• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where can I buy guanciale in Chicago?

I'm wondering if anyone in the Chicagoland area knows where they sell guanciale? I've tried Fox and Obel and they don't carry it. It makes great Carbonara - or at least it did in Italy. Could have been the surroundings helped but I'd love to duplicate it here.

jb

As recently as January of this year, F&O was touting the fact that they carried it. I'm sorry to hear that's no longer the case.

You might want to try the following:

Peoria Packing

1300 W Lake Street

Chicago, IL 60607

312 738-1800

Joseph Nasti Food Mart

8235 W Irving Park Rd

Chicago, IL 60634

773 625-0118

Caputo's Fresh Markets

2560 N Harlem Ave

Elmwood Park, IL 60707

708 453-0155

and if all else fails . . .

Niman Ranch

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

or make it yourself.  niman sells jowls.  it's cured (refrigerated with salt and seasonings like garlic and thyme), then hang it in cheese cloth till its very stiff and you're good to go.

It's actually very easy to make. You can treat it like bacon. Although if you don’t cure it I don’t think it’s true guanciale anymore. Does anyone know if the pork has to be from a certain area?

“Nobody can be so amusingly arrogant as a young man who has just discovered an old idea and thinks it is his own." - Sydney J. Harris

or make it yourself.  niman sells jowls.  it's cured (refrigerated with salt and seasonings like garlic and thyme), then hang it in cheese cloth till its very stiff and you're good to go.

It's actually very easy to make. You can treat it like bacon. Although if you don’t cure it I don’t think it’s true guanciale anymore. Does anyone know if the pork has to be from a certain area?

Can you hang it in the fridge or does it have to be in a less humid environment?

I'd also think you could get cachete pretty easily at one of the bizillions of (say) Latin markets or carneceria(a) in places like Rogers Park and Humboldt Park (for curing your own).

Du beurre! Donnez-moi du beurre! Toujours du beurre! ~ Fernand Point

Michael, the fridge is too dry for many cured meat products but it is ok for pancetta and guanciale. I did a head to head with fridge and my curing chamber (50 deg. F and 70% RH), and the flavors were very very close..the fridge one was still outstanding.

I'm in Atlanta, and there is a huge hispanic population and tons of hispanic markets, but none of them carry pork jowls uncured..whcih is both odd and SUCKY. I have to order them from Nieman Ranch.

jason