• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Formal Tea

CanadianBakin'

I've been asked to do the "sweet tier" for a mom and daughter tea at church in June. Someone else is doing the "savoury tier" and I don't think they're doing the "semi-sweet tier".

It's for 50 - 80 ladies. I'll get a firm number closer to the date. I was wondering which "sweets" you thought would be best for this. I was thinking of doing 5 different sweets. I know in your reviews you mentioned which ones you liked best at those particular restaurants but perhaps there was something you would have liked if it was made better or thought would be a great addition.

Would love your thoughts and suggestions.

PS At the moment I'm thinking of lemon tarts, a square I make that has a shortbread base, raspberry jam, white cake, icing and toasted coconut, fudgy brownies with a rosette of whipped gananche on top, maybe small ginger cookies and something with nuts to round it out.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

My initial thought is something cream-puffy or éclair-ish, since those are things I really like...but all of the items you mention sound good, especially the brownies with ganache, yum!

The only nutty thing I can think of is a pecan tart, and you already have two pastry/shortbread items, so that feels like it might be too much. How about some sort of item with pistachios on top? or something caramel...or a carrot cake square with a dollop of cream cheese icing on top, and a nut on top of that?

I'm hungry!

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

Will scones fall within your baking tier? I would suggest making mini-scones with whipped cream and raspberry jam. I always dollop the cream around the edge of the scone, leaving the centre empty. I then put a generous amount of jam in the centre. Plates really nicely.

You could make mini-cupcakes to add to the high tea experience. Or how about eccles, butter tarts, or Maid of Honour Tarts? Maybe another type of shortbread cookie? Also mini lemon meringue tarts look really nice too. A type of loaf (fruitcake?) could also work - little loaf pans are great for an afternoon tea. I would second the cream puffs/profiteroles/eclairs suggestion. Little cheesecakes could be a nice touch too. Or mini pain au chocolat.

Okay, I think my tea imagination is starting to go out of control! I better stop now ... and have some dessert!

ps - I held a tea for a slightly smaller group this Christmas and it was lovely, lovely! Enjoy

"There are few hours in life more agreeable than the hour dedicated to the ceremony known as afternoon tea."

~ Henry James, The Portrait of a Lady

Tara Lee

Literary and Culinary Rambles

http://literaryculinaryrambles.blogspot.com

I like the mini cheesecake and the mini pain au chocolat ideas. :smile:

Here are some more:

-mini Nutella tarts with a chocolate crust (like the Pierre Herme recipe?)

-you could top your lemon tarts with blueberries, or maybe garnish with edible flowers

-I love dipping half my shortbread cookies in bittersweet chocolate

-maybe pistachio macaroons? I think the pale green colour would look lovely on your tray of sweets. I would probably offer two types...maybe coconut?

I also love the look of lavendar sugar...and I think it would look so pretty on your sweets tray.

I've seen Claudia Fleming make these chocolate caramel tarts twice now on FoodTV, and they are adorable. I think this is the same recipe that's found in her cookbook. http://www.marthastewart.com/page.jhtml?ty...MSL&site=living

That being said, I love the more traditional offerings like cream puffs and eclairs too. :wub:

Thanks for the great ideas! I was hoping to have a variety of shapes and flavours so you've given me a great list to work from.

tarteausucre - the raspberry squares I mentioned were inspired by Maid of Honour Tarts I just wasn't sure if everyone would know what they were. My grandma always made the tarts when I was growing up.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

All good ideas, and I would add that with the mini scones you can offer both sweet and savory creme fraiche to go with them. It's nice to play on the savory/sweet edge, like the stilton or goat cheese cheesecake idea served on mini round shorcake cookies. I like the lavender garnish we had on the lemon tarts at Provence. I have a really nice buttermilk lemon filling recipe-you probably have your own favorite. I always love sugared flowers on tarts too, or just petals scattered on the serving trays. What about mini tartes au sucre?

Zuke

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."

--Mae West

I love occasions like this, (when I'm making a variety of sweets) to use as an excuse to finally try some of the many recipes I've printed off eG.

For example:

I've wanted to try some peanut butter fudge, here.

JFLinLA's coffee brownies are delisssssshious and theres a couple other items I'd like to try, here.

Chefette just posted a caramel buttercream recipe that's got me salivating, here. And theres been a number of cakes I'd like to try all of which you could make into mini cupcakes and put a pretty piped flower or sugared flowers on (that would look great on your tier). Look at these: strawberry cake, malted milk ball cake, white chocolate cake. Theres alot more! Someone recently mentioned Claudia Flemmings chocolate caramel tarts.........yum! Oh and take a good look at the "Chocolate Desserts By Pierre Herme'" thread here if you want a ton of GREAT recipes.

Why not try something new and if your feeling generous, come back and tell us about the items you made and what you thought of the recipes. We're always interested.

I tried the Financier recipe in Sherry Yard's book "Secrets of Baking" for a dessert buffet at work. It was really yummy! Moist, flavourful and nutty too!

You could make individual minis or a larger cake(as I did) and then cut it into smaller squares.

