• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

heidih

heidih

Well - what if you risked the purchase of some Jiffy cornbread mix  (image attached - just happened to be veg version in my pantry)- about 75 cents tops for a box and needing only an egg and 1/3rd cup milk.  It is a middle of the road kinda cake one but not overly sweet and highly forgiving of additions. I usually add an extra egg white and use all manner of liquids from yogurt to roasted winter squash or lots of grated zucchini or masses of herbs. It is most definitely not Southern cornbread but it might give you a taste reference to go from and as noted - foolproof.  I often bake it in a larger pan so it is low to the ground and has more crunch and then when re-crisping in big cubes in toaster oven makes lovely croutons or a nibble snack.  Linking from

my eG blog  

IMG_0600.JPG

heidih

heidih

Well - what if you risked the purchase of some Jiffy cornbread mix  (image attached - just happened to be veg version in my pantry)- about 75 cents tops for a box and needing only an egg and 1/3rd cup milk.  It is a middle of the road kinda cake one but not overly sweet and highly forgiving of additions. I usually add an extra egg white and use all manner of liquids from yogurt to roasted winter squash or lots of grated zucchini or masses of herbs. It is most definitely not Southern cornbread but it might give you a taste reference to go from and as noted - foolproof.  I often bake it in a larger pan so it is low to the ground and has more crunch and then when re-crisping in big cubes in toaster oven makes lovely croutons or a nibble snack.  Linking from

my eG blog