• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Another REALLY big lobster topic

BryanZ

The chronicles of Larry the 6 lb. Lobster:

People have done this before and I've always admired the pictures. There's something quite awe inspiring about a lobster the size and weight of a lap dog.

After being steeped in near boiling water for about 10-12 minutes, he was put on the big board and, umm, disassembled. It was a violent but rewarding process.

gallery_28496_1387_20686.jpg

He had large claws. The inside of this claw was about the size of a nice sirloin (and about as thick). N.B. That is not my hand.

gallery_28496_1387_103650.jpg

I think Larry was used well. We used all of him for this dish:

Lobster Mac and Cheese, adopted from Thomas Keller with a whole lot of mushrooms thrown in the mix.

It was Orzo pasta in a lobster bisque, thickened with marscapone. On top of that was medallions of the lobster's tail, lightly poached in beurre monte. Between the medallions was a composition of morels and fresh spring peas in a balsamic, demi glace and truffle reduction. To the side, I served lightly smoked chanterelles and some asparagus also lightly poached in the beurre monte.

gallery_28496_1387_18838.jpg

gallery_28496_1387_3396.jpg

Beautiful. How many people did you serve? Where did you get your morels?

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I portioned it out to four people but could've served more if I wanted to. I had a bunch of claw and even some leg meat (he had big legs, too) left over. I made lobster salad for lobster rolls the next day that served a few more people. And tonight I'm making a roasted corn and lobster chowder.

I source my morels from Wegmans or Whole Foods.

After being steeped in near boiling water for about 10-12 minutes, he was put on the big board and, umm, disassembled. It was a violent but rewarding process.

Really good, Bryan!!

How ... uhh ... violent was the process? First, where did you find Larry? How big was the pot? Did Larry go in peacefully or ... uhh ... the hard way? Sounds like you boiled rather than steamed Larry? In your experience, do you find that eating a small lobster (1-2 lbs.) is tastier than a huge lobster?

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

He was on sale at Shop Rite, a store I haven't been in for for many, many years. I actually had him killed at Shop Rite using the knife through the head process. I watched the process and the head literally exploded right as it was split and sent water gushing everywhere (I guess he wanted to go out with gusto). I then took him right home and boiled a big stockpot of water with some vinegar. I put Larry in the biggest stockpot I had (a very tight fit) and poured the boiling water over him. I let him steep in the water for about 10-12 minutes then proceeded with the disassembling.

I was very pleased with quality of the meat. This was the best lobster I've made at home but I think this is because of the gentler cooking process. Rather than boiling it to a rubber consistency, the steeping in hot water and light butter poaching yielded and exceptionally tender lobster. Although the shells were thick, there was still a substantial amount of meat inside. Also, where a smaller lobster usually has very little meat in the body cavity and in the legs, Larry was chockful of little morsels that just went into the lobster and corn chowder I just made.

Edited by BryanZ (log)

Lobster Mac and Cheese, adopted from Thomas Keller with a whole lot of mushrooms thrown in the mix.

gallery_28496_1387_18838.jpg

I really can't believe that you're cooking from a mix. icon-j-1.gifWe primarily cook from scratch here on eGullet, or at least only post photos of things we've cooked from scratch. icon-j-2.gif

Was it a packet with the rice and seasonings and everything in it already that you bought somewhere?

crazy2.gif

Edited to say: "Couldn't resist! Just joking."

I've enjoyed your posts about wanting to write restaurant reviews, and think that it's just great, and quite impressive, that you can cook, yourself - and obviously so impressively, as well.

Edited by markk (log)

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

In addition to some nice pork chops, we had an 8 and 3/4 pounder with our friends last night, from Shop Rite as well. We had them steam it partially cooked for 5 minutes, and then we cut it in peices and basted all the meat with a soy/melted butter/lemon juice sauce on the grill, cooking it for an extra 10 minutes. Came out great.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host