• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Late evening dinner between EWR and Parisppany

nizza

Just a side note I wouldn't send my dog to pal's cabin in W. Orange... years ago it was great now unless you're a tried and true steak eater or like mushroom soup (yummy there) - most of their food falls short of anything I'd personally recommend. Okay, call me Ms Picky?!

P.S. on a side note the Harold's in Parsippany has big sandwiches like the one in Edison? I heard that our old family friend :wub: (one of my my grandpa's friends from years ago [My grandfather passed on about 15 yrs ago] -so they don't really know me...) owns/runs the one down in Edison he used to own the Claremont which was a fantastic place on the corner of Bloomfield avenue behind what used to be a white castle, now I think it's all a car lot for some big car dealer. We heard the one in Parsippany is another person/owner all together. Please feel free to update me on my information! Thanks...

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.

the Harold's in Parsippany has big sandwiches like the one in Edison?  ...  We heard the one in Parsippany is another person/owner all together.  Please feel free to update me on my information!  Thanks...

Yes, they are different owners. And the Edison location is FAR superior!

I believe Edison's is owned by Harold himself.

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

FYI - the traveler in question went to An American Grill, but he didn't say hello to Lou. He had some comments regarding the food, which I'll forward to Lou anonymously for him. What struck me as weird is that we sent him to An American Grill specifically because there'd be a friendly face to make sure he was taken care of at a later hour. If you aren't going to take advantage of that, well, you figure out the rest. :wacko:

:laugh:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Nizza is the 3rd person, not the traveler in question. It was someone new to the boards and Nizza offered to post for him. That's all.

OK, since this question generated a lot of response, how about a report on their evening and dinner?

That's up to them to register at eGullet and report. He emailed me, but not with the instructions to post his email. You wouldn't want me to publically post correspondance without permission, would you? If he emails me and asks me to post it, I will.

That's up to them to register at eGullet and report. He emailed me, but not with the instructions to post his email. You wouldn't want me to publically post correspondance without permission, would you? If he emails me and asks me to post it, I will.

No, but it would be polite and incumbent on "Nizza" that after generating a question that aroused such interest on the board, to not leave all of us hanging and describe in a post, 3rd party or not, how the evening fared.

For the last time, Nizza is not the one who had the dinner. He was just posting a request for someone else.

it's pretty clear to me that menton1 realizes that. he's just hoping for some feedback on the evening, and assumes nizza might be able to provide that feeback if even in the form of "my friend didn't like it very much" or "my friend looked at the map and realized how far out of the way montclair was and wondered what all those people on egullet are smoking".

Regardless, he was happy to have me post his experience, just forgot to tell me to in the email...

thanks to everyone for their input and encouragement - this

has been fun. I've been an active member of various online

communities (and have started a few) over the past 15 years or so,

but it's always nice to discover a new one!

My flight arrived 10 minutes early; I got right off, and got an

AirTran immediately. Suddenly the time wasn't as much of a concern,

so I decided to try for the more-out-of-the-way American Grill, given

the connection with the board and all.

I did NOT identify myself as being that guy from that board to the

host or waitress. I don't know who Lou is or if he is chef, owner,

maitre d' or what. As an introvert travelling alone, it was never

gonna happen.

I was seated next to the only other patrons (in adjacent booths) so I

could listen to their experience. I heard them make references to

having come over the years, I also heard some pretty serious farting

which seemed...odd. Someone in the know stopped by to see them twice,

and they urged him to keep up the good work. Even though there was a

problem with a ticket and vegetables had oil that shouldn't or something.

I had a mixed experience. Interesting breads came to the table, but

at 9:00 pm they were too stale for my liking. I ordered a poached

pear salad, which I've never had before. The vinaigrette was so

strong it would just about make you choke. The poached pear itself

was a full piece of fruit that needed to be sliced, rather than an

ingredient. I don't know what it is supposed to taste like, but this

was horrible. It seemed like it came out of a medical preserve jar

filled with formaldehyde or something. There were supposed to be pine

nuts on the salad, I believe, but I only found two. I couldn't finish

it, too strong.

My entree was a special - rigatoni with spinach and prosciuotto. It

came in a light cream sauce. It was very very good. I couldn't finish

it. It was REALLY HOT - it's neat to have a dish come out piping out.

I know pasta has a hold time of near-zero, and this was NOT

microwaved as far as I could tell.

Anyway, it was a neat experience to find a place to try thanks to

everyone's input.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question that's very similar to what the OP asked.

My parents are flying into EWR around 8pm on a Thursday night after a 22 hour international flight. I would like to take them to eat some congee.

Are there any restaurants between EWR and the on-ramp of I-87 (heading to Poughkeepsie, eventually), where one could get some congee?

Does any of the Chinese restaurants that Rachel posted serve congee? Failing that, some soupy noodles would do just as nicely. Their preferences lean towards simple and non-greasy Chinese comfort food.

Your advice much appreciated.

I'm guessing that China 46is the perfect answer...and it's easy off/on the NJ Turnpike as you're headed north! There are 10 pages about the place on that thread, but I know others will agree with me. :smile:

Edit: No implication that C46 will have congee, but I do think it fits the bill otherwise!

:wink: to my peeps.

Edited by Curlz (log)

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

Hey Evie, give me some props on the poached pear salad. You were at The Grill a week after and if there were problems with when Nizza's friend was there at the very least, they were corrected quickly.

Much love, Lou

P.S. I was working in the kitchen that day.

Where's the sheepish smiley? This one :unsure: ?? SO sorry, Lou!

Folks, I can indeed report that a girlfriend and I had lunch at An American Grill (following a way-too-short trip to DePasquale Spa), and my friend ordered aforementioned pear salad for lunch. And she said it was wonderful! I had completely forgotten about the post here until Lou reminded me of it after we were done. Shows you how much that stuck in my brain... :wink: We also shared the mozzarella/roasted pepper app and I had the tuna app, which I looooved. And of course, we enjoyed the extra-special Lou treatment, which is always appreciated! :wub:

My parents are flying into EWR around 8pm on a Thursday night after a 22 hour international flight.  I would like to take them to eat some congee.

Are there any restaurants between EWR and the on-ramp of I-87 (heading to Poughkeepsie, eventually), where one could get some congee?

Does any of the Chinese restaurants that Rachel posted serve congee?  Failing that, some soupy noodles would do just as nicely.  Their preferences lean towards simple and non-greasy Chinese comfort food.

The only problem I can see with getting congee at any of the above mentioned Chinese places (add Silver Pond in Fort Lee to that list too), is that you are planning on being there at night and isn't congee a breakfast food? That said, there are plenty of interesting and/or simple noodle soups available at all these places. For your trip from EWR to the throughway, China 46 might be the easiest detour, or Taipei Noodle House in Teaneck (483 Cedar Ln, 201-836-8230).