• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

recipe for garlic shrimp?

maui420

my wife loved this shrimp plate we got in hawaii during our honeymoon and i would like to make this at home. all i can tell about the plate was there was ALOT of garlic, lime, and a hint of italian dressing/mustard...

anyone have a recipe they can share?

i was thinking of sauteing garlic in butter and olive oil, toss in the shrimp and a few scallops, cook, throw in some green onions, a little cilantro, lime juice, lemon, salt, pepper, and a dash of mustard or italian dressing, and serve over rice.

thoughts about this?

actually giovannis shrimp scampi looks exactly like what i ordered!

http://debacle.org/gallery/Oahu/Giovanni_s_shrimp_scampi

click that for a pic.

btw, ive read through a blog that listed the ingrediants to the sauce. seems pretty basic, olive oil, lime juice, butter, garlic, salt, pepper,and white wine.

any thoughts on how i should go about replicating this recipe for my wife?

Perhaps you are refering to Giovanni's Shrimp Scampi from Oahu?

actually giovannis shrimp scampi looks exactly like what i ordered!

http://debacle.org/gallery/Oahu/Giovanni_s_shrimp_scampi

click that for a pic.

btw, ive read through a blog that listed the ingrediants to the sauce. seems pretty basic, olive oil, lime juice, butter, garlic, salt, pepper,and white wine.

any thoughts on how i should go about replicating this recipe for my wife?

It's pretty simple to do shrimp this way. It's basically just sauteeing the garlic in the oil until just soft, them toss in the shrimp and toss over high heat until they are barely cooked, then finish off to taste with everything else, keep the heat high to quickly reduce the wine and liquids a little bit and to meld the flavors together, slide them onto your plate and eat! If you serve it with pasta, you can just add the pasta at the end to heat and coat with the pan stuff, and slide it all onto your serving dish.

It's quick and tasty!

As for quantities--for a half-pound of shrimp, I'd use a couple tbs oil(or clarified butter), a couple or three cloves of minced garlic, half a lime squeezed, a small knob of butter and ~1/4 c wine, S&P to taste.

Edited by chefcyn (log)
It's not the destination, but the journey!

shrimp truck lady near poipu beach in kauia. =)

Oh my GOD!!!! I loved that shrimp truck - I was in Kaua'i in early June and had lunch there, too. I will think on the flavors and get back to you.

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

oh you better!. i posted a thread awhile back requesting this recipe and got no replies. lol

shrimp truck lady near poipu beach in kauia. =)

Oh my GOD!!!! I loved that shrimp truck - I was in Kaua'i in early June and had lunch there, too. I will think on the flavors and get back to you.

i tried it this morning. the ingrediants seems pretty near the original but something was still lacking.

i added a little more lime and a small amount of grey poupon mustard and i think it is much closer.

it seems that i will have to go for a little more sour and sweet. maybe i should add a little sugar and more lime?

i do know one thing though, you can never have enough garlic! lol

I improvised pretty much the same recipe, without the garlic, for dinner last night. Pure heaven, even though it was paid for with a half hour of purgatory beforehand, deveining the shrimp. Just white wine wine, olive oil and Old Bay. Don't peel the shrimp after deveining, since the shells add lots of flavor. Anyway, the shells are easier to get off (though messy) after cooking.

have you tried that old bay lime edition? i just picked it up this weekend, will give it another go this week.

I improvised pretty much the same recipe, without the garlic, for dinner last night.  Pure heaven, even though it was paid for with a half hour of purgatory beforehand, deveining the shrimp.  Just white wine wine, olive oil and Old Bay.  Don't peel the shrimp after deveining, since the shells add lots of flavor.  Anyway, the shells are easier to get off (though messy) after cooking.