Edited by chocklateer (log)

Hey CB. I was going to suggest you might review my thread on the upcoming Bat Mitzvah but I see Wendy has already pointed you there. (I just finished my last batch of the coffee kahlua blondies and Dad will be by on Wednesday to bring them to their freezer.) Anyway, it turned into a long thread so you may want to skip to the end and see what I ultimately decided. All recipes have now been truly tested through by me so if you're interested and you want any practical advice, just let me know.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

• 3 weeks later...

The event is over and the desserts turned out great. I'm very sorry I don't have pictures. One of the ladies at the tea took a picture of the dessert table which I hope to get a copy of but I ended up there with a camera and no film. :(

I had 3 jobs all due within a couple days so I couldn't do as much variety and I had to be careful with my time but I'm still pleased with how it turned out and everyone was wowed! I ended up doing PH's Lemon Tart from Desserts but in individual size. I topped them with Sweet William's from my mother-in-law's garden in bright pinks and reds. Miniature carrot cupcakes (a recipe from the carrot cake thread) topped with a swirl of orange cream cheese icing and a bit of zest for colour. Tango cookies by Marcy Goldman which are almond shortbread cookies sandwiched with Dulce de Leche and topped with sifted icing sugar. Maid or Honor squares which tasted great but I've got to figure out a more dramatic way to decorate them. Fudgy brownies with a dark chocolate gananche glaze, a white chocolate gananche flower with a coffee bean center. And last but not least... the night before I was still toying with wanting to make something green as Ling had suggested. I would have liked to try Pistachio Macaroons but it was a bit late so I made mint meringues sandwiched with dark chocolate gananche. Mmmmm... these went over very well. I used the meringue recipe from Baking Illustrated and added 1/8 tsp mint extract and a couple drops of green food colour. I piped them about 1-1/2"in diameter, baked for 50 minute and let sit overnight.

The lemon tarts went first, followed closely by the mint meringues and the brownies. If I have the opportunity again, I'll have to plan ahead and use more of your suggestions.

Thanks again for all your help!

Edited by CanadianBakin' (log)

And last but not least... the night before I was still toying with wanting to make something green as Ling had suggested. I would have liked to try Pistachio Macaroons but it was a bit late so I made mint meringues sandwiched with dark chocolate gananche. Mmmmm... these went over very well. I used the meringue recipe from Baking Illustrated and added 1/8 tsp mint extract and a couple drops of green food colour. I piped them about 1-1/2"in diameter, baked for 50 minute and let sit overnight.

Those mint meringues with dark chocolate ganache sound heavenly! The crispy, airy meringues must have tasted wonderful next to the thick ganache. I'm glad everything turned out so well!

Someone PM'd me for a couple of the recipes I used so I thought I would post them here.

Notting Hill Brownies from betterbaking.com

2 cups white sugar

1 1/2 cups brown sugar

2 cups unsalted butter - melted and cooled

1 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla

6 eggs - lightly beaten

2 cups all-purpose flour

1 1/3 cups cocoa (sifted)

1 cup walnuts - chopped (optional)

3/8 teaspoon baking soda (a little less than 1/2 tsp.)

1/2 teaspoon salt

Whisk together dry ingredients in large bowl. Add butter and eggs. Stir till smooth and glossy. Pour into 9x13 pan lined with parchment and sprayed. Bake 35 - 40 minutes at 325F or till done. *I usually bake longer so they stay thicker and don't sink as much. Simply for looks. It's really hard to over cook these since there's so much butter. Cool in pan.

Glossy Glaze also from betterbaking.com

4 ounces semi or bittersweet chocolate

2 tablespoons corn syrup

2 ounces or 4 tablespoons unsalted butter

Simply melt chocolate and stir in butter and corn syrup. Pour over warm brownies. It will set as the brownies cool.

Freeze before cutting off edges and making into squares.

I used the White Chocolate Gananche recipe on baking911.com. Whipped it and piped a small daisy on each square with a coffee bean in the center.

These keep really well and are a good base for a number of variations. I've used them for Rocky Road brownies and I just noticed today on betterbaking.com that Marcy sometimes tops the dough with scoops of Dulce de Leche and swirls it in a bit before baking. They are by no means the fudgiest or most chocolatey but a good basic brownie.

Edited by CanadianBakin' (log)

Maid of Honor Bars - these were inspired by the Maid of Honor Tarts my grandma used to make when I was a little girl.

Start with a basic shortbread crust.

4 oz butter

10 oz AP flour

1-3/4 oz sugar

1/2 tsp salt

Press into a parchment-lined 9x13 pan. Bake for 15 - 20 minutes at 350F or till lightly coloured.

Spread with 1-1/2 cups raspberry jam. (Homemade if you have it)

I cheat on the next layer but it depends on your time.

I use 2/3's of a 2 layer white or yellow cake mix that uses 3 eggs. Just prepare as per the directions adjusting everything accordingly or make it all but use only 2/3's and make some cupcakes with the rest. (I hope that makes sense)

Bake 15 - 20 minutes or till toothpick comes out clean.

Cool completely.

Icing:

8 oz icing sugar

2 oz butter

1 tsp vanilla

1 oz water

a couple drops of lemon oil (optional)

Whip together and spread evenly over cooled cake.

Lightly toast about 1 cup of shredded coconut and sprinkle over top. Cuts best if frozen first.

Everyone who tries this loves it but it's not as visually pleasing as some of the others. If anyone has ideas on how to use these components in a different way to improve the look I'm open for suggestions.