• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Spinach Florentine Jello

Sackville

They say don't knock it till you've tried it so who knows... but it certainly doesn't seem the most likely of combinations!

Spinach Jello

1 3oz pkg jello (lime, lemon or orange)

1 c boiling water

1 T lemon juice

dash salt & pepper

Dissolve jello in boiling water; add lemon juice, salt, & pepper. Let cool to room temp.

1/2 Miracle Whip

1/4 c sour cream (opt)

Blend in Miracle Whip and sour cream.

Add:

1/4 c chopped celery or zucchini

1 sm onion, chopped

1/2 10oz pkg chopped spinach, thawed & drained

3/4 c small curd cottage cheese

I have seen lemon jello used with savoury add-ins .. in this case, lemon jello with gefilte fish balls ... and the taste? Gag!

Spinach Salad Jello recipe .. yes, really! Now this one has vinegar and chopped onion in it ...

As near as I can tell, lemon jello is not too sweet and can be a perfect medium for all manner of unusual items in suspension... :huh:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

sounds like green eggs and ham without the happy ending.

i would not could not (eat this) in a box

i would not could not with a fox.

i would not could not in the rain

i would not could not in a train.

not in a car, not in a tree

not in a busy, sam let me be!

i do not like green eggs and ham

i do not like them sam i am

milagai

i would not could not (eat this) in a box

i would not could not with a fox.

i would not could not in the rain

i would not could not in a train.

not in a car, not in a tree

not in a busy, sam let me be!

i do not like green eggs and ham

i do not like them sam i am

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Oh that dish sounds vile.

My mother used to make lime jello with grated carrots in it.

My MIL used to make her "famous" Jell-o salad for special occasions: Black Cherry Jell-o, walnuts, coca-cola, cherry pie filling, and something else nasty all mixed together and put into individual molds. It is presented with parsley on leaves of head lettuce.

I ate the former because I had to. I ate the latter to be polite.

Fabby --

who no longer has to do either.

"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office

My mother made her cole slaw with just sugar and vinegar; she sometimes put the leftover cole slaw into lime jello. My kids used to call it "the dreaded lime jello." So sue me, I like it eaten with mayo and still make it occasionally.

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

Pay no attention to all those naysayers out there Sackville! Jello Power to the People :cool:

And BarbaraY, shame on you! :raz: The recipe you quoted is missing the secret ingredients that would transform the dish from the one you described into a Quivering Gelatinous Nirvana: walnut pieces and.................................. Miracle Whip.

Gosh, I'm really beginning to crave it now; I think I'll have to make some this weekend. :laugh: Seriously.

BTW can anyone point me to the "recipe" for Rachel's multi-hued, Jello extravaganza that she uses as her avatar?

Thanks.

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

Okay folks, yet another luscious Jello creation: Spam Jello! The following recipe doesn't contain any Miracle Whip, but I'm sure it's tasty just the same. :laugh:

http://www.nikibone.com/recipe/jello/spamjello.html

mmmmmmmmmmmmm, Spam..................................

Also, there's the wonderful Chef Andy giving his props to all things Jello.

http://www.chefandy.com/photos1.html

I'm sure this has appeared elsewhere on eGullet, but it seemed especially appropriate here.

Sackville, you are an inspiration. :raz:

Enjoy!

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

Okay, I just spent half an hour searching for the right links and writing a long post, only to discover it's not appeared. So here it is all over again, albeit, this time in a condensed form.

Spinach Florentine Jello? Ugh, no thanks!

BTW can anyone point me to the "recipe" for Rachel's multi-hued, Jello extravaganza that she uses as her avatar?

Thanks.

Recipe for Rainbow Jello Mold (This is the recipe that Rachel used)

But, to be honest, the jello in the afore-mentioned link doesn't look look half as magnificent as THIS!

Edited by rajsuman (log)

No, but it reminds me of the orange food incident in the Worst meals in someone's home thread:

Step Great Aunt Jennie's ORANGE salad.  There should be an international tribunal to address Jello salads like this.

