• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Nice and Spicy closed

Chocoholic

For years one of my occasional things to do on the way home from work would be to pick up some rotis from Nice and Spicy on Broadway and Yukon. They were always very yummy and the owner and staff are a friendly bunch.

Imagine my surprise and dismay when I dialed the number yesterday for a roti order and I got a message saying they closed the restaurant and are now a catering business.

Does the Reef do decent rotis? How about boxes of frozen patties, another thing I used to pick up there. Patties are great at satisfying a craving for something savory and spicy.

Having just spent some time in Jamaica, I am still longing for the spice... (we stayed in a place that provided a housekeeper/cook and this lady cooked us the best curries and jerk night after night. It was sooo good)

Any other places that do good Carribean style rotis for a quick take-out?

Stefan Posthuma

Beer - Chocolate - Cheese

Having just spent some time in Jamaica, I am still longing for the spice... (we stayed in a place that provided a housekeeper/cook and this lady cooked us the best curries and jerk night after night. It was sooo good)

Any other places that do good Carribean style rotis for a quick take-out?

I've never been to the Carribean, so I have no frame of reference ... but I liked the goat curry and patties at Riddum & Spice on Commercial Drive ... at about 4th I believe.

A.

The name of the place that makes Jamaican patties on MacDonald is, funnily enough, The Patty Shop. (4019 MacDonald Street, (604) 738-2144)

There used to be a good place for rotis etc. on 4th called Roti Bistro but I'm not sure if it's still there. Maybe someone else knows. Here's a link to a mini review in VanMag:Roti Bistro mini review

Edited by appreciator (log)

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

I heard a listing on vancouver radio for Rahana's Roti, or something like that. Maybe with a little research an address can be found. There is nothing nicer then a Trinidadian Roti. Anybody telling you different is lying. a Roti called Buss-Up-Shot has a multi-layered elastic consistency, and is probably the best thing for any kind of curry dish, especially goat. Dhal Pari is probably my next favorite. If you are interested I can link you to some online recipes.

Rehanah's Roti & Trinidadian Food

2518 St Johns

Port Moody, BC

(604) 936-1969

Haven't been yet m'self-it's a haul for the old beast.

I agree that Trinidadian Roti is sublime-there's also Roti in Fiji but it's not as vibrant and fulfilling.