• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Tropicalsenior

Tropicalsenior

@TdeV I found this article and it is the standard that I have always tried to go by.

"you may safely use either white or cider vinegar as long as it is labeled as 5% acidity. Sometimes it is labeled as 50 grain."

I have to be very careful about the vinegars that I buy here because so many of them are synthetic vinegar and they don't come up to this standard.

@liuzhou I was curious to see that you say that you use rice wine vinegar. The vinegars that I get here just say rice vinegar. I have even been corrected by some 'cooking aficionados' when I said I used rice wine vinegar and been told that there is no such thing. Is there a difference in the taste between rice wine vinegar and rice vinegar? Is it milder?

20230616_075040.thumb.jpg.cc03707fe469f37135ebba4a02da99ee.jpg

These are the two that I have on hand. I know that the one on the right is Japanese but the one on the left is much more acidic, much sharper.

Tropicalsenior

Tropicalsenior

@TdeV I found this article and it is the standard that I have always tried to go by.

"you may safely use either white or cider vinegar as long as it is labeled as 5% acidity. Sometimes it is labeled as 50 grain."

I have to be very careful about the vinegars that I buy here because so many of them are synthetic vinegar and they don't come up to this standard.

@liuzhou I was curious to see that you say that you use rice wine vinegar. The vinegars that I get here just say rice vinegar. I have even been corrected by some 'cooking aficionados' when I said I used rice wine vinegar and been told that there is no such thing. Is there a difference in the taste between rice wine vinegar and rice vinegar? Is it milder?

These are the two that I have on hand. I know that the one on the right is Japanese but the one on the left is much more acidic, much sharper.

White rice vinegar.jpg

Tropicalsenior

Tropicalsenior

I found this article and it is the standard that I have always tried to go by.