• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where to get good soup?

jb_973

A friend of my wife's, knowing that I spend far too much time talking about food, asked me the other day where she could take-out some good soup.

I was stumped! The only place I could think of was Panera, and, while their soups are pretty decent, they do get monotonous after a while. Can anyone recommend somewhere in West Orange (+ beyond) to get some good soup?

I only know about Eastern Bergen County, and here are my faves: Chez Cheese on the main drag in Tenafly has great homemade soups every day with at least one pure vegetarian soup; Michael's, in Downtown Cresskill, has one terrific soup daily, and Isaballa"s, a beautiful new gourmet deli just opened in Closter on the corner of Closter Dock and Durie, has superb homemade soups daily. These are the 3 best in the area for homemade soup IMHO.

A friend of my wife's, knowing that I spend far too much time talking about food, asked me the other day where she could take-out some good soup. 

I was stumped!  The only place I could think of was Panera, and, while their soups are pretty decent, they do get monotonous after a while.  Can anyone recommend somewhere in West Orange (+ beyond) to get some good soup?

The closest place for quality soup (in my humble opinion) is DAILY SOUP. They have two locations: Montclair and Newark.

Nutley Resident

-------------------------

Proud to be American

Proud to be a Nutley Township Resident

Where is the Daily Soup in Montclair?

I'm not a huge fan of Panara, and I'd love to check out a new soup place.

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

I work pretty close to the Daily Soup in Newark, but I actually forget that it's there most of the time, b/c as much as I love soup, it's ridiculously expensive. You can easily spend $7 for a large container of soup with a piece of bread, and the container really isn't that large. Is this the case at the Montclair location as well?

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

There is a little soup store in Rahway called (what else??) "Soup Store". I went there Saturday for the first time. The owner, Betsy, makes 5 different soups daily. That day there was: chili, chicken matzoh ball, beer cheese, philly cheese steak, and white bean kale.

I tasted all but the chili. I thought the philly cheese steak was pretty good! (It was almost stew-like with beef, onion, peppers, cheese) I've heard her seafood bisques are good, but sadly, she didn't have them that day.

She gives a piece of fruit (choice of apple or orange) and bread and butter, crackers, homemade croutons and a cookie. I think it was 5.99 for the middle size (16 oz) with all the goodies.

She has a bucket on the counter with rubber chickens in it. She handed me a plastic kiddie gun which she loaded (with a small plastic toy chicken, I think). She told me if I shoot the chicken into the bucket I get a free 12 oz soup. I got it in, but it bounced out!.

Then because I spent over $20 (I got 2 soups and a book) she told me I get to pick a free prize. She had a jar of folded slips of paper, and I reached in and chose one. I got a free Soup Store travel mug.

Too cute. It was like a carnival with soup. :raz:

P.S. on my way home I stopped at Quizno's (for the first time ever) to get a sandwich and decided to get one of their soups too (for comparison purposes). I actually liked theirs the best! It was chicken corn chowder - with a touch of cream, and a spicy kick - really really good!!

Soup Store

687 Jaques Ave.

Rahway

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Given its proximity, I think I'll give Daily Soup in Montclair a try first. Does anyone know if these are the same as the Daily Soups in the city? When I used to work downtown, I used to go to the one at 55 Broad St - they used to have a good selection of soups.