• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Asian Restaurants . . .

jamiemaw

Do any of you have favourite Asian restaurants that combine both solid food and wine programs? The Pink Pearl has a well thought out wine list, but what works for you?

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

I know that Jamie is speaking of the Vancouver area but here in Edmonton finding an Asian restaurant with a solid food and wine program is similarly problematic. Most of the spots here, if they have wine at all, are limited to a jug of this or one of those pre-poured carafes of mediocre plonk like Castelbello, Domaine d'Or a.k.a. "Garage Door" and the like.

Two that spring to mind are "Lemongrass Cafe" off 51 st Avenue I think it is, west of Calgary Trail and "Wild Tangerine" on 104th Avenue "kitty corner" to the Sidetrack.

I mention the first with some reservation because the one and only time I went to the Lemongrass Cafe I did so at least in part because of the positive comments I had heard about the wine list. It was good and I ordered a bottle of sauvignon blanc from CA's Blockheadia Ringosi [sp?]. Unfortunately it was corked.

I sent it back. Staff tried to convince me that that was the way the vintage tasted. No. Got another bottle. Much better. Have not been back. I will not put up with that kind of crap.

The second is much better. Wilson and Judy Wu used to operate "Polo's" a fusion-styled spot near the University Hospital. It always had a very good wine list as Wilson knows his wine. It was a higher end spot.

They closed it some time ago and went back to visit Asia. They now have opened the Wild Tangerine. I "reviewed" it some time ago. I really like their more casual approach to asian-influenced dining. They have a smaller wine list but it is well chosen. A fair number of good wines by the glass. Blue Mountain Gamay Noir, d'Arenberg Hermit Crab Marsanne-Riesling and quite a few more that escape me at the present.

Getting hungry maybe I'll head there for lunch today as Judy's "popsicle shrimps" with wasabi-yoghurt sauce and their 5 Spice Marinated Octopus salad are to "kill for".

Jamie,

I guess the the key word is "Asian". I think the wine lists at Chi, Wild Rice, and Vij's have great lists if you classify them in this broad catagory.

Cheers,

Stephen

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

Seems to me Spice Islands near 41st and Dunbar had a better than average wine list

for an Asian resto, but I can't remember. We'd need someone to stop by and do a recon. They are close to a great wine store...

Zuke

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."

--Mae West

I think that any Asian/Chinese restaurant with a wine list (rather than just a selection of wines to offer to customers whenever asked) as part of the menu deserves to be mentioned. Few do actually come to my head..

One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.

Virginia Woolf

I think that any Asian/Chinese restaurant with a wine list (rather than just a selection of wines to offer to customers whenever asked) as part of the menu deserves to be mentioned. Few do actually come to my head..

I know that Simply Thai has quite a list for such a small restaurant. They were recognized by Wine Spectator for their list last year. Is this what you are looking for ?

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

Spice Islands does have a decent wine list with great prices (Dunbar and 41st). I went there for lunch today and wrote down the B.C selections. There are 5 red "pouring wines" available by the glass, 1/2 litre and bottle: Stonewood Gamay from Naramata is $5 glass, $15 for a half litre. and $26 a litre. Hester Creek Merlot is $28 a bottle. There are 7 white "pouring wines" including Stonewood Pinot Blanc $26 a litre, and Mission Hill Vintners Select Chardonnay at $26 a litre.

Wild Goose Okanagan Falls Riesling is $28 a bottle. Red Rooster Gewurtz is also $28 a bottle.

They also have 2 bubblies, a dessert wine (Hester Creek Late Harvest Trebbiano-glass is $3.95, $20 for the half litre and $28 a bottle), and a port (Ruby Port Kopke). I've never heard of that port-don't know where it's from.

I've had lunch three times there and always love the spicing. My favorite so far is the Nas Uduk Istimewa, which is a coconut milk rice platter served with a tamarind fried chicken drumstick and condiments.

The food is Dutch Indonesian. I've always wanted to get a group of people to try out the Rijstafel-a feast of many dishes (for 22$ each) you order 24 hrs in adavance (minimum 2 people.), but most of my friends are vegetarians.

The lunch prices are around $7.50 for a light meal. If you're a heavier eater you can always order appies.

I popped around the corner to Village wines afterwards, chatted about the Naramata Bench tasting last night (more on that later), and picked up a bottle of Riesling. There is also a women's (pricey) consignment store, a Chinese bakery and "Organica café" in the same block. Also, don't forget the giant used bookstore across the street.

Zuke

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."

--Mae West

I know that Simply Thai has quite a list for such a small restaurant. They were recognized by Wine Spectator for their list last year. Is this what you are looking for ?

Yeah, just any Asian restaurant, whether big or small with wine pairings and/or a wine list should have some mention because they are a bit of a rarity in my opinion.

One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.

Virginia Woolf