• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Baby fennel - raw?

cacao

Hello:

I love fennel raw, broiled, braised, etc; but I've only just recently discovered baby fennel in the market. I'm having an Italian themed dinner party in a few days, and I'm wondering what to do with the lovely baby fennel I just purchased!

I'm making a simple young veggie stew of artichokes, baby potatoes, peas and asparagus, and I know I could do well to toss the baby fennel in that pot. But I think I'd prefer to let it stand more on it's own, in a salad course. I Was thinking with some belgian endive and blood oranges... but, my question is, is baby fennel as good as mature bulbs, sliced thin and eaten raw? Or should I really stew or broil them, for taste or texture? I'm afraid, for instance, that the young bulbs are extra fiberous, as the stalks can often be. Does anyone know how to best treat young fennel bulbs?

thanks,

Cacao

I'm afraid, for instance, that the young bulbs are extra fiberous, as the stalks can often be.  Does anyone know how to best treat young fennel bulbs?

I've never had baby fennel, but I'd expect it to be if anything less fibrous. Try a bit and see!

fennel is one of my favorite vegetables--cooked or raw. i was fixing dinner at some friends' house the other day and made a very simple salad of raw fennel sliced fairly thin (too thick and it can be fibrous; too thin and it gets limp), dressed with just olive oil, a very little garlic and some chopped up fronds. you don't really need to add an acid with fennel, but if you insist, a squirt of lemon would be ok. this is a very standard dish at my house, during the winter i'll serve it 4 or 5 times. it never gets old.

I make a salad with thinly sliced fennel (soaked in ice water for a while, then drained--this crispens it up some), olive oil, grapefruit, a little salt and ground cumin, and some of the fennel leaves for color.

Yes, raw fennel is perfectly fine. The salad suggestion you're thinking of would work well. Also try:

Dipped in high-quality olive oil, then salt, pepper, or vinegar.

Dipped in bagna cauda: anchovies, butter, garlic, olive oil brought to a simmer together and kept warm for service

Boiled for 6-8 minutes, then seared in a hot pan with olive oil. Mash in garlic and anchovies after they have browned well, top with lemon juice and serve.