• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Planning my wedding in OBX

keeperrox

I am planning on getting married next summer and after much debate on where to actually have it (I'm from northern NJ and he's from southern PA), we've finally decided on the Outer Banks. We originally wanted to do it in the Carribean, but my mother kept adding people that wanted to come, so we figued OBX would be more cost efficient for everyone involved.

We want to keep it a medium-small size, between 50 and 100 people (MAX!!!), and are working with a moderate budget. However, it would be nice to leave my parents with some of that money, even though they said whatever is left over is mine.

As a child we went to Duck every summer until I was about 9. We returned 3 times while I was in high school, and then Bryon, my fiance, and I took our first vacation together there. I am somewhat familiar with the area, however, I am currently living in PA. This is going to make organizing the whole event a bit difficult, as it will have to be over the phone, via email and fax, and maybe one visit down south before the big day (I'm a teacher, so it makes taking vacations during the year virtually impossible). However, I would like to avoid using a wedding planner if at all possible.

I know I want the ceremony to be on the beach and already have narrowed it down to 3 officiants. For the reception, I want it basically to be a very large cocktail party. Two or three carving stations and the rest of the food will be appetizer/noshy things brought around by waiters on trays, with a full service, open bar. I'm aiming at about 4 hours total, and a large dance floor is not necessary, as I'd rather spend time with my guest than be watched dancing. However, a small dance area would be nice for the people who want it.

I am asking for any and all recommendations for just about everything from locals, people who frequent the Outer Banks, others who have done destination weddings, and anyone else who wants to chime in. I guess the main things I'm looking for suggestions on are, Reception Location, Caterer, Bakery (I would prefer to get a cake from a bakery as opposed to a caterer, unless said caterer is KNOWN for their cakes), Pre-Wedding Day dinner location, and Accomodations for guests. Photographer, Florists, Musicians (I'm thinking flutist or violinist for the ceremony, and pianist and guitarist for the reception that can play anyting from Rock and Roll to classical) and anything else you can think of, would be helpful too, but I know these things aren't food related. All help is welcomed, and as usual, the food and location are the most important!!

Might I congratulate you both on your upcoming nuptials and on your wisdom in asking these questions at eGullet? There are many options availble in that area but here are just a very few to begin to check out for your preferences:

one possible option: Seamark Foods

Outer Banks Wedding Guild (lots of information on this page)

Outer Banks Wedding Association

The Proper Setting

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Thanks so much!! I have been to both of the OBX Wedding organization sites (the Guild and the Association), and yes, they both are great resources!!! They just have so many wonderful suggestions, I don't know where to start!! This was the first time I've seen the Proper Setting, and it looks like it might be just what I need to handle all the little details of a location, without going the route of a full blown planner!! I've also subscribed to the Outer Banks Wedding Association's free magazine, so hopefully that will give me some good ideas as well! Seamark Foods will definitely go on my list to check out further in depth for catering, but I think I have to figure out how casual or formal I want the reception to be, otherwise I'll never be able to decide among all the great food down there. Thanks again!!

Edited by keeperrox (log)

Hey, maybe I should plan a wedding for myself ... of course, my husband of 38 years, might just raise his standard objection ("What will this cost anyway??" :shock: )

40th wedding anniversary?? Family reunion?? Just a fabulous bash?? I think it sounds like a great idea!!

40th wedding anniversary?? Family reunion??  Just a fabulous bash?? I think it sounds like a great idea!!

Gee, two more years of this?! :blink: I know, on his budget, he would say "how about a weekend at our local Motel Six and all the twinkies we can eat with Coca Cola"?

How 'bout that when one has visions of the Ritz Carleton and their Romance Package?? :laugh: If we were on the Outer Banks, one of us had better know how to swim ... :hmmm:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"