• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Porthos

Porthos

1 hour ago, Shelby said:

I had completely forgotten about that kind of bread.  When I ran across it ( and for the life of me, I can't remember where I first saw it ), it was called tiger bread.  I bought rice flour specifically for the purpose of making it.  It was one of the hugest baking failures ever.  I was so discouraged that I never tried again.  I still have a huge bag of rice flour.  Maybe I should try again.

***sorry to derail your thread, Smithy.

The Dutch Crunch rolls I buy are from the in-house bakery at our local WinCo. The ones they sell are more like the ones from San Francisco back when and I will double-check but I believe they use regular wheat flour for theirs.. During my socal ren faire I special order 4 dozen a week to be one of the rolls (my personal favorite) that feeds those eating the feast. I will claim loose ascociation with Princess Camping since we sleep in a tent trailer on the weekends we do our ren faires.

ETA: I order them on Thursday mornings and they are still cooling from coming out of the oven when I pick them up Friday morning. Some days Maria puts them in kraft bags so they can "breath" and not get soggy.

Porthos

Porthos

27 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I had completely forgotten about that kind of bread.  When I ran across it ( and for the life of me, I can't remember where I first saw it ), it was called tiger bread.  I bought rice flour specifically for the purpose of making it.  It was one of the hugest baking failures ever.  I was so discouraged that I never tried again.  I still have a huge bag of rice flour.  Maybe I should try again.

***sorry to derail your thread, Smithy.

The Dutch Crunch rolls I buy are from the in-house bakery at our local WinCo. The ones they sell are more like the ones from San Francisco back when and I will double-check but I believe they use regular wheat flour for theirs.. During my socal ren faire I special order 4 dozen a week to be one of the rolls (my personal favorite) that feeds those eating the feast. I will claim loose ascociation with Princess Camping since we sleep in a tent trailer on the weekends we do our ren faires.