• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Smithy

Smithy

Corrected the record

Bless me! Isn't language fun and fascinating? ;)

22 hours ago, kayb said:

How in the world do you stand to bake when it's that hot inside? My bread-baking drops back to, if not nothing, very little during the summer. Although, of late, I haven't been eating much bread, so it hasn't been very much anyway.

Love those shrimp. I still have some from last fall I brought home from Florida. I put them in a container and cover with water and freeze; they last wonderfully!

I'm glad to know the shrimp preservation wasn't my imagination.  I'll use that method in the future.

I didn't much enjoy baking inside, but wanted that pita and the dough was impatient as well.  I thought about cooking it on the camp stove, but it was just as hot outside as in.  I did use the camp stove later on to steam the potatoes before grilling them. These little fingerling potatoes are perfect for skillet or campfire dishes.

20170313_180905.jpg

The last of our bacon went to wrapping the cheddar-stuffed shrimp per @ElsieD's recommendation, with a little left over to wrap asparagus for the grill.  

20170314_094922.jpg

We had eight shrimp.  Four were treated with cheddar and bacon; four were left in the shell and butterflied.  All were grilled over the campfire.  The steamed potatoes were tossed with olive oil and garlic, and grilled in a basket.

20170314_095206.jpg

I've read about grilling shrimp in the shell and peeling afterward.  It was a tasty nuisance.  Now that I've tried it, I'll stick to shelling them first. Although both treatments were good (the non-bacon shrimp got garlic butter) I think ElsieD's version was the winner. Thank you, Elsie!

20170314_094727.jpg

The shrimp was overcooked but delicious.  The asparagus was less overcooked and wonderful. 

20170314_095030.jpg

The wash, blossomless when we arrived, is breaking into shouts of color.  

20170314_095814.jpg

Nonetheless, we'll be glad to get our darned truck back and clear out to cooler areas.  "They hope tomorrow," they said today.  We think it will be Thursday if we're lucky.

Edited to add: as noted in the next post, @Okanagancook deserves the credit for the shrimp recipe.

Smithy

Smithy

Bless me! Isn't language fun and fascinating? ;)

21 hours ago, kayb said:

How in the world do you stand to bake when it's that hot inside? My bread-baking drops back to, if not nothing, very little during the summer. Although, of late, I haven't been eating much bread, so it hasn't been very much anyway.

Love those shrimp. I still have some from last fall I brought home from Florida. I put them in a container and cover with water and freeze; they last wonderfully!

I'm glad to know the shrimp preservation wasn't my imagination.  I'll use that method in the future.

I didn't much enjoy baking inside, but wanted that pita and the dough was impatient as well.  I thought about cooking it on the camp stove, but it was just as hot outside as in.  I did use the camp stove later on to steam the potatoes before grilling them. These little fingerling potatoes are perfect for skillet or campfire dishes.

20170313_180905.jpg

The last of our bacon went to wrapping the cheddar-stuffed shrimp per @ElsieD's recommendation, with a little left over to wrap asparagus for the grill.  

20170314_094922.jpg

We had eight shrimp.  Four were treated with cheddar and bacon; four were left in the shell and butterflied.  All were grilled over the campfire.  The steamed potatoes were tossed with olive oil and garlic, and grilled in a basket.

20170314_095206.jpg

I've read about grilling shrimp in the shell and peeling afterward.  It was a tasty nuisance.  Now that I've tried it, I'll stick to shelling them first. Although both treatments were good (the non-bacon shrimp got garlic butter) I think ElsieD's version was the winner. Thank you, Elsie!

20170314_094727.jpg

The shrimp was overcooked but delicious.  The asparagus was less overcooked and wonderful. 

20170314_095030.jpg

The wash, blossomless when we arrived, is breaking into shouts of color.  

20170314_095814.jpg

Nonetheless, we'll be glad to get our darned truck back and clear out to cooler areas.  "They hope tomorrow," they said today.  We think it will be Thursday if we're lucky.