• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Deli Delivery

AlisonA

I realize this may come across as rude and complaining when someone was doing a very big favor for me but . . . I recently received as a gift a delivery of food from Nana's deli and found it lacking (not just the bread they forgot to deliver to go with all the luncheon items, but I am not fond of sweet tuna salad, world famous or not). Unfortunately my husband is seriously ill (leukemia) and, fortunately, I can expect more deliveries like this. Is there anyplace I can gently point them to? I threw out an awful lot of food, although that was in part because they simply ordered too much, so I am not sure that a different deli would help with that :biggrin:

So, feeling like a bit of a cad, but it truly is of no help if I don't eat it, any suggestions? Someplace that does less of the prepared heavy main dishes - brisket, turkey loaf - and more roasted veggies, simply prepared courses - that will deliver?

(now it could be Nana's does that and it simply was not ordered, but being somewhat new to the area I only have had this one experience).

Thanks,

AlisonA

Still searching for hash browns in Jersey.

First of all, Alison, my sympathies about your husband's illness--that's tough stuff. Hopefully you have a great network of friends and family to support the family as you battle this.

Has the Chicken Nest reopened since the fire in that strip mall? Their food used to be good. Kings also has deli and prepared foods, as does Livingston Bagel and Deli--and the selection there ranges from chicken soup to the heavy stuff like brisket. And of course, there's Bill and Harry's on S. Livingston Avenue--plenty of veggies there!

Is there any chance you can get people to pay these places but let YOU order? I'm sure that's tough to present as an idea, but it would save you from wasting food...

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

First of all, Alison, my sympathies about your husband's illness--that's tough stuff.  Hopefully you have a great network of friends and family to support the family as you battle this.

Has the Chicken Nest reopened since the fire in that strip mall?  Their food used to be good.  Kings also has deli and prepared foods, as does Livingston Bagel and Deli--and the selection there ranges from chicken soup to the heavy stuff like brisket.  And of course, there's Bill and Harry's on S. Livingston Avenue--plenty of veggies there!

Is there any chance you can get people to pay these places but let YOU order?  I'm sure that's tough to present as an idea, but it would save you from wasting food...

Thanks, we are keeping a positive attitude, he does have a type with a decent total remission rate. We just have to get there.

So, as for your suggestions I have no idea on the Chicken Nest :wink: (what strip mall? where?)

But Kings (brain mush I didn't think of this myself!) might work out, so might Livingston Bagel. I will forward those on (gently).

As for ordering myself, while a nice idea, I know myself (as do these people) and it wouldn't make the priority list over say, laundry or dishes or kid time (or mind numb time on the computer :raz: ). So it would be better to let them just do it. I plan to gently point out that the kids don't like big heavy meals and I need something lighter that I can have for lunch or dinner (both being very true and part of why I made this post to start).

Thanks again.

AlisonA

Edited by AlisonA (log)

So sorry about your husband Allison, best of luck. (And I have to agree with you on Nana's tuna!)

Roadrunner delivers from many local restaurants to Livingston, not sure in Millburn. People can even give gift certificates! Chicken Nest has awesome skinless fried chicken. While they're sort of homless right now because of a fire, they are still doing catering. Give them a call, and don't leave out the chicken soup and matzah balls from your order. They also have great vegetarian chopped liver.

There are also two delis owned by families who live in Livingston, so they may deliver--Hobby's in Newark and Zayda's in South Orange. And both understand the difference between adult and kid food!

People will not be offended by you making suggestions--they want to help. A friend recently very nicely said, you know, everyone has sent over ziti and chicken parm (probably thinking they are kid friendly) and I'd love a nice roast chicken. I was so happy she said that because when we brought over the Eppes Essen chicken dinner, I knew we were really helping her.

Beth

Alison--

Chicken Nest was in the mall that's almost to the corner of S. Livingston Ave and Mt Pleasant (Rt 10)--with a big Bottle King on the end. I'm guessing that if you call them (the # I found is 973-992-3222), you can find out where they're operating from at the moment.

Hobby's is terrific food; didn't realize the owners lived in Livingston, but I agree that they would likely make a delivery on the way home. The only thing is, this is the same kind of food that Liv Bagel makes, so it's not like it's a different option. The good thing about LB is that you can get everything from salads (chopped or not) to hot dogs to soup, bagels and lox, etc. Seems like that would give you lots of options for you and the kids.

I agree that by being honest/vocal with your friends, they'll end up helping more than adding to your stress. The other idea is to get some stuff to put in your freezer (i.e. soups, already cooked chicken breasts, etc) so you don't have to order every time you decide you want something.

Curlz

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

How about Jerusalem West, on Mount Pleasant Ave? They have Middle Eastern/Israeli food plus your standard deli-type items. They offer lots of veggie dishes (grilled & otherwise).

-Larry

Rosie--

Do you know if they're reopening at all? And if so, where?

Contact Chef Bruce Miller, formerly from The Black Horse Inn and Girafe Restaurant who has recently opened Cafe Serene, 55 Mount Pleasant Avenue, Livingston as he can provide prepared meals for take-out to your specifications. His casual restaurant offers create your own salads, wraps, and stuffed baked potatoes. Toppings include grilled chicken, turkey, Mediterranean tuna, shrimp, poached salmon and a variety of cheeses and vegetables. Along with pasta and sandwiches, some of the dinner choices include roasted half chicken, potato crusted salmon, tuna tataki, and filet mignon au poivre. Desserts are made in house. For information call 973-994-2300.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all the well wishes. He has finished the chemo, now we are waiting for it to hit, then waiting to see how his body responds after that. Long days ahead.

First I should say I was WRONG about Nana's food - they only ordered "comfort food" - looking at the menu they certainly seem to have a lot of other things available, although I still have not tried any.

Livingston bagel has been working out OK. It is close so it is easy to stop by and pick up something when he is hungry.

I will definately look into Cafe Serene. Still being a newbie can anyone tell me where on Mt. Pleasant that is? Is that nearer to Ritz Diner or Livingston Circle or even further up?

On second thought, given how infrequently I make it here :smile: , I'll just e-map it.

Thanks again for the suggestions and support.

AlisonA