• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wine bar?

wizpers

i agrree with everything that jfl is saying. there are many many wealthy montrealers. if you look at the cars and the clothes and the money spent at the good restos you will see that there is a market for this. you cant build a whole bizplan around selling drc flights but for sure if you put it on the menu there will be people that take it

i find the wine flights at bu and pop uninspiring. there selections even of private imports are not very good. we still dont have a great winebar here and it is sad because many people could learn a lot from a good wine bar

i hope that the club chasse guys open one

btw i ate dinner at versionlaurgent godbout and their wine list is short and bad but reasonably priced.

I don't care if some trendy (money spenders) are going to a good wine bar to be flashy or to spend their money on something they don't even appreciate. But it will be the occasion for people who appreciate it for real to have at least one place where we can have some top wines.

We dont need La Tâche by the glass, just a good flight of 3 different vintage of La Conseillante is a good exemple. Hubert at Club Chasse et Pêche is openning Raveneau by the glass so I am sure a wine bar can do the same or more? A Chablis 2002 at 25$ the glass is way more difficult to sell than a 30-35$ glass of La Conseillante 1995.

3oz is just perfect in a glass, more than that is just too much even in a big glass.

I am not asking to see Petrus 90 by the glass on the menu at 500$ the glass, I am asking to see really good wines. When is the last time you saw a good Chateauneuf (Bonneau, Perrin, Rayas) by the glass in a wine bar?

Edited by jfl91 (log)

I am not asking to see Petrus 90 by the glass on the menu at 500$ the glass, I am asking to see really good wines.  When  is the last time you saw a good Chateauneuf (Bonneau, Perrin, Rayas) by the glass in a wine bar?

i have never seen a good/great wine by the glass in montreal for sure not in the class that you talk of. hubert is good to open great bottles by the glass because he has the clientele of the city that will leave a good decision in his capable hands as to what wine will be nice to try

The point of wine tasting is to DISCOVER good wines at EVERY price, not to rediscover expensive wines whit A reputation...

I respect your point but I dont agree.

I still think there is no point for a business to risk that kind of move everyday!

The point of wine tasting is to DISCOVER good wines at EVERY price, not to rediscover expensive wines whit A reputation...

I respect your point but I dont agree.

I still think there is no point for a business to risk that kind of move everyday!

no risk no reward

the point of wine tasting is to taste wines and hope to find a good one

if the wine is a name and has a reputation you taste to see if it is deserved and if you like it

if the price is right you buy it

if you go to a restaurant to drink wines you can afford at the saq i think that is a waste of time and opportunity to have a good sommelier to take you on a journey

the point of a wine bar is to experience new things you didnt know before. to limit the epxerience by price is to remove some of the greatest wines in the world

Wine bar is not only to taste but if you want to have a glass of good wine and you don't want to open a full bottle at home, a wine bar is the perfect place. But if it's not possible to find what you like, it's just not usefull. Also, there is only young, young wines in wine bar in Montreal.

Some 2000, 2001, 02,03. It can good to taste but sometimes we want more mature wines wich is impossible to find here also.

Good wine at everyprices???? Well this is not what happenning here!

Edited by jfl91 (log)

jfl i dont think we are going to see mature wines in a wine bar in montreal. not anytime soon.

this requires a wine program. i do not know of any restos that have a big $ budget for this kind of thing. they all buy from the saq and maybe sit on it for a couple years. from time to time there will be a trophy wine at club chasse (haut brion) but this is maybe one bottle, and they buy it privately. places like queue de cheval have a decent wine pgoram but far too expensive and no wine bar

i know many private collectors with nice collections but of course you cannot sell these in a resto. we have maybe 3 restos with world-class wine lists and they are too expensive to qualify as everyday wine prices even for the rich.

a dream: champlain charest opens a wine bar in the city selling wines at everyday prices

ahah

Go to Pizza da Nizza, Rayas 89 at 180$, La Mision Haut-Brion 89 at 220$.

There is a ton of 88,89 and 90 that are really cheap!

Rayas 89 is wonderfull.

yes but can i have them by the glass? :biggrin:

i ate there once and the food was whatever. the terasse makes it all better.