• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

best cheap place to eat

herbacidal

Okay, so give me some options for the best place to eat just off I-87 north of NYC.

Cheap, good solid food is what I'm looking for. No more than 5 minutes from the highway. This is meant to be a pit stop during a road trip.

I imagine a good diner to be the best bet, but I would be happy to be hear of other options.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Okay, so give me some options for the best place to eat just off I-87 north of NYC.

Cheap, good solid food is what I'm looking for.  No more than 5 minutes from the highway.  This is meant to be a pit stop during a road trip.

I imagine a good diner to be the best bet, but I would be happy to be hear of other options.

How about Barnstormer BBQ in Newburgh, NY... about 4 minutes from exit 17 on the Thruway, on Route 17K in the shopping plaza. Ribs, pulled pork and more...

• Rte. 17K • Newburgh • NY • 12550 • (845) 568-5700.

MMMMMmmmm Barnstormer

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

How about Barnstormer BBQ in Newburgh, NY... about 4 minutes from exit 17 on the Thruway, on Route 17K in the shopping plaza. Ribs, pulled pork and more...

• Rte. 17K • Newburgh • NY • 12550 • (845) 568-5700.

Thanks for the mention!

Barnstormer BBQ

Rt. 9W

Fort Montgomery NY

845 446 0912

Cheap, good solid food is what I'm looking for.  No more than 5 minutes from the highway.  This is meant to be a pit stop during a road trip.

Well, I imagine you might pass this joint so early in your trip that you wouldn't be ready for a pitstop yet, but maybe you can plan to have breakfast there at the start of your trip?

The Nanuet Diner is an old childhood favorite of mine--my family used to go there all the time. It's just off an 287/87 exit onto local Route 59, and across the street from the Nanuet Mall. Classic Greek-influenced Jersey diner fare, just crept slightly over the line into New York State. Mind you, I haven't been back to this place in years, but if it's anything like it used to be, you'll get a damn good meal. Here's a map.

Well, I imagine you might pass this joint so early in your trip that you wouldn't be ready for a pitstop yet, but maybe you can plan to have breakfast there at the start of your trip?

The Nanuet Diner is an old childhood favorite of mine--my family used to go there all the time. It's just off an 287/87 exit onto local Route 59, and across the street from the Nanuet Mall. Classic Greek-influenced Jersey diner fare, just crept slightly over the line into New York State. Mind you, I haven't been back to this place in years, but if it's anything like it used to be, you'll get a damn good meal. Here's a map.

It's not that the diner is early in the trip, it's more that it's a decent bit off the route.

Daniel,

We're going from Philly north to Montreal. Just past NYC is just about when I think we should take a meal break. Barnstormer sounds good. Directions? Yahoo Maps doesn't work right.

Also, is there a good place about 3 hours south of Montreal off I-87?

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Barnstormer Bbq ....exit 17 off rt87 NY Thruway east on rt 17k half a mile maybe on the left in a partially demolished strip mall...Sign may still be there for AMES PLAZA

Barnstormers sign is off the facade of the building ...look for the neon pig in the window :rolleyes:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showto...&hl=barnstormer

with pictures

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

It's not that the diner is early in the trip, it's more that it's a decent bit off the route.

Daniel,

We're going from Philly north to Montreal.  Just past NYC is just about when I think we should take a meal break.  Barnstormer sounds good.  Directions?  Yahoo Maps doesn't work right. 

Word.. Great stuff.. So excited for you.. Have such a great time.. Please report back on your trip..I will be in Montreal in like a month and would love to hear about your trip.. We both have the same interests.. I like doing things too!!!! :biggrin:

Edited by Daniel (log)

Three hours south puts you right around Saratog Springs. There are already some threads here on Saratoga dining options which include strong recommendations from John Sconzo (docsconz) for Chez Sophie - but that's only open for dinner.

For lunch I'll suggest two options:

1) Hattie's Chicken Shack on Phila Street in downtown Saratoga. Old school Southern cooking but the owner who took it over from Hatie McDaniel about 5 - 6 years ago has updated the menu with a few newer items. The fried chicken is outstanding and I'm also very fond of their greens.

2) Very tasty wood fired pizza at Bruno's, out on the edge of town across from the racetrack entrance. Bruno's is old school pizza with a nice thin crust that gets a bit of smokiness from the wood fire - it's not chi-chi foo-foo new school wood fired pizza. We're talking red and white checkered vinyl tablecloths here - nice place for a moderately priced lunch.

Allow about ten minutes or so to get from the highway over to these places.

Okay, now I'm confused. You did say you were looking for diners off I-87 just north of New York City, right? Well, the diner I cited, at least to judge by the scale on Google maps as well as my memory, is just a smidge over 1000 feet from the Nanuet exit on I-87/287 AKA The New York State Thruway. So I seem to be missing something here ... ? (Not trying to be difficult, just having trouble visualizing your route ... are you coming up from New York City, or picking up I-87 from the New Jersey Turnpike or Garden State Parkway etc.?)

Edited to add: oh wait, you say in another post that you're starting in Philly. So yeah, you probably are missing that bit of I-87/287 coming up from Manhattan ... (don't mind me, I'm a map freak... :smile: )

Edited by mizducky (log)

Edited to add: oh wait, you say in another post that you're starting in Philly. So yeah, you probably are missing that bit of I-87/287 coming up from Manhattan ... (don't mind me, I'm a map freak... :smile: )

Yup, that's it. I forgot to mention that bit. In my head, it was already at I-287 before crossing the state line and becoming I-87. I forgot about that portion of I-87.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Three hours south puts you right around Saratog Springs. There are already some threads here on Saratoga dining options which include strong recommendations from John Sconzo (docsconz) for Chez Sophie - but that's only open for dinner.

For lunch I'll suggest two options:

1) Hattie's Chicken Shack on Phila Street in downtown Saratoga. Old school Southern cooking but the owner who took it over from Hatie McDaniel about 5 - 6 years ago has updated the menu with a few newer items. The fried chicken is outstanding and I'm also very fond of their greens.

Allow about ten minutes or so to get from the highway over to these places.

Is Hattie's open for dinner? Don't have time to check right now. I'll check in a few hours.

Is Saratoga Springs' downtown large?

Carswell, it's a bit of laziness, but even searching within Google and Egullet took 10 minutes before I could get Schwartz's address.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Hattie's is open for lunch and dinner. I think they also used to serve Southern style breakfasts in the summer when hattie owned it but doubt that they do breakfast anymore.

Downtown Saratoga is very small. The business district is mostly centered on a stretch of Broadway that's about four blocks in length. Find the Rip van Dam Hotel(on a corner with a Starbucks just to the left under part of their structure) and the Adelphi - Phila starts there and runs down a hill. Hattie's is on the left in the second or third block. It's conveniently located just a hundred feet or so from a Ben & Jerry's store - nice place to get a cone for the road.

Also - if you need caffeine - Uncommon Grounds is on Broadway about a block north of Phila Street on the right. They make a damn good latte and cappuccino or certainly did on the few occasions that I tried it.

• 4 weeks later...

Unfortunately we ended up not using any suggestions.

On the way up, we stopped off in Jersey at a diner just off I-287.

On the way back we had a meal at an Irish place in the Lake George area.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.