• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

crabs in Vancouver

I recently read that crabs are at an all time low price in the Vancouver area. I was wondering where people buy fresh crabs (I tend to go to T&T), which restaurants they frequent for crabs, and if they have any tips about preparing and serving crabs. An additional sub-topic might be, where do you get the best crab cakes (to take home) in Vancouver? I go to the fish market at the corner of 15th and Marine in West Vancouver because it's convenient, and have been to the crab shack on the Dollarton Highway (recently burned out, I hear) but there must be other places to get them.

Thanks.

Paul B

Paul B

I would never buy crab cakes, the cake part is the easy part of the equasion. It's the extraction of enough meat to make that cakes that's onerous. If you don't want to pick crab, Or aren't lucky enough to have a spouse that claims to enjoy it. Which I have trouble beliveing, but there you have it.) Buy lump crab meat, make your own cakes.

And yes, crab is super cheap right now. Anyone know why?

I have not idea why crab is so cheap but I do know the crab shack should be opening up any day now!

Last summer it was not uncommon to find 3 crabs for $15 and shelled crab meat for less than $20 a pound. I have never found anywhere as cheap as the shack!

My wife says their crab cakes aren't bad either.

Cheers,

Eric

The reason crabs are so cheap right now are twofold.

1. Lobster season is just about to hit full swing in the East Coast, so watch for upcoming bargains on this shellfish as well. The crab fisheries have to compete so they usually drop the prices to do so. Sort of a pre-emptive strike so to speak.

2. There is a bit of a glut of crab on the market right now and while that means good times for the consumer, it is not so good for the fishermen as they don't receive top dollar for their catch at the dockside.

Enjoy them while they last however and if you need a good recipe for crab cakes let me know as I am more than happy to help.

Kepp on shucking (not just oysters but crabs too :laugh: )

Oyster Guy

"Why then, the world is mine oyster, which I with sword, shall open."

William Shakespeare-The Merry Wives of Windsor

"An oyster is a French Kiss that goes all the way." Rodney Clark

"Oyster shuckers are the rock stars of the shellfish industry." Jason Woodside

"Obviously, if you don't love life, you can't enjoy an oyster."

Eleanor Clark

Oyster guy,

I would love to see your recipe for crab cakes. I haven't found the perfect one yet.

Ann

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza

I'd like the crab cake recipe too. I usually buy cakes and serve them on top of a lemon risotto (with peas mixed in) and topped with a chipolte mayonaisse. A fave family dinner that also looks pretty enough to serve guests.

Paul B

I'd like the crab cake recipe too.  I usually buy cakes and serve them on top of a lemon risotto (with peas mixed in) and topped with a chipolte mayonaisse.  A fave family dinner that also looks pretty enough to serve guests.

That's a great looking combo Paul!

For ready-for-the-pan crab cakes I go to the fish store in Ladner (Superior Fish Market & Clothing Co.), where they have the best 'grab'n go' cakes around, and sell so many of them you're pretty much assured of freshness. They have all the ingredients listed at the front of the case. Nothing much out of the ordinary, and lotsa crab meat!

The plentiful supply of iced-packed cooked crab they have right now sure look larger than usual. I asked about the current supply situation - they are not impacted directly by the imminent lobster onslaught - and was told it was usual for this time of the year. Their prices are $7.99/lb for whole cooked, and $33.00/lb for cooked meat.

As an aside to this out-of-the-way but nevertheless well worth a visit store; the second string to their bow is a clothing store, which is displyed at your back as you point out your pescatorial purchase to the staff! An unusual combination to be sure, but testament to the cleanliness of the fish side of the business in that the tee shirts our guests sometimes buy there never smell of fish! The family owns their own boat, so you're guaranteed wild fish.

My all-time favourite fresh crab buying venue, which has only happened 3 times for us, and is somewhat hit-or-miss, is the back deck of the Duke Point to Tsawwassen ferry. Look for a flat-bed truck with one of those pale blue fish boxes on the back. He's got a box o' crab there, going to market, and is usually amenable to an on-deck transaction!

John

"Venite omnes qui stomacho laboratis et ego restaurabo vos"

• 1 month later...
Lobster season is just about to hit full swing in the East Coast, so watch for upcoming bargains on this shellfish as well.

Oyster Guy

Oyster Guy - you are psychic!

I was just down at TNT to get what I think are the last of this season's crab when I saw that they were having a special on Jumbo Lobster.

6.99 a pound on lobster 5lbs-8lbs - though many of them seemed even larger. I mean they were HUGE. I have'nt bought any yet - cause I am not sure if they are good eating when they get so big (also - I feel a little guilty) Ironic that this sale happens in the same month as the C Sustainability lunch.

Please tell me I don't have to feel guilty.....

Lobster season is just about to hit full swing in the East Coast, so watch for upcoming bargains on this shellfish as well.

Oyster Guy

Oyster Guy - you are psychic!

I was just down at TNT to get what I think are the last of this season's crab when I saw that they were having a special on Jumbo Lobster.

6.99 a pound on lobster 5lbs-8lbs - though many of them seemed even larger. I mean they were HUGE. I have'nt bought any yet - cause I am not sure if they are good eating when they get so big (also - I feel a little guilty) Ironic that this sale happens in the same month as the C Sustainability lunch.