My father's second wife was from a part of Ohio which might as well have been Mars.

14 years old and feeling very uncomfortable at my first Thanksgiving at their house, I turned to the old lady next to me, and mumbled, "What nice orange salad you've brought."

It was a lie, but after an hour of being stared at I was trying to seem normal somehow.  Aunt Jennie beamed and me and dumped a huge mound onto my plate.

The salad was actually an awful Jello concoction, orange jello with mayonnaise or angel whip, pineapple bits and some lumpy, poorly incorporated dairy product. 

Somehow, I managed to fork it down.  It was like a lesson for your tastebuds about why it is wrong to tell a lie. 

Aunt Jennie was so delighted she brought the same thing next year, and all the years after...  Like the beating of the telltale heart, the orange salad kept coming back for Thanksgiving dinner.

When Aunt Jennie started sending the electricity bill to a televangelist, she was put in an assisted living home and my stepmother's sister moved into Aunt Jennie's house.  I breathed a sigh of relief.  Goodbye to the orange salad (my step-aunt's signature dish was a sausage roll made with rolled out canned biscuit dough).

That year for Thanksgiving, my stepmother's sister brought....  THE ORANGE SALAD.

Deciding that now Aunt Jennie was gone I might gracefully free myself from the Jello curse, I decided to ask my step-aunt what the awful lumpy stuff in the orange salad was.  I'd always assumed it was half-melted cottage cheese or something.

"It's grated VELVEETA!  It's got orange cheese in it, that's why it's orange salad!" She looked amazed anyone would have to ask.

Petroleum and gelatine product abuse in the third degree.

and also this particular gem:

But can any Jell-O nightmare story beat my grandmother's Chicken Salad Jell-O?  Boiled chicken, canned chicken broth, plain gelatin, and celery--set in a jello mold--with a generous dollop  of Miracle Whip on top?  A more foul substance has never passed my lips (I had to try "just one bite").

Edited because "foul" and "foal" are very different words.

:blink::blink::blink:

I feel that same yuk factor about tomato aspic.

I just don't like gelatenous things, I suppose although my mother-in-law did make a jello type cole slaw that I really did like. She added vineger which made it tart and sweet at the same time.

The addition of velveeta in orange salad reallllly sounds awful to me. Reminds me of the time my son gagged on the Vienna Sausage jell. My husband thinks they are so good he takes them on his fishing trips for a quick lunch. Patoooooey !!

ugh!!! My husband has told me stories about these midwestern concoctions- jello used with salad and fish and what not. Then when my mom passed away we found a Jello Cookbook filled with nasty ideas of things to put in your Jello.

Bleck!!!! :wacko: And Miracle Whip is NASTY! But my husband said that he would rather eat miracle whip than dream whip anyday. Midwest vs. Westcoast I guess!

• 2 weeks later...

"Chicken Salad Jello" is evidently a bastardized jellied dish which used to be called pressed chicken. The only gelatin involved was in the reduced chicken broth. The chicken pieces filled a loaf pan and clear, fat-free broth was poured on top; other items such as celery, onion and/or parsley could be added. The chicken was then weighted down so that the most chicken and the least broth (jelly) was used. This was chilled overnight, turned out, sliced onto a lettuce leaf and served with mayonnaise. Because the chicken was all "free range" back then, and home cooked, it was quite flavorful. The dish was de rigueur at summer luncheons and good for invalids, like calves foot jelly was purported to be. Jellied consomme was of the same ilk.

I have served a similar French dish, Ham Persillade (ham, parsley, broth) with a mustard mayo and good bread as an H'D.

It is a mystery to me why so many people think all jelled/jellied dishes are Jell-O and therefore to be avoided at all costs. For that matter, not all Jell-O dishes are bad. IMO they can be quite refreshing in warm weather.

And why does the Midwest get all the bad press? Practically all Southern luncheons used to--and may still--include Jell-O, only Southerners serve it under the revolting name "congealed salad." BLOOD congeals, not gelatin.

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali