• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Quick! need suggestions for sweets

simdelish

Just thought I'd follow up on how things went Saturday night....Fabulously!

(Whew!)

Yes indeed, we had close to 1500 people -- that's the estimate. I had almost 3800 pieces (of which 1300 were various mousses piped into purchased chocolate cups, thank goodness), including:

passionfruit curd in filo cups

rasp mousse in wh choc, with crushed fresh (frozen) rasp in bottom

choc mousse in dk choc cups

cappuccino mousse in white choc cups

standard choc glazed cream puffs(filled with diplomat)

caramel pecan tartlets with choc ganache

cheesecake bites w/ dulce de leche top

raspberry macarons with pistachio bc filling

shards of almond toffee dipped in choc

perfect little layered almond petit fours with curly fancy M's piped on top (first letter of restaurant name)

all with perfect little garnishes as well, of course

The desserts were the hit of the whole party. According to the servers (who reported what the guests said), the owners, and even the chef, the desserts were better than the rest of the food(which included things like spearfish tartar with house-smoked chipotle aioli on taro root chips, and candy stripe beets with point Reyes cheese and candied walnuts -- not too shabby).

Supposedly guests kept asking the servers 'who made these fabulous sweets?' "where did they come from?' etc. All very nice, but these people seemed awfully easy to please, from my perspective. The few times I came up for a glass of champagne, and circulated with a tray of goodies, I was practically attacked with questions like 'will these be on the menu?' -- to which I proudly said "you ain't seen nothing yet!" :laugh: People also remarked "you're not from around here, are you? where did you COME from?" LOL

Anyway, it was all very glam, with the search light trucks, red carpet, velvet ropes, photographers and cameramen, big bouncers, to protect the celebs and vips. But as the night wore on, there were more gorgeous, elegantly dressed (it was black tie) but wasted people than I have ever seen in one place! The place has been hotly anticipated for some time, so I guess everyone was psyched. The champagne finally ran out at 12:30 (party started promptly, in full force, at 7 pm and the desserts came out at 9). The servers and bartenders even tipped me out (which has NEVER happened before to me, as a BOH person), as they said all people talked about were the desserts, so it made them look good too.

Funny story: they had made a big blowup of the menu and place on an easel by the front door, and it listed the whole menu, (firsts, mains, small plates) centered, with the desserts last. And then at the bottom, in big letters my name, and then Pastry Chef. No other names. They forgot to put the Exec's name on!

:smile: thanks for everyone's suggestions, and good vibes (and thanks Malawary for coming for a few hours on Friday to give me moral support!)

I like to cook with wine. Sometimes I even add it to the food.

Sounds like it was fabulous, I'm so glad for you that it went so well. Congratulations and thanks for sharing the up date. Good luck in your new position. Marilyn

check out my baking and pastry books at the Pastrymama1 shop on www.Half.ebay.com

Sounds great! I'd love to see any photos you might have taken.

Just a word of warning...........becareful not to upstage the chef too much..........it only leads to problems. If their quality doesn't match yours you might be in the wrong kitchen...........just be careful and down play the printing mistake that omited the chefs name. I doubt he'll find humor in it.

just be careful and down play the printing mistake that omited the chefs name. I doubt he'll find humor in it.

Oh, believe me, I know that! I never even had a single word about it with him. It was all his underlings, the sous, and the owners that thought it humorous, and ribbed him for it, and kept bringing it up. No problem tho, they think he's gifted, only because he tries new things and reads Michel Bras. He's pretty young, and has found himself in a very good position. But, he's quick to credit others -- he's putting the sous' name on the menu even.

btw, I did take a few photos with my new camera, but I haven't a clue yet how to get them moved around in my computer, much less post them here. sorry!

I like to cook with wine. Sometimes I even add it to the food.