• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Starting a restaurant in Philly

Lazrowp

Walked past the site yesterday (Sunday 12/11) and saw a Michael Salove Company "Lease Space" sign on the enclosure wall.

So have you actually pulled the plug, Paul?

Yeah......I tried my 11th hour plan and it didn't work: I went up to NYC to speak with a Japanese restaurant company and propose that they come in as a partner or take over the operation....but they were not interested. So I informed my landlord and now I am closing up shop legally & ect. and that is why the space is available and has the sign. (Anyone interested in Philly should consider this space as it really has a location location location).

:smile:

Paul

猿も木から落ちる - Saru mo ki kara ochiru

(Even monkeys can fall from a tree)

whaa.gif Dude! So very bummed for 'ya. Are you looking elsewhere with better construction estimates?

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

My condolences, Paul. :sad:

Please take the rest of the year off and get your rest. You obviously have been through much.

Edited to add: I want to wish you and loved ones a happy holiday and hope for a better new year in 2006!

Take care,

Russell

Edited by rjwong (log)

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

As someone once said, " That which does not kill us, makes us stronger". Use everything learned from this and use it on your next projects. This was not a waste, you learned many, many things and are no longer a virgin.

Don't let this stop you or hinder you from dreaming up your next adventure. May the force be with you.

Oh, and have a merry and a happy holiday!!

cheers!

• 7 months later...

Eight months later...

The "space available" sign still hangs from the construction enclosure around what was to have been Sushi Nation.

Meanwhile, two blocks to the south, a "Tenant Obtained" sign hangs over the former laundromat at the corner of 12th and Spruce, which now sports a liquor license application on the door. There's been some discussion of the restaurant that is supposed to go into this space, but as of now, nothing other than discussion has happened.

Across 12th, the windows over the former Cheap Art Cafe remain blacked out, and the liquor license application that had been in one of them has vanished. Persistent rumors about a new restaurant opening in this space--It'll be run by the folks who run the Plough and Stars! No, make that the Black Sheep! (Well, they did open Lula.)--have died down. But the video store that occupied the corner storefront has completely decamped to the second floor of the Grand United Order of Odd Fellows headquarters. What will happen next? Inquiring minds want to know. Stay tuned.

I wonder whether anyone who ought to be paying attention to these sorts of things bothered to read this discussion or the article in Philadelphia Weekly that referenced it. Center City has been gaining residents by leaps and bounds, but the jobs haven't followed them. Small businesses like these restaurants are an important source of new jobs, and if Paul's experience is any guide, The Way We Do Things Around Here may be keeping them from being created.

Not to mention depriving us of some wonderful meals.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3