• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Engaging all the senses . . .

Rebel Rose

I think most of us have noticed that strong odors interfere with our ability to evaluate and even enjoy wine, but I have also found that noise and music interfere with my ability to concentrate on the nuances of wine. For instance, at a wine festival or tasting where the crowds are tight and there is live music--it's really difficult for me to detect nuances. I really think drinking wine, or at least appreciating it deeply, is a whole body experience. :wink:

Anyone else notice this?

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook

Not me, and since I'm a professional musician, supposed background music that's playing really softly on the sound system can distract me. But it's really interesting noise has that effect on you. Does noise also affect your ability to detect nuances in food?

Michael aka "Pan"

I don't know. Now you've made me wonder and I'll start paying more attention. :blink:

Soft background music would be enjoyable, but loud or raucous music and juju lyrics annoy me when I'm trying to taste a wine. I think it just rattles my head.

Let me see, the five senses are sight, sound, smell, taste and feel. We judge the appearance of a wine, smell it, taste it, and we 'feel' certain characteristics, like the astringency of tannin, or the hot sensation of high alcohol, the glycerin thickness of a full-bodied wine, and certainly a wine's temperature. And of course, my own degree of thirst and body temperature affects my perception of a wine. So I was just wondering if anyone else ever thought about noise.

A few weeks ago I dined in town with friends in a restaurant's private room. The room was dark and the group got quite drunk and noisy. I ordered a halibut dish with a simple pesto sauce and garlic potatoes, and I think I appreciated it as fully as I could have, but then it was a very simple, light dish. We had a flight of wines including one white wine from the owner's private stash, chosen by the chef, and I found myself turning away from the other diners with my glass for a moment and tuning out the chaos around me in order to completely appreciate a sip of the wine. Terribly geeky, I know, but I just wanted to fully savor one sip. I allowed myself that one discreet geek moment and then I was back into the party.

Maybe I'm just not good at multi-tasking my senses. I wonder if one's sixth sense could be developed and used in the interest of wine tasting. What would we find out? :shock:

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook

Interesting question. I would not say that music per se interferes with my ability to focus and taste. However, if the music were loud or raucous or even particularly compelling, I think it might.

I do find that when I am drinking in a social environment, I have to find a little time to tune out everything around me and focus on the wine. If I don't do that, I may have some problems. I will taste the wine carelessly, not paying particular attention to the finish, not noting evolution (rather just having a few snapshots), not being able to bring everything together into a complete package.

I find that my notes (taken at the time of tasting) fall into three levels of detail. (1) At an organized tasting of a moderate number of wines (no more than 20-25), I will take notes that amount to six to eight very short key phrases. From this, I can then go back within a day or two and construct a complete and composed note very easily. (2) At a trade-type tasting with a larger number of wines or at a social event with other wine geeks (such as an offline), I take keyword notes. These may be no more than six to eight key words, if that. If I'm well focused, I can generally reconstruct complete notes from this. But a moment of focus for each wine is critical! (3) In a purely social context (where the wines are often less interesting as well), I will generally take no notes at all. If I am not careful to take a few moments when tasting to tune everything else out, I will be at a loss when it is time to write a note.

So...I find that focus and tuning out the "noise" is critical if I am to get a good imprint of the wine and write a reasonable note later...especially in cases (2) and (3) above.

Jack Nicklaus has said the single most important thing in becoming a consistent golfer is never, ever, under any circumstances to swing a club without planning the shot and focusing. Most serious bridge players will tell you the same sort of thing; you must never ever play a single card carelessly. Bad habits are easily ingrained. I believe the same thing about tasting, though it can be difficult to balance discipline with social grace.

Jim

Jim Jones

London, England

Never teach a pig to sing. It only wastes your time and frustrates the pig.

Nah.

For me it's the jerk wearing cologne or perfume that takes away from the total experience of wine tasting.

What the hell is wrong with these people. I'm sure they know they shouldn't wear anything with strong odors but they do regardless.

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that they also eat a large serving of extra hot vindaloo and chew on raw garlic before a tasting as well.

slowfood/slowwine

We had a flight of wines including one white wine from the owner's private stash, chosen by the chef, and I found myself turning away from the other diners with my glass for a moment and tuning out the chaos around me in order to completely appreciate a sip of the wine.  Terribly geeky, I know, but I just wanted to fully savor one sip.  I allowed myself that one discreet geek moment and then I was back into the party.

Maybe I'm just not good at multi-tasking my senses.  I wonder if one's sixth sense could be developed and used in the interest of wine tasting.  What would we find out?  :shock:

I don't think it's horribly geeky. I do lots of things outdoors in the heat in summer, and then go back inside somewhere for a beer. And while everyone I am out with is chatting and lying, about one time in five when the drinks appear, one person being spoken to will halt conversation with an upstretched finger while he or she savors that first taste of beer.

I think it's unfortunate timing that you had that situation occur, but what an experience!

If we could develop a sixth sense about wine, we'd probably find out what kind of romances the bottles were planning with each other as they danced in the dark cellar while the people are away living their lives of yearning and thirst. Now you know how the champagne breaks!

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

I think most of us have noticed that strong odors interfere with our ability to evaluate and even enjoy wine, but I have also found that noise and music interfere with my ability to concentrate on the nuances of wine.  For instance, at a wine festival or tasting where the crowds are tight and there is live music--it's really difficult for me to detect nuances.  I really think drinking wine, or at least appreciating it deeply, is a whole body experience.  :wink:

Anyone else notice this?

I had a friend who was both a music lover and a food lover (aren't we all!).

His opinion was that any music worth listening to demanded one's full attention.

Any food worth eating--the same!

I tend to agree, within reason. Enjoying a high tea to the strains of a harp etc is a situation where music and food and drink work together.

I must say that my enjoyment of good jazz is hindered by conversations and clinking glasses and I avoid anything that is even close to "Dinner Theatre"!

so

It depends upon the wine.

Having a glass of rose or a simple chardonnay --I am not at all put off by the surrounding hullabaloo.

A great Montrachet or a Lafitte --I prefer some good conversation and the gentle sounds of a well designed restaurant. I rarely like to enjoy wine in a hermetically sealed environment. I agree that a really fine complex wine is best enjoyed when one is not distracted.

I would agree with the poster who decries the distraction of strong perfume and colognes! Basically any form of "distraction" is unwelcome~! That is why restaurtant design is so important.