• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Medieval Times

Daniel

My first experience at a Medieval Times was I think at the first one started in Spain about 20 years ago.. It is interesting to see my take on it now and if it was as fun as I remembered... All i can say is, it certainly was.. This time however, a few Hurricanes from the bar helped me be transported back to the future..

The four people in my party arrived via bus out of Port Authority.. The bus left us about a half a block down the street and we walked the rest of the way.. It wouldnt have been that bad, but it was raining.. When we arrived, there was a beautiful rainbow, so it made the rain well worth it..

gallery_15057_1358_343686.jpg

TIP 1: The stadium is set up with different rows that seat different size partys..Find out what time the door opens and be the first in line, even the front row seats are given out among the people who bought the plan on a first come basis... So this guarantees you the best seat..

As you enter into the building you are handed a crown and then brought into a huge room with a bar.. There are also giftshops surrounding the room, to get kids to ask for overpriced swords and stuff..

Tip 2: Dont pay for the museum in torture exhibit, its the size of a broom closet and really overpriced..

gallery_15057_1358_1360256.jpg

Tip 3: The Hurricane drinks are pre-made so ask for a double, give the maiden a five she will put additional alcohol in your drink for the rest of the night..

So if you should up early enough to be seated first you have a while to hang out.. Then the king starts to call out all the birthday peoples names and they go up to take photos with him.. Finally the king calls everyone in and tells people based on their crown where to go..

gallery_15057_1358_298484.jpg

Here is a picture of the stadium before the nights holding torches come riding out...

gallery_15057_1358_825453.jpg

Here one of the many proceedings that took place...

gallery_15057_1358_1337860.jpg

Those of you looking for amazing food will not find it here.. However it certainly is an experience.. The knight show is awesome, there is jousting, there is sword fights, horse dancing, some pyrotechnics, and audience particpation by way of cheering for your side..

Soup- Vegetable.. Pretty Good..

gallery_15057_1358_1355351.jpg

Garlic Bread- The best thing there

gallery_15057_1358_1399185.jpg

Chicken- Surprisingly good.Moist, had some flavor.. Get to use your hands in the dark.

gallery_15057_1358_180158.jpg

Ribs had great smokey flavor.. A nice dry rub... Just kidding.. It was eadible, at this point though I went for the potato.. Not bad..

gallery_15057_1358_1005332.jpg

and an apple cake

gallery_15057_1358_1346140.jpg

That night our knight won, which was really cool for our young guest.. All in all i would say this place is a lot of fun.. It was like an amusement park, a show, and dinner all wrapped in one.. We adults had equal fun to the child..

In terms of getting home we took a taxi instead of waiting for the bus..

Edited by Daniel (log)

RIght down the street from me & I've never been. Mainly because I expected the food to be considerably more awful than it apparently is. Will have to give it a try now.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

With respect ot Daniel's opinion, on my 6 plus visits over the last three years, I cannot agree that the food is even marginally ok. It's just awful. The only positive thing I can say is that they have Bass Ale. I would not suggest putting yourself through the meal unless you have a child who will be enthralled( and rightly so, its a great show) with the theatrical part of the evening.

The one time I went to MT I remember really digging the chicken. Just a nice simple roast chicken, pretty moist and tasty. The point isn't so much that you're eating great food...but I think the food they serve goes really great with the atmostphere. A good match. :)

Hmmm... maybe consistency is an issue. My daughter spent the summer living at my place in nearby Rutherford about 3 - 4 years and she went there on a lark with some friends when someone offered them comp tickets. She described the food as marginal at best. She was 19 at the time and certainly no gourmand but discerning enough to know acceptable from mediocre. But she also described the whole entertainment concept as being lackluster - almost no jousting and a general sense of malaise visible amongst the cast (or so she thought). It sounds as though they've given the place a shake-up.

I went to one in TX, and while the food was decent and filling, my understandable reason were the horses. My favorite horses of my life were an Andalucian my dad bought me for my tenth birthday, and a Galiceno I bought from the remnants of the Sid Richardson herd, imported to Texas by way of the Phillipines aways back. I dug the horsework. Haut ecole works for me. Definitely worth the trip, I thought.

Daniel, your pictures make it look as if the groceries were right decent. The chicken and the tater both look quite edible. Wonder if I can talk the Horse Palace, our local indoor horse venue, to go medievil (sp?) for me?

I would not suggest putting yourself through the meal unless you have a child who will be enthralled( and rightly so, its a great show) with the theatrical part of the evening.

Couldn't have said it better!! I went two years ago when a young (ish) friend was celebrating her 25th birthday. I think it cost about $65pp at the end of the night for bad alcohol, truly mediocre food and a lot of laughs. And to top it off, only one of the knights was truly hot...

Unless you're taking the kids, come to my house and I'll roast some chicken and potatoes for you for a mere $50pp. :wink:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

I hope I made it clear that although the food was passable, it is by no reason the draw of this place.. I took a four year old who loves horses for her birthday.. If they had provided an option to not eat the food, i would glady take it.. Its not somewhere i would take a date, or go with friends my age.. I dont even know if the age child who would enjoy it goes passed 2nd or 3rd grade. The whole fun was to be at a interactive dinner show with a delighted child who was trying to wrap her mind around such a trippy experience. That being said we had seen couples celebrating 25th anniversaries.. But please dont think i am considering this place for any other reason besides the show and double hurricanes.. :smile:

Edited by Daniel (log)