• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pastèque ivre history?

mbanu

At a recent summer barbeque I had the pleasure of enjoying a watermelon infused with Beaujolais. This got me curious. How old is this dish? Are the vodka-spiked watermelons one sees at frat parties in the South a decendant of this dish, or is it simply a contemporary variation?

At a recent summer barbeque I had the pleasure of enjoying a watermelon infused with Beaujolais. This got me curious. How old is this dish? Are the vodka-spiked watermelons one sees at frat parties in the South a decendant of this dish, or is it simply a contemporary variation?

Never heard of such a thing in France. People here at barbecues get pissed on sangria.

I've heard of it, made it and even talked about it on eG (just don't ask me where). Pastèque à la provençale. The versions I know involve spiking the melon with Tavel rosé. Cut a hole at the stem end of the melon; scoop out some of the flesh and as many seeds as possible; fill cavity with wine; plug the hole with the rind; seal with wax (elegant) or duct tape (practical); chill for a couple of hours; unplug hole; drain and strain wine and juices into a pitcher; serve glasses of the liquor with slices of the melon. Best dang use for Tavel I ever did see. No skinny on the origins of it or the American version (in my youth we favoured vodka and tequilla), though I suspect it's a case of great minds thinking alike.

I think it is an American idea (and a brilliant one too) easily named "pastèque à la Provençale" because it's tavel wine and Provence sounds good. I've seen creative uses of watermelon in many places but never in France.

Edited by Ptipois (log)

I think it is an American idea (and a brilliant one too) easily named "pastèque à la Provençale" because it's tavel wine and Provence sounds good. I've seen creative uses of watermelon in many places but never in France.

Well, there's a recipe in the Larousse gastronomique (the 1984 edition; don't know if Robuchon and company left it in the new one). And I believe I first read about it many moons ago in one of the 100 fiches-cuisine de Elle books. The once I've served it to a French person, back in the early '80s, she said it wasn't new to her (and she was from Perpignan, not Provence). Also, I've never met an American watermelon that was spiked with anything other than hard stuff or juiced as per the French recipe.

Sounds like a case of "great minds" all around.

Watermelons are coming into season in my part of the world. I clearly need to have a party sometime soon.

Can you pee in the ocean?