Please tell me I don't have to feel guilty.....

8 pound lobsters???? I may have to get one of those just to see what they taste like. Wanna share?

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

www.leecarney.com

Here is what I bought today....

gallery_25348_1330_985079.jpg

I don't know what is weirder - the size of this sucker, or how ugly my kitchen is.

You need my help Lee. Both with your kitchen, and to "look after" that lobster!!

A.

The food stalls in Richmond public market are selling stir fried crag in either garlic or black bean sauce for $6 a crab - all nicely prepared and all. Nice deal for a quick snack!

Cheers!

WOW!!!  Lee, do let us know if you need any help with that sucker. 

I think it's the same size as a small dog.  Wow....

The same size as a small dog? That lobster could eat a small dog! Better keep Ringo and Grommit away from the Canucklehead residence, Arne! :laugh:

Lee, I too implore you to share your experience with this giant crustacean.

(Having visions of Lee backed into the corner of his kitchen with a carving knife, attempting to keep a giant crazed lobster at bay)

www.leecarney.com

It was over 7 pounds.

I actually felt a little guilty about eating it - and considered setting free off the shores of Burrard Inlet (for about 2 seconds). It was crazy to cook - we killed it and had to take off the claws for everything to fit in the pot.

Much of the weight was in the head - but you still get a good yield from the claws and tail (one of the claws was the size of most lobster you see at GI). I think that you would get a better yield from two smaller guys then the big monster we got. I think that most people have the same idea- believe or not, the one that I bought was one of the smaller ones they had left.

It was - very good and it fed three people to the absolute gills - with a large claw left over. We simply boiled it - wanting to keep the size intact. I saw some people purchase their lobsters chopped up - why bother then? It would be like buying a 35 pound turkey - and they turning it into burger meat.

The lobster was served with lemon and melted butter. It was sweet and briny and I think that we treated the monster with respect - ie - we did not turn it into ice cream. I've taken the head home - though I am not sure what I will do with it.

My aunt had suggested to eat it sashimi style - but I find raw lobster (and raw shellfish in general) to disgusting. Too sweet and sticky. But if you do eat it that way - you can remove the meat from the tail and claws - and serve it with the still moving head on the plate. Ugh.

Here is a picture of a claw in comparison to my friend's hand:

gallery_25348_1330_10973.jpg

Well - the experience confirms my place on the food chain.

Edited by canucklehead (log)

The claw alone is bigger the lobster I had a few weeks ago.

I was wondering how you were going to wrestle that creature into a pot, I was sure it would be an exercise in futility. So, what's next...King crab....anyone....

The claw alone is bigger the lobster I had a few weeks ago. 

I was wondering how you were going to wrestle that creature into a pot, I was sure it would be an exercise in futility.  So, what's next...King crab....anyone....

I'm heading downtown to TNT on Monday, if you (and anyone else) want to join me for a "fishing" expedition....

www.leecarney.com

We had friends pop over this afternoon at 2:30. I proposed a trip to T&T to get a lobster for dinner. Quick phone call to ensure they still had stock and we were off. Get to the Richmond store and the fish counter is insane. Six deep waiting for the prehistoric leviathans. All of Richmond is lining up for a treat. My efforts at the back are futile. A tiny women turns to me, and with typical Chinese pragmatism says "there's no discipline here, follow me." She breaks out the elbows of pain and I cruise in her wake to the front. The counter clerk asks me if I'm the guy that just called, apparently big dumb white guys phoning the fish counter isn't a daily occurance. He slings a six pound monster at me. I thank him and start looking for the butter.

Bring dinner home, and begin prep. After disscussion, we decide we're having lobster two ways, along with some chevre ravioli purchased yesterday on Commercial. Wine is opened, the group goes to work, it's now close to five thirty after the requsite pre dinner cocktails. Mrs. Talent goes to work making bernaise for the asparagus, Mrs. Friend of Mrs. talent starts clarifying butter, lots and lots of butter. I chop garlic, lemon rind, basil, and mix it into more unmelted butter.

My friend and I decide it's time to dispatch the lobster after courage building glasses of Cotes De Rhone to whatever the hell the lobster afterlife is. Knife plunges the carpace into two clean halves, tail removed, claws removed. Admitedly, the severed tail flopping around for ten minutes was disconcerting

Build a fire out in the grill, for the tail laden with the butter/garlic mixture. Move north up the Rhone and open a bottle of Beaujolais villages (Fleury) which seems to suit the mood of easy going adventure.

The claws were boiled fifteen minutes, then shelled and meat cut into lobster fillets. How often do you have a chance to carve a lobster? The body/head five minutes, the tail grilled over a hot fire.

Outstanding. The meat was tender and sweet, we all expected it to be stringy and tough. Drank an absolutely f'ing killer 1990 Pugliny Montrachet, which while being tired, stood up amazingly well. Fried the tomally quickly in olive oil, used it as a supplementary sauce for the ravioli.

Killer good meal. Group gathered in the kitchen afterwards to suck to meat out of the legs. So fun. A real treat to share whats normally an individula pursuit, lobster with a group. Probably going to get me blacklisted from the C lunch, but the price will have been wothwhile.

Anyone know how they can sell lobster so cheap? The freight must be more than five bucks a pound. And my hands still smell like the beach, after about ten washings.