• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Thai Restaurants in Hackensack

ngatti

Bangkok Garden used to be our regular Thai place, and we recommended it to people frequently. However, since we started going to Wondee's we've only been back there a couple times. It is a prettier restaurant, which may be important to you if you are going with non-foodie people or on a date. The food is quite good, but the food-vibe at Wondee's is much more serious.

Bangkok Garden - except for the fact that they don't have Moo Ping (a big oversight), the appetizers ARE better at Bangkok Garden than Wondees.

But EVERYTHING else is better at Wondees.  Except possibly the Beef Salad--which IS excellent at Bakgkok Gardens.

If it wasn't across from Wondees, Bangkok Gardens WOULD be worth going to.  But its across from Wondees, so unless I'm really in the mood for Beef Salad or appetizers, I'm Wondees bound.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Bangkok Garden used to be our regular Thai place, and we recommended it to people frequently. However, since we started going to Wondee's we've only been back there a couple times. It is a prettier restaurant, which may be important to you if you are going with non-foodie people or on a date. The food is quite good, but the food-vibe at Wondee's is much more serious.

Now I'm Intrigued.  Once I hear 'food vibe' or 'non-foodie people', you know the food bore police are going to be called :smile:

See, I've patronized Wondee's on a regular basis since it opened.  I've been going to Bangcok Garden since I can't remember.  Both are good for what they are and I recommend each for different reasons to different people.

Let me preface by saying that I don't consider myself to be a Thai food expert.  Although I've been patronizing Thai restaurants regularly since the mid to late 70s (only two Thai restaurants in New York City back then).  I also have a better than laymans knowledge of Thai ingredients and use fresh galangal, fish sauce, fresh kaffir lime leaf, lemon grass etc. on a regular basis in my own cooking.  However I'm quite ignorant of authentic regional differences and the cultural aspects regarding the "cuisine" of Thailand.

That said, I eat at Wondee's because it's cheaper. :smile:

Bangcock does seem to charge a premium for that Zagat rating.

The other thing that keeps me going to Bangcock more often than Wondee's is that the only Thai person I know who has eaten in both restaurants told me that Bankcock was a more authentic Thai dining experience. She was talking primarily about the food and not the admitedly gringo tourist pleasing ambience that the place has.

Both are filled with their share of scruffy Fairleigh students and young families.  But the legal crowd seems to favor Bangcock.  I've always noticed a larger number of Asian people in Bangcock.  I thought that said something about the food.

Lastly the Bancock Duck, which is served in both Restaurants is, IMHO, simply better prepared at Banckcock Garden.  It's a favorite dish of mine and there are times when I order it on a weekly basis.  My other favorite: Thai Duck with Coconut and Red Chili doesn't exist at Wondee's.

It seems people go to Wondee's because of larger portions for cheaper prices.  If I'm in the mood for noodles or apps or my kids are with me and it isn't a Monday (alas my only day off),

I head for Wondee's.  Otherwise if it's just the wife and I and I want some beer and dining room service along with some ambience and the very good duck dishes it's Bangcock Garden.

:smile:  The smile means that I'm not looking to start a flame war.  Just being a little provocative.

YMMV

Nick

:smile:  The smile means that I'm not looking to start a flame war.  Just being a little provocative.

YMMV

Nick

:biggrin:

it is clear to me that you have no idea what you're talking about.

Hey I not only said I was ignorant, I said i was quite ignorant.

:raz:

YMMV

Nick

Nick - all very good points.

That said, we went to Wondee's last night. A while back someone complained that they burned themselves on the metal pot the mussels came in. We ordered them for the first time last night and they are now served in a ceramic vessel. May not keep them as hot from first mussel to last, but then there's no hospital visits either. :wink:

BTW, now that I've had the mussels at both locations, they are both very good, but I don't remember the mussels at Bangkok Garden being as gritty as the ones last night were. I don't know if it is the restaurant's fault or just the way mussels are right now.

ngatti, I wouldn't put too much stock if someone gave you an authenticity argument for BG--even if they were Thai.  

Thai food is apparently quite diverse--there are at least four or five major branches of it.  Your friend may have simply felt it was closer to the food she grew up with.

Besides, I'm not sure authenticity would matter in an ultimate quality rating anyway.  Ambience certainly would--and BG wins for that.  It's a nice restaurant, that's held up for a LOT of years.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Nick - all very good points.

That said, we went to Wondee's last night. A while back someone complained that they burned themselves on the metal pot the mussels came in. We ordered them for the first time last night and they are now served in a ceramic vessel. May not keep them as hot from first mussel to last, but then there's no hospital visits either. :wink:

BTW, now that I've had the mussels at both locations, they are both very good, but I don't remember the mussels at Bangkok Garden being as gritty as the ones last night were. I don't know if it is the restaurant's fault or just the way mussels are right now.

