• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Good Eats in Davis Square

MarketStEl

Hello, everyone:

I'm back in Boston for an extended visit (concurrent with my 25th Harvard class reunion) for the first time since 1988, about four years after I left for Philadelphia.

I must say that the city looks as gorgeous as it ever has, although someone with bad taste has inflicted a few crappy skyscrapers on the Back Bay.

Anyway: I'm posting to tap into your collective wisdom.

Tomorrow (Monday 6/6), I plan to spend some time with my old roommate from college, who lives near Davis Square, Somerville. I've heard that Davis Square has become quite chi-chi since the Red Line extension opened (it was still new when last I visited), and, as I told my roomie, I really want to see what a gentrified neighborhood in Somerville looks like.

I imagine that among all the new shops and stuff in Davis Square, there must be some good restaurants where Joe and I can have dinner. Any suggestions?

In addition to posting to the board, you may PM me or send e-mail to SandySmith80@post.harvard.edu.

Thanks in advance!

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Hello, everyone:

I'm back in Boston for an extended visit (concurrent with my 25th Harvard class reunion) for the first time since 1988, about four years after I left for Philadelphia.

I must say that the city looks as gorgeous as it ever has, although someone with bad taste has inflicted a few crappy skyscrapers on the Back Bay.

Anyway:  I'm posting to tap into your collective wisdom.

Tomorrow (Monday 6/6), I plan to spend some time with my old roommate from college, who lives near Davis Square, Somerville.  I've heard that Davis Square has become quite chi-chi since the Red Line extension opened (it was still new when last I visited), and, as I told my roomie, I really want to see what a gentrified neighborhood in Somerville looks like.

I imagine that among all the new shops and stuff in Davis Square, there must be some good restaurants where Joe and I can have dinner.  Any suggestions?

In addition to posting to the board, you may PM me or send e-mail to SandySmith80@post.harvard.edu.

Thanks in advance!

Hi Sandy!

In Davis square, my favorite is Redbones... the best BBQ in Boston. A bit further afield, not really in Davis, though, is DALI... a wonderful tapas bar... not many places where I'd wait more than an hour for a table!..

Happy eating

KV

All that is needed for evil to survive is for good people to do nothing

Hi Sandy!

In Davis square, my favorite is Redbones... the best BBQ in Boston.  A bit further afield, not really in Davis, though,  is DALI... a wonderful tapas bar... not many places where I'd wait more than an hour for a table!..

Happy eating

KV

Well, since I'm a barbecue fiend (search eGullet on my member name, and you should find some posts extolling the virtues of Gates' Bar-B-Q, one of the best 'cue joints in America's 'cue capital, my hometown of Kansas City), Redbones would be a strong candidate, as well as an opportunity to see whether New England 'cue is up to snuff yet. (For purposes of comparison, here's what I had to say about Philly's newest BBQ place, The Smoked Joint in Center City.) These folks entered any Kansas City Barbecue Society-sanctioned contests yet?

But I don't want to limit myself beforehand, so if you could provide address/directions to Dali, I'd appreciate that too.

Edited by MarketStEl (log)

So Joe and I ate at Redbones, and I'm one happy diner.

These people know their 'cue, although as a Kansas Citian I cringe whenever I see "St. Louis-style ribs" on a menu.

I ordered the "Barbecue Belt" plate (Memphis, St. Louis and Arkansas ribs plus brisket, with beans and coleslaw) and an appetizer sampler.

The smoky aroma that rose off the BBQ plate the moment it was set down in front of me was a good sign, as was the pink ring on the edge of the brisket.

Everything tasted as good as it looked and smelled. The beans merit special mention, for they were a perfect balance between tangy and sweet. I asked for all four of the barbecue sauces they offer (hot, mild, sweet, vinegar), and the only one I didn't much like was the sweet sauce, which was way too heavy on the molasses. I hope they don't consider this an example of Kansas City-style sauce, which has more tang--their hot sauce, which was vaguely reminiscent of Arthur Bryant's, was closer.

And speaking of Kansas City-style: One demerit to the restaurant for not including something from America's barbecue capital on the menu.

Washed it down with a local raspberry beer that went well with the meat. Service was prompt--given the size of the plates I ordered, maybe too prompt. I've got leftovers to share with my friend when he arrives in about an hour on a much-delayed flight.

Davis Square has become a real nightlife center, I see. Lots of really stylish eateries, too--happily coexisting with the old established neighborhood joints, a good sign. Note to self: Must return to eat at the Rosebud Diner, an honest-to-God 1940s vintage dining car.

I'm still amazed, but on the whole, it's a change for the better.

And speaking of Kansas City-style:  One demerit to the restaurant for not including something from America's barbecue capital on the menu.

America's barbecue capital? I believe you meant to say "And speaking of Lexington, NC-style!" :wink: