, but it's been highly praised on this board. I can vouch for Nan as an excellent choice. BYOB, thai-fusion, what's not to like?

I just went to Lolita for the first time the other week and I had a great time. A few things to consider for Lolita, BYOB and BYOT (T=Tequila). They give you mixes (I had a mango mix) and you add your Tequila. Food was fresh (especially the salsas) and guac appetizer and pork was superb. But, besides the good food, there's nothing like Capo Giro across the street for dessert. :raz:

Only downside is I don't think they take reservations on Friday night. Good luck!

I haven't been to Rx, so I can't personally recommend it, but it's been highly praised on this board.  I can vouch for Nan as an excellent choice.  BYOB, thai-fusion, what's not to like?

I just went to Lolita for the first time the other week and I had a great time.  A few things to consider for Lolita, BYOB and BYOT (T=Tequila).  They give you mixes (I had a mango mix) and you add your Tequila.  Food was fresh (especially the salsas) and guac appetizer and pork was superb.  But, besides the good food, there's nothing like Capo Giro across the street for dessert.  :raz: 

Only downside is I don't think they take reservations on Friday night.  Good luck!

Hmm. Another lolitaphile. Sounds like its worth a try. Cilantro is my Kryptonite but there must be a way around it somehow......

Evan

Dough can sense fear.

I haven't been to Rx, so I can't personally recommend it, but it's been highly praised on this board.  I can vouch for Nan as an excellent choice.  BYOB, thai-fusion, what's not to like?

I just went to Lolita for the first time the other week and I had a great time.  A few things to consider for Lolita, BYOB and BYOT (T=Tequila).  They give you mixes (I had a mango mix) and you add your Tequila.  Food was fresh (especially the salsas) and guac appetizer and pork was superb.  But, besides the good food, there's nothing like Capo Giro across the street for dessert.  :raz: 

Only downside is I don't think they take reservations on Friday night.  Good luck!

Hmm. Another lolitaphile. Sounds like its worth a try. Cilantro is my Kryptonite but there must be a way around it somehow......

Evan

It shouldn't be a big problem. They do a "Haute Mexicaine" kinda thing, and many of their dishes are based on flavors other than cilantro-tomato-chiles. They're mostly successful (I particularly like their mole) , though I have on occasion ended a meal wishing *something* had been a little less fullsome, and a bit more subtle. I'm not sure the base material lends itself to this. Still, I like them a lot.

One caution: when you do go, bring wine, or your own full-bore premixed margaritas. I found their mixers to not be very good - plus they load them down with so much ice that after a few minutes they're useless. For over $10 a pitcher of, essentially, juice, I expect better.

I wouldn't worry about cilantro too much either. I describe Lolita to people as a great restaurant that happens to be Mexican-influenced in the best Diana Kennedy-Rick Bayless kind of way, not as a great Mexican restaurant. That is too narrow a definition of what they do.

owner, Rx