• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Smithy

Smithy

Spelling, as usual

Lest I forget -- sorry for the data dump, but I'm doing some catchup right now -- I want to note the comparison between the two corkscrew-type pastas I've been carrying around, thanks to @gfweb oh, months ago.

We both thought that the Barilla Cellentani looked like a longer version of the Cavatappi no. 87 made by DeCecco. We were wrong. 

20220329_162934-1.jpg

In these bottom two pictures (above) the corkscrews on the left are DeCecco Cavatappi and the corkscrews on the right are Barilla Cellentani. The DeCecco are slightly larger and seem to have a slightly larger bore. Is that a function of the number? Is there a different size of each of these? I don't know.

I mixed them in the latest version of mac 'n' cheese 'n' ham. I know gfweb doesn't like the inclusion of ham or anything else in his mac 'n' cheese, but I still owe him thanks for the suggestion of these corkscrews and their use. The previous attempts to use this stuff have left me wondering what their advantage is. In this dish they provided good structure - lots of room for good gooey sauce to run in, and bits of meat to hide among. Maybe I'll keep stocking this type of pasta. 

20220329_163127-1.jpg

I just realized that the photos look almost fluorescent orange, like the boxed stuff. It wasn't that color in real life! Still, it used up the last of the Buffalo Chicken Cheddar, and some frozen shredded cheddar, and it was easy...both in the original version and as leftovers.

Also in the "lest I forget" department: I promised to show this wonderful mural painted on the side of a Del Sol grocery store in Yuma. We're long gone from there, but I want to share it anyway.

20220302_140916-1.jpg

Smithy

Smithy

Spelling, as usual

Lest I forget -- sorry for the data dump, but I'm doing some catchup right now -- I want to note the comparison between the two corkscrew-type pastas I've been carrying around, thanks to @gfweb oh, months ago.

We both thought that the Barilla Cellentani looked like a longer version of the Cavatappi no. 87 made by DeCecco. We were wrong. 

20220329_162934-1.jpg

In these bottom two pictures (above) the corkscrews on the left are DeCecco Cavetappi and the corkscrews on the right are Barilla Cellentani. The DeCecco are slight larger and seem to have a slightly larger bore. Is that a function of the number? Is there a different size of each of these? I don't know.

I mixed them in the latest version of mac 'n' cheese 'n' ham. I know gfweb doesn't like the inclusion of ham or anything else in his mac 'n' cheese, but I still owe him thanks for the suggestion of these corkscrews and their use. The previous attempts to use this stuff have left me wondering what their advantage is. In this dish they provided good structure - lots of room for good gooey sauce to run in, and bits of meat to hide among. Maybe I'll keep stocking this type of pasta. 

20220329_163127-1.jpg

I just realized that the photos look almost fluorescent orange, like the boxed stuff. It wasn't that color in real life! Still, it used up the last of the Buffalo Chicken Cheddar, and some frozen shredded cheddar, and it was easy...both in the original version and as leftovers.

Also in the "lest I forget" department: I promised to show this wonderful mural painted on the side of a Del Sol grocery store in Yuma. We're long gone from there, but I want to share it anyway.

20220302_140916-1.jpg

Smithy

Smithy

20220329_162934-1.jpg

In these bottom two pictures (above) the corkscrews on the left are DeCecco Cavetappi and the corkscrews on the right are Barilla Cellentani. The DeCecco are slight larger and seem to have a slightly larger bore. Is that a function of the number? Is there a different size of each of these? I don't know.

20220329_163127-1.jpg

I just realized that the photos look almost flourescent orange, like the boxed stuff. It wasn't that color in real life! Still, it used up the last of the Buffalo Chicken Cheddar, and some frozen shredded cheddar, and it was easy...both in the original version and as leftovers.

20220302_140916-1.jpg