• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

turkey cutlets

appreciator

In an attempt to vary my poultry consumption... today I picked up some "specialty" turkey cutlets. I'm going to cook them tomorrow night and am considering using this recipe from Oprah's magazine (I know, I know... please keep the snickering to a minimum) but would be interested in hearing how other people like to prepare them.

I know that turkey cutlets can become dry and tough fairly easily so that is why I have chosen a recipe with a 2 hour marinade. I have also found a couple of recipes on Cooking Light but as they don't include a marinade, I am reluctant to try them.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Edited by appreciator (log)

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

In an attempt to eat more healthy foods, I have been using turkey cutlets for some time now ... I usually make them in a schnitzel form .. pounding them out, dipping in egg, then panko crumbs, and sauteing them in oil ... not a very healthy combination .. but have done them with an orange-ginger sauce and stir fried with vegetables as well ... and with no disrespect to Oprah, whose recipe looks dreadful to me ...

Other options exist here:

several options from Cooks.com like piccata, cordon bleu, etc.

with Marsala wine

Turkey cutlets with balsamic glazed peppers

There are so many ways to make them .. hope one will be perfect for you! :wink:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

I pound mine thin and then put in some cheese - whatever I have on hand like some crumbled goat or a slice of provolone or swiss, a few fresh basil leaves now that summer is coming, roasted peppers, zucchini slices - whatever I have around (this is an excuse to clean the fridge! :biggrin: ). Roll the turkey up. I then chop up some fresh herbs (parsley, thyme, sage - again whatever is around) and roll the turkey in them. Then I just pan fry in a little olive oil till golden and yummy. Changing the herbs on the outside and whatever I stuff them with makes them different everytime. And using the herbs for flavor instead of bread crumbs saves a few of those pesky calories (which I then just sub for the cheese!)

This is what I do all summer: Marinate the turkey cutlets for about half an hour in a little brandy, olive oil, chopped shallots, salt, pepper. Grill very quickly--maybe a minute on each side--until just cooked through. Sprinkle with chopped fresh sage and serve with lemon wedges.

It's hard for me to believe that Mario's cutlets don't end up overcooked, although his recipes are usually very good.

Wow... what a lot of great ideas. Thank you.

I am definitely making something other than the recipe in Oprah now.... just have to figure out which one. :smile:

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

In an attempt to eat more healthy foods,  dipping in egg, then panko crumbs, and sauteing them in oil ... not a very healthy combination ..

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Sounds like my kind of health food Gifted!

Genny :wink: