• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

pbear

pbear

define cup and tbsp

A recent thread by Michael Ohene reminded me that I've been meaning to post a conversion table I worked up last year for the purpose of adding dual measures to my personal cookbook (not published, just something I share with family and friends).  There's a similar thread Chris Amirault started in 2011, but that was focused on testing converted recipes, so I felt this older thread was more appropriate for posting my table.  Notice, though, that the latter thread includes links to other converters, including a spreadsheet by Martin Lersch.

One reason I did this table was that I found the online converters a PITA to use, as you have to query a database with a lookup box.  There are a few tables one can skim by eye, but they're limited in scope.  For that matter, the databases also missed a lot of things.  So I built this table from the ground up, measuring everything myself (many times).  No doubt there are a few errors (and some measures depend on technique), but on the whole I thought it useful enough to warrant posting.  So folks will know what to expect, I'm inserting a picture of the table, followed by pdf's which can be downloaded and printed.  One pdf looks like the picture, the other is four regular sized pages.

ETA: To clarify, an American cup is 236.6 milliliters.  A tbsp is 1/16th of this, generally rounded for conversion purposes to 15 milliliters; by extension, this means a tsp is 5 milliliters.  In fact, except for large quantities, I convert water and similar liquids at 240 grams per cup, and use weight not volume; dairy and oil, etc. I do by true weight.  Here's a sample recipe which illustrates how I use this table: Trifle.pdf.

Metric Equivalents.jpg

Metric Equivalents (4up).pdf

Metric Equivalents.pdf

pbear

pbear

define cup and tbsp

A recent thread by Michael Ohene reminded me that I've been meaning to post a conversion table I worked up last year for the purpose of adding dual measures to my personal cookbook (not published, just something I share with family and friends).  There's a similar thread Chris Amirault started in 2011, but that was focused on testing converted recipes, so I felt this older thread was more appropriate for posting my table.  Notice, though, that the latter thread includes links to other converters, including a spreadsheet by Martin Lersch.

One reason I did this table was that I found the online converters a PITA to use, as you have to query a database with a lookup box.  There are a few tables one can skim by eye, but they're limited in scope.  For that matter, the databases also missed a lot of things.  So I built this table from the ground up, measuring everything myself (many times).  No doubt there are a few errors (and some measures depend on technique), but on the whole I thought it useful enough to warrant posting.  So folks will know what to expect, I'm inserting a picture of the table, followed by pdf's which can be downloaded and printed.  One pdf looks like the picture, the other is four regular sized pages.

ETA: To clarify, an American cup is 236.6 milliliters.  A tbsp is 1/16th of this, generally rounded for conversion purposes to 15 milliliters; by extension, this means a tsp is 5 milliliters.  In fact, except for large quantities, I convert water and similar liquids at 240 grams per cup, and use weight not volume; dairy, oil, etc. I do by true weight.  Here's a sample recipe which illustrates how I use this table: Trifle.pdf.

Metric Equivalents.jpg

Metric Equivalents.pdf

pbear

pbear

define cup and tbsp

ETA: To clarify, an American cup is 236.6 milliliters.  A tbsp is 1/16th of this, generally rounded for conversion purposes to 15 milliliters; by extension, this means a tsp is 5 milliliters.  In fact, except for large quantities, I convert water and similar liquids at 240 grams per cup, and use weight not volume; dairy, oil, etc. I do by true weight.  Here's a sample recipe which illustrates how I use this table: Trifle.pdf.  Not saying this is the only way to do dual measures, but it works for me.  Note this edit wasn't here when liuzhou commented yesterday.

Metric Equivalents.jpg

Metric Equivalents.pdf

pbear

pbear

define cup and tbsp

ETA: To clarify, an American cup is 236.6 milliliters.  A tbsp is 1/16th of this, generally rounded for conversion purposes to 15 milliliters; by extension, this means a tsp is 5 milliliters.  In fact, except for large quantities, I convert water and similar liquids at 240 grams per cup, and use weight not volume; dairy, oil, etc. I do by true weight.

Metric Equivalents.jpg

Metric Equivalents.pdf

pbear

pbear

Metric Equivalents.jpg

Metric Equivalents.pdf

pbear

pbear

A recent thread by Michael Ohone reminded me that I've been meaning to post a conversion table I worked up last year for the purpose of adding dual measures to my personal cookbook (not published, just something I share with family and friends).  There's a similar thread Chris Amirault started in 2011, but that was focused on testing converted recipes, so I felt this older thread was more appropriate for posting my table.  Notice, though, that the latter thread includes links to other converters, including a spreadsheet by Martin Lersch.

Metric Equivalents.jpg

Metric Equivalents.pdf

pbear

pbear

A recent thread by Michael Ohone reminded me that I've been meaning to post a conversion table I worked up last year for the purpose of adding dual measures to my personal cookbook (not published, just something I share with family and friends).  There's a similar thread Chris Amirault started in 2011, but that was focused on testing converted recipes, so I felt this older thread was more appropriate for posting my table.  Notice, though, that the latter thread includes links to other converters, including a spreadsheet by Martin Lersch.

One reason I did this table was that I found the online converters a PITA to use, as you have to query a database with a lookup box.  There are a few tables one can skim by eye, but all the ones I found were quite limited in scope.  For that matter, the databases also missed a lot of things.  So I built this table from the ground up, measuring everything myself (many times).  No doubt there are a few errors (and some measures depend on technique), but on the whole I thought it useful enough to warrant posting.  So folks will know what to expect, I'm inserting a picture of the table, followed by pdf's which can be downloaded and printed.  One pdf looks like the picture, the other is four regular sized pages.

Metric Equivalents.jpg

Metric Equivalents.pdf