• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tifco's China Bistro

philadining

Part of me almost begins to think that the place is getting amusement from seeing just what stuff we're made of.

Funny you should say that. It occurred to me that our runaway waiter might have told the kitchen to "stick it to that wine bucket bitch on Table 23". :laugh:

We went to Tifco last night, while we were out that way buying a wedding shower present at Bed, Bath & Beyond. I took pains to carefully tell the guy out front (I assume he's either the owner or the manager or both, late 40s, glasses, smiles a lot) in the simplest terms that, while I'm capable of ingesting fire, I didn't enjoy it in the rabbit dish that I had the last time, especially when it made the food unenjoyable. His reaction was pronounced.

"Runaway waiter" took orders for a scallion pancake, cantonese beef stew, and the #45 chicken dish back to the kitchen. He conveniently forgot to bring us the sodas that we ordered, which, of course obviated his need to half-scream at me "NO REFILLS! EACH ONE YOU PAY!" like he did once before. The food came out quickly and was absent the decidedly hellfire and brimstone nature of past offerings. Frankly, I think "runaway waiter" is family of some sort, because I couldn't imagine any other way that such an unfriendly, surly, and inattentive member (the member, in this case) of waitstaff would survive elsewhere.

Great food, yes, but inconsistent, and with a cast, pardon the horrible non-pun, from a movie adaptation of a Sax Rohmer novel.

Funny note: Before we sat down, I confirmed at the front door that they close at 9 pm. A four-top and a two-top come in at 8:45 pm and the waiter informs them that they close at 9:30 pm. :raz:

I'm happy to say that dinner at Tifco's last night was solidly good all the way around. Service was friendly and helpful, they automatically brought bowls and spoons for soup-sharing, and there was no rushing us out the door...

We tried the first soup on the Chinese menu, which our handy translation menu called  tomato soup with egg drop or pork. What we got was both: a very nice, mild, but rich soup, featuring a slightly creamy stock in which were floating pieces of tomato, strings of egg, and large shreds of pork. Very comforting on a cold night, and a HUGE portion for $5.95, it could easily serve four. Not the most exciting soup in the world, but very tasty, hearty and satisfying.

We also ordered the double-cooked pork (#47) which was excellent, as always. Thick slices of pork belly are braised, then fried, with scallions, ginger, garlic and a bit of hot pepper. It's  a little spicy but not over-the-top, it's mostly just nice salty, crispy, fatty, porky goodness!

We took a chance on #44 which is untranslated on the in-house menu, but described as "sliced chicken with special sauce" on our menu, courtesy of Eastlake...  This was a very elegant dish, but mild in every way. It featured very tender, wide slices of chicken breast, large, flavorful black mushroom caps, and a subtle, velvety, light sauce. Some might find this a little dull, and I'm not sure it's on the top of my list of things to get again, but it was an excellent version of this kind of dish, with a luxurious texture and quiet, but pleasant flavors of mushroom and chicken.

Again, loads of food, filled two of us up and left plenty to take home, $30. 

Next time, we try more soups!

Here's a questions that no one's asked:

Is this place DDC-worthy?

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

Here's a questions that no one's asked:\

Yes and No... they've got the space, the manager's cool, I'll bet we could set something up.

BUT! As Katie's and the Flavor Flav's (and my) experiences demonstrate, it puts the D back in DDC. They could tone it down, which sort of negates the reason for going there, but much of the food is freaking seriously spicy. I actually like it like that, as have others here, but it's just too much for some folks.

Of course, we could probably design a banquet-ish thing with a range of heat.

Any other opinions?

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

Yes and No... they've got the space, the manager's cool, I'll bet we could set something up.

BUT! As Katie's and the Flavor Flav's (and my) experiences demonstrate, it puts the D back in DDC. They could tone it down, which sort of negates the reason for going there, but much of the food is freaking seriously spicy. I actually like it like that, as have others here, but it's just too much for some folks.

Any other opinions?

But maybe that would be the point: we really haven't done a fire-breathing dinner yet; this could qualify. I remember several years ago a Book and The Cook event at the North Star Bar called "Eat The Heat" with guest chef Jennifer Trainer Thompson, which was all about eating some seriously hot dishes, along with a "buffet" of hot sauces displayed during a cocktail hour. It was a pretty cool event, maybe my favorite TBATC event ever, because it really pushed the envelope of flavor and pain.

