• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Perfect Muffin Tops

digigirl

Renka said--

"Many times my "muffins" end up being like fluffy moist scones."

Yeah, it's true, even if muffins come out not the way they are supposed to, they are delish--heavy, light, big holes, dense crumb, tough or tender--what could not be good about eggy buttery and not too sweet?

But i am curious to try CanadianBakins' recipe--thanks for posting it.

And Ruthie--By Jove, you've got it! Those muffins are gorgeous!

Does anyone have the recipe for muffins from Anna Thomas' Vegetarian Epicure--I think from II--that was my basic muffin recipe for years, then the book fell apart and i didn't replace it--I had it written down but I cleaned out old recipes when i got a new recipe file and i must have put that recipe in the wrong pile and ditched it.

It's a whole wheat and molasses recipe--But the great thing about it is that i've altered it in a zillion ways and it still comes out good--it makes very solid, heavy, little muffins--the kind you can throw at your kid to make them stop acting up and it won't fall apart!

Zoe

The Vegetarian Epicure II has an oatmeal muffin recipe with molasses.

1 1/2 c whole wheat flour

2 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp salt

3/4 c rolled oats

1/4 c ground filberts (opt)

1 c milk

1 egg

3 tbsp melted butter

2 tbsp molasses

1/2 c currents

400 F for 20 minutes

12 muffins