• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

THE BEST: NY Cheesecake

Pan

I looked for a thread on this March 17, 2004 NY Times article on cheesecake in New York, but didn't find one.

The other day, Mascarpone, my mother, my brother and I stopped by the branch of Two Little Red Hens between 85 and 86 Sts. on 2nd Av. in Manhattan. Ed Levine essentially rated their cheesecake the best traditional New York cheesecake in town. It was my first time at their Manhattan branch, but their Park Slope branch on 8th Av. is my ex-girlfriend's favorite local bakery. I don't remember ever having tried the cheesecake at the Brooklyn branch, but I've enjoyed their criossants, pains au chocolat, pains au raisin, and tarts (and some things with chocolate in them, I think). In any case, the cheesecake at the Manhattan branch was truly delicious. They use ungummy cream cheese and the crust at the base is like a good butter cookie. Slices are $4.50, and we got the last two slices of the day around 2:30 P.M. or so, I guess.

Michael aka "Pan"

I heard Ed talking with Tom Douglas on local radio a couple of weekends ago - all about researching this article. Thanks for bringing it to light.

I heard that Mark Bittman is also doing (did?) an article on Seattle dining. Have you seen it?

I heard that Mark Bittman is also doing (did?) an article on Seattle dining. Have you seen it?

No. Why, does it cover cheesecake?

Michael aka "Pan"

No. Why, does it cover cheesecake?

Not that I know of - just me, going off topic, again.

Moderator's note: I have merged a preexisting thread on "New York Cheesecake" with this new thread because the topics are substantially similar.

Edited by Pan (log)

• 11 months later...

Godspeed on your quest, and please keep us posted!

In addition to Two Little Red Hens, you might want to try S&S Cheesecake in the Bronx, discussed in this post and the succeeding one.

Michael aka "Pan"

I remember another thread regarding that article.

Anyway, I ran over to the Brooklyn location of Two Little Red Hens shortly after Levine's article was published, and I heartily approve of their cheesecake.

But even though it didn't make it to Levine's best-of list, for me the quintessential New York Cheesecake remains the one at Junior's, at the original location on Flatbush Avenue in Brooklyn. You can argue about various taste attributes you want in a cheesecake-- but to me such debates are pointless when it comes to Junior's. Their cheesecake just is. It's a part of the firmament. And the scene at the front counter around any major holiday is always fun.

"I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast;

but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast!"

Is there any chance I could persuade you all to include photos of these cheesecakes? Living in Chicago and working as a pastry chef........I'm always seeking perfection in my version of an authentic NY cheesecake.

I do have recipes and have baked all the "major" contendors for the perfect NY cheesecake I've ever seen mentioned on the internet. BUT in the end, I wind up with what I make (my attempt at Juniors, my attempt at whatever), so I never see how "the best" look, or taste.........other then some ad. If any of your buy a piece of this said "best NY cheesecake" a close up shot would be very helpful and educational.

I still don't know if a almost crustless cheesecake (like recipes I've gotten from magazines) or a heavily crusted Juniors is the quentsencial NY cheesecake.........

..........me, I like them all......

I still don't know if a almost crustless cheesecake (like recipes I've gotten from magazines) or a heavily crusted Juniors is the quentsencial NY cheesecake.........

Junior's cheesecake isn't heavily crusted--it's made on a thin layer of cake.

"I think it's a matter of principle that one should always try to avoid eating one's friends."--Doctor Dolittle

blog: The Institute for Impure Science

• 3 years later...

Junior's cheesecake isn't heavily crusted--it's made on a thin layer of cake.

This is an old thread but I got to say that Juniors is still the best cheesecake in New York. Brooklyn keeps on taking the prize! :biggrin:

"I take a vitamin everyday- it's called steak."