Not everyone can attend every DDC thing, but it should appeal to the majority of folks, I would think.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Food Writer At Large

Any other opinions?

But maybe that would be the point: we really haven't done a fire-breathing dinner yet; this could qualify. I remember several years ago a Book and The Cook event at the North Star Bar called "Eat The Heat" with guest chef Jennifer Trainer Thompson, which was all about eating some seriously hot dishes, along with a "buffet" of hot sauces displayed during a cocktail hour. It was a pretty cool event, maybe my favorite TBATC event ever, because it really pushed the envelope of flavor and pain.

Not everyone can attend every DDC thing, but it should appeal to the majority of folks, I would think.

Rich - I was at that "Eat the Heat" dinner too and it was great. I agree that it was one of the most fun B&tC events ever.

I'd be happy to go back for a DDC at Tifco's, but I'd want to be damned certain they have their very best staff on that day and make it clear to the manager what our expectations were in terms of range of dishes/heat, minimal acceptable service standards, etc. Hopefully, in spite of my and FF's experiences there more recently, someone there knows something about service and treating customers with some respect. I surely do not want some inattentive surly waiter screaming at me about a soda refill because no one has told him that's inappropriate. That's most certainly not worth the long drive out there and I might go ballistic on management if that were the case.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Any other opinions?

Rich - I was at that "Eat the Heat" dinner too and it was great. I agree that it was one of the most fun B&tC events ever.

I'd be happy to go back for a DDC at Tifco's, but I'd want to be damned certain they have their very best staff on that day and make it clear to the manager what our expectations were in terms of range of dishes/heat, minimal acceptable service standards, etc. Hopefully, in spite of my and FF's experiences there more recently, someone there knows something about service and treating customers with some respect. I surely do not want some inattentive surly waiter screaming at me about a soda refill because no one has told him that's inappropriate. That's most certainly not worth the long drive out there and I might go ballistic on management if that were the case.

Hell, this is sounding more dangerous with every step toward it. Add a few strong beers and I can see the headline in the Inky:

"Dining Club Dinner Dissolves into Donnybrook"

I LIKE it!

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Food Writer At Large

I might just be too easy-going for my own good, but I encounter really strange service in little places like this so often that it rarely bothers me. It doesn't seem to be specific to any type of cuisine or national origin, it's more a factor of independent, small, casual restaurants being the kind of places that'll hire some kid because he's somebody's son, or neighbor or a friend of a friend...

And sure, sometimes those guys are clueless, and sometimes they're downright maddening, but you know, it's just part of the deal at little family-run places. I choose not to let it get to me, unless the servers are actively pouring hot soup all over me or calling me names.

I've honestly had good service at Tifco's more often than bad, but it's just not the kind of place that's going to have super-slick ultra-professional service. Ever. And if that's going to annoy people, we probably shouldn't descend upon them en mass and set up the afore-mentioned donnybrook! But if we can be a little chill and just realize that they're a place that just gets the food on the table, I'll bet we could have a good time. And dangerous too!.

philadining.com

i have a task, if anyone is up to the challege ...

i went to tifco's for lunch today with a nice mix of people (eight of us).

i have the translation for the dinner menu ... does anyone have a translation for the express lunch menu? most of it is translated, but there are about 10 dishes in all chinese.

we got szechuan style shrimp,peking style pork, cold chicken in spicy sauce, jah jah mein, chicken in garlic sauce, ma po tofu, stir fried string beans (which were GREAT!) and chicken lo mein. the lunches are decent sized plate of food, plus soup, for 5.95. quite the good deal!

there is also a back room with three round tables (that can hold about 10 people) and a long table that holds 8, so if we ever plan a larger outing, we'll have a place to sit.

the service was fine. not gracious by any means, but he got the job done in a timely manner.

"The perfect lover is one who turns into pizza at 4am."

Charles Pierce

• 3 weeks later...

For all Tifco lovers,

Just got some info that the Master Chef is leaving at the end of March and starting his own restaurant in Chinatown. (915 Arch).

