• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

High Alcohol Beers

jayt90

Each of the top-five rated beers on http://www.ratebeer.com has an alcohol content over 10%. I think the reason is simple. More alcohol means more grain which means more flavor.  This isn't to say there's no place for beers like Pilsner Urquell, Sam Smith's Oatmeal Stout, and Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. One of the great, sometimes forgotten things about beer is its relaxing quaffability

Well put, eipi10.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

• 2 weeks later...

"Relaxing quaffability".....I like that!!!

The 3 brews of Trappist Monk Chimay Ales that reside in my beer fridge right now are 7%, 8%, and 9% alcohol, and my favorite is the 9% (blue label).

Russian Imperial Stout has high alcohol and is awesome. There are some excellent commercial varieties available. We brewed it a couple of times following Charlie Parpazian's recipe, and it was sublime. We gave away cases as presents for the holidays (with "Ivan the Terribly Stout" labels).

Great Lakes Brewery makes a couple of great High ABV beers. Blackout Stout is a Russian Imperial that clocks in at 9% ABV, and Nosferatu an American Red Ale that runs a little less at 8% ABV. They used to be exclusive to the brewery, but they have bottled some of them in limited batches. Definatly worth tracking down if you live in the midwest (or just driving to the brewery if you live in Cleveland).

I also enjoy many of the high ABV Abbey style Belgians. The Westvleteren 12 is my fave, but all of them are good and worth looking for.

Goose Island's Demolition is good, as is there Imperial IPA (although it's very, very hoppy). Also, if you can find it, Goose Island's Bourbon County Stout is fantastic. I had to have my local beer purveyor order me a few, but it was worth it.

EDIT: Almost forgot another local favorite. Thirsty Dog Brewing Co.'s Siberian Night Imperial Stout. 9% ABV, but you'd never know it. Very smooth and very drinkable. Great beer.

Edited by RagallachMC (log)