• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best - aka - freshest sushi in town

appreciator

Recent thread by Deborah has brought this up in my mind.

I want to know when the fish is delivered and therefore what day is best to hit what sushi bar.

Anyone care to share some insider knowledge?

I'm thinking about a chart (happy to plot one if provided with info btw):

Bob's sushi palace - deliver most fish Sunday a.m. - eat there later that afternoon; Joe's sushi emporium - deliver most fish Mondays after midnight - best eat there on Tuesday;

Jane's Sushi express - fresh (flash frozen) fish deliveries daily.... what else do you expect from a woman in business? Bwha, hah, hah.

Seriously folks, this info would be good to know.

May spawn a topic elsewhere about deliveries.... but starting with fish seems to be .. timely :biggrin:

Oh, and yes.... I do realize that most fish needs to be flash frozen before serving raw... so please keep that in mind w/ your replies.

P.S.... where might one find the other emoticons beside which those are displayed at left... I'm thinking: embarrassed, bloated, chuffed etc./

Edited by appreciator (log)

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

Most fish comes in from Japan on Tuesday, I believe. Except for bluefin tuna, which comes in on Wednesday. And I think Wednesday and Thursday are supposedly the best days to go if you want to be served the freshest fish...although I suppose you can go Tuesday night and ask if they will serve you any of the freshest stuff!

Edited by Ling (log)

Click the clikcy thing at the bottom of the smileys on the left and it should give you a larger selection?

:blush: is there... I suppose :cool: would do for chuffed :laugh: Or I think you can link from other smileys elsewhere on the net, but probably best to copy them up somewhere (like a photobucket or fotki or whatever free photo hosting site if you don't have a website of your own) as boards don't like sharing such with other boards--bandwidth and whatnot, I suppose.

:smile:

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

re: emoticons... eeets the blushing one I want.... most closely resembles my natural state.... will try some clickety clickety.

Encountered some very knarly emoticons earlier today in an email. I'd link 'em but just bet they're fraught with issues. So suspicious am I!

Back to sushi.... how about that place on 4th and Burrard? Has a name that I obviously can’t remember.... Sam's been there I think...

And thank you Lorna.... seems like Tuesday evening through Thursday evening may be best....

:blush:

Helpful hints in action. Anyone want to tackle my (organized) tax return???? :laugh:

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

Just checked with my husband who is in the seafood wholesale business, he said that there are only about three main suppliers to Japanese restaurants. For imported fresh Japanese fish (eg. Hamachi, kampachi, aji, hirame, tai snapper, blue fin) Tuesdays and Thursdays are the delivery days. All other local fresh seafood, eg. salmon, albacore tuna, oysters, etc. can be delivered on any day wheneve the restaurants place their orders. So, generally speaking, Wednesdays and Fridays are good days to visit sushi bars. Personally, I like busy restaurants, you know that there is a good turn-over of inventory.

Back to sushi.... how about that place on 4th and Burrard?  Has a name that I obviously can’t remember.... Sam's been there I think...

Name of Totoya-haven't made it yet new job/different days off/responsibilities/no time yet.

I've been in certain Sushi places when they rec'd jet fresh fish/special order on Friday night YFT from Hawaii so you never know.

"Back to sushi.... how about that place on 4th and Burrard? Has a name that I obviously can’t remember.... Sam's been there I think..."

Hi. My first post. And here's the full disclosure. I work for a magazine. I work in sales. Advertising sales. Some of you may be my clients, or competitors of my clients. So I am clearly the anti-Christ to egulletters. :shock: (Hey, that was fun - I've never used an emoticon before!)

However, my husband and I dine out frequently, and I work with many restaurants. So I might be slightly qualified to contribute, oh, maybe one post a year. And will always disclose any bias.

So, sushi at 4th and Burrard - there is actually a very good sushi place (yes, they have advertised with me in the past) called Shijo that is one of the oldest sushi places in town. 2nd floor at Cypress and 4th, one block west of Burrard. I find their fish very fresh, perhaps because the restaurant is owned by a Japanese fishing company, so I suspect they are first in line for deliveries. They also serve brown rice sushi - sacriligious, but healthy.

Laura Fauman

Vancouver Magazine

Thanks Shellback for the insider scoop... always good to know. One thing about sushi... you want it to be "fresh"! And I agree, busy restaurants are a good thing... you know the turnover is going to be there :biggrin:

And thanks Sam re: the name of the place on 4th and Burrard - Totoyo. I too have been meaning to check it out... just haven't ventured down that way for a while.

Lauraf.... I used to like Shijo... food was always quite good (though a tad pricey) but frankly, they could use a makeover, or at least a paint job. Now I know that shouldn't necessarily detract from the cuisine but to me it does. When I go out for a nice meal and I'd rank Shijo up there in that category, then I want ambiance and service as well as food. Chipped paint and dried flower arrangements don't cut it.

Now granted, I haven't been in a while so perhaps they have made some updates. If so, I'll definitely be back. Alaskan black cod (aka sablefish) robato(sp?)... yum, yum, yum. :wub:

Edited by appreciator (log)

sarah