He is taking the whole kitchen staff with him. Here is the info on the new restaurant.

ww.CKGarden.com

Expect to open on in Mid April.

Hurry to Tifco this week if you can not wait for two weeks for the Master Chef start cooking again.

For all Tifco lovers,

Just got some info that the Master Chef is leaving at the end of March and starting his own restaurant in Chinatown. (915 Arch).

He is taking the whole kitchen staff with him. Here is the info on the new restaurant.

ww.CKGarden.com

Hurry to Tifco this week if you can not wait for two weeks for the Master Chef start cooking again.

is tifco's closing or getting a new master chef?

Charles Pierce

I didn't need more of a prompt than that, and headed over with a friend tonight: fully nuclear versions of guizhou chicken and lamb with cumin, hottest I've ever had them, but still really tasty.

I certainly wish the chef luck in Chinatown, and hope they find a worthy successor at Tifco's!

philadining.com

For all Tifco lovers,

ww.CKGarden.com

Well this is good news. At least I won't have to drive as far for the abuse... :huh:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

For all Tifco lovers,

ww.CKGarden.com

is tifco's closing or getting a new master chef?

Tifco's will be shut down for conversion into a typical American Chinese Restaurant. No more real spicy Chinese food..:-(

i went last night for my last hurrah. the guizhou style chicken was atomic (i asked that they tone it down a little and i think they did the opposite) and ma po tofu. yummm. i'm gonna miss it. :(

Charles Pierce

I feel ya SaxChic, I didn't ask for any changes in the heat, and the Guizhou I ordered on monday practically melted the serving spoon.... but man it was good!!

Tuesday, I stir-fried an entire sweet onion, a bell pepper, and a carrot, added a little chicken broth, and then dumped in a small amount of leftover chicken, and it STILL smacked me around pretty good.

It's really not a macho thing about how much heat I can tolerate, I really think it's a delicious dish as it is, and I'm happy to have it the way they think is best. But wow, it's right up to the edge of what I can handle.

It's seriously sad news that Tifco's will likely be just a plain old Americanized Chinese place in the future, it was a real asset to Chester County. I get into Philly enough that I'll be at the Chef's new place in Chinatown just as often, but it was nice to have something that good out here.

Don't know if I can make it out there tonight, but I'm glad I went on monday!

philadining.com

Oh, it was everything that it could be tonight. Everything was just spot-on.

We went aiming for leftovers, and we got them: szechuan green beans, scallion pancakes, twice cooked chicken (one above Guizhou), lamb with cumin, spicy wontons, and old No. 7, cold spicy tripe and beef. Best of all, our ocasional nemesis, "scowly face waiter," was nowhere to be seen.

Now, some better news. The guy out front, who I suppose is either the owner, manager, or both, told me that they are going to try and retain a select number of the most popular traditional dishes from the Chinese menu, given their popularity. He also mentioned changes to the windows to create greater privacy, and removing both the partition wall and the center partition between the center booths to create more and better seating. He didn't, however, mention anything about changes in the kitchen staff. That, I suppose, was an attempt to save a bit of face and to buttress our confidence in their return.

I can only hope that they find a capable replacement and continue knocking out honest to goodness Szechuan rather than giving up and pushing the same sweet-sour-salty sodium-laden crap that passes for Chinese food everywhere else. Tifco was a revelation that came along at a timely juncture, and I for one will miss it should the changes completely destroy what was.

I am crushed. It took so long to find a place that makes chinese food with serious heat.

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

I stopped by for some take-out on Friday (mar 31st) evening. In speaking with the owner, it seems like the spicy dishes we like on the Chinese menu are going to stay. They are planning a few items that were not selling well and this will be the first time they change the menu in 4 yrs.

This news delighted me...only time will tell if the food is as good (or better? :wink: ) when they re-open.

Cheers

Percy

• 3 weeks later...

Finanly Chef's new place will open on Saturday 4/22.

They seems to added some new spicy dishes.

The menu now is fully translated although with limited explanantion.

Looks like they are going MORE CHINESE which is a good news for hardcore Szechuan spicy fans like us.

Check out the website which has the new menu. www.ckgarden.com