They may not have been as gritty, but I'm sure they were more expensive.:biggrin:

It depends on the mussels the restaurant buys.  Usually the water they come from and the way they grow determine the grit.  Remember they are filter feeders.  Bulk bags of mussels tend to be gritty and have much non mussel material in the sack (rocks, winkles etc).  These mussels should be purged before serving much as you would purge a steamer clam.  Sometimes a restaurant does so much business that they can't be purged properly before service.  

I use a P.E.I. (Prince Edward Isle) mussel.  They're cultivated so there is very little, if any, grit.  They also come beardless which saves a ton of work. They cost a bit more but they're worth it.

Thanks for the response

Nick

Thai food is apparently quite diverse--there are at least four or five major branches of it.  Your friend may have simply felt it was closer to the food she grew up with.

Yes, it seems a very rich and varied cuisine.  I wish I had time to explore it more.  Good chance I'll be taking a cooking tour of Thailand next February (keeping fingers crossed).  Two weeks isn't much time to absorb but I'll give it a shot.   :smile:

Thanks

Nick

ngatti, did you make it to wondee's?

Yes I did.  Even got to look at a menu.  Had my heart set on

your pork appetizer.  But a personal problem got in the way and I never even ordered.  We had to leave without ordering :sad:

Not to worry I'll get there, but next nite out will be God knows when.  I'm beaucoup busy now.  Two thousand meals between Friday and Monday nite.

Pray for me :wink:

Thanx

Nick

ngatti, did you make it to wondee's?

Yes I finally did tommy.  This very evening in fact.

I did NOT have my kids with me and I ate with a much more critical eye (mouth? :wink: ) than I usually do.  I must say that it was the best Thai food that I'd eaten in years!  Hands down better than anything I had previously eaten at Wondee's OR Bangkok Garden.

I attribute this to several things.  Number one I started with the Moo Ping, which as you know is going to set the mood for the rest of the meal.   :wink:   The second thing is I ate things which I hadn't eaten before and the flavors were new and exciting.  We ate very early (5:45) and were the first dinner customers in the place.  That suggests to me that the mis en place was fresh and the cook(s) focused.  We were very complimentary to the manager/waitress/owner(?), Noy.  Explaining to her the Wondee's vs. Bangkok debate going on here on Egullet.  Also informing her the level of high regard that you Egulleteers hold Wondee's in.  She was impressed, to say the least and repeated the name Tommy several times, as if trying to fit the name to a face  :raz: .  She passed this to the Chef immediately

Now for the meal.  As previously stated we started with a shared order of Moo Ping.  Excellent, as was the chili paste dipping sauce.  Perfect slathered on the cuke garnish.

Next my wife and I split a salad called Som Thum.  Green papaya with ground shrimp and chili.  Was spicy but at the same time very refreshing.  The flavors were very round for spicy food.  Something that I feel is difficult to achieve.  But in this case seemed effortlessly produced.

For mains my wife had  Chicken Pad Krapow, ordered medium spicy.  Tasty, but a little muddy flavored for my taste.

I had Keang Pedt ordered spicy (hey, I like duck, sue me :raz: ).   Five dollars cheaper than at Bangkok but tasted ten dollars more expensive :smile: .  Again spicy but with clean round flavors coming through.  Compared to this the dish at Bangkok has a hashed out quality.

We brought a 1998 Argyle Willamette Valley Reserve Chardonnay with us.  No corkage fee (kewl :smile: ).

Total damage was $38.00 + tip.

cons and caveats:  1)The uncomfortable chairs. 2)dueling soft rock stations; one from the cashier/waiterstation and one from the kitchen. 3)summer sunset makes a significant portion of the dining room uncomfortable for early diners at this time of year.

Thank you egulleteers.  I wouldn't have tried it again without your opinions on this thread.

Nick

tasting a little crow and finding that he likes it :biggrin:

nick:  yawn.  tell me something i don't know.

Errrr...That the professional baseball team whose home field is geographically furthest north is not the Toronto Blue Jays or the Montreal Expos.  But is, in fact... the Minnesota Twins?

:raz:

Nick

re: corkage fee.  you should not find a BYO in NJ charging one.

I don't go to many BYOs.  My loss. :sad:   A few times to Chez Dominique in Bergenfield and a couple of times to it's former Incarnation, Chez Madeleine.   Always on somebody elses nickel so I wouldn't know what fees if any there would be.  

We charge corkage at the club.  Prolly 'cause we try to sell our own wine.   Good to hear.  Have get out more and try some other BYOs. :smile:

Uh oh.  Do you hear the footfalls of the Topic Police? :biggrin:

Nick