• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

BBQ in Essex County

AlisonA

Indigo Smoke, Montclair

Thanks Rosie. Looking into it I think that this is "KC" style barbeque, not southern. That is based on this article from the NYT 2002:

NYT Indigo Smoke article.

I'm looking more for a Carolinas/smoked/pulled/vinegar based sauces. May not be one here but thought I would ask.

AlisonA

Still searching for hash browns in Jersey.

Indigo Smoke, Montclair

I'm looking more for a Carolinas/smoked/pulled/vinegar based sauces. May not be one here but thought I would ask.

AlisonA

We serve what you are looking for, but Orange County NY may be a long hike for you. I guarantee you that it would be worth the trip though.

Barnstormer BBQ

Rt. 9W

Fort Montgomery NY

845 446 0912

We serve what you are looking for, but Orange County NY may be a long hike for you.  I guarantee you that it would be worth the trip though.

How far is your restaurant from Woodbury Commons? I'm always looking for a good place for lunch / dinner when we're up there shopping..

Indigo Smoke, Montclair

AlisonA

We serve what you are looking for, but Orange County NY may be a long hike for you. I guarantee you that it would be worth the trip though.

I'll be sure to keep you in mind should we ever head up that way. Might be worth a trip one day.

AlisonA

Just keep in mind that many of the Newark area barbeque places are actually not American BBQ, but Brazilian/Portuguese. Not a bad thing--that's for sure! :wink: Just different.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

AlisonA

I came across this listing and thought it might be of some help to you in your search for BBQ in Essex County.

New Jersey BBQ

Thanks! Lists are good, although this one does not seem to have the type of BBQ, I will definately give it a go over to see if there is anything listed in Essex County -besides those in Newark.

AlisonA

AlisonA

I came across this listing and thought it might be of some help to you in your search for BBQ in Essex County.

New Jersey BBQ

Thanks! Lists are good, although this one does not seem to have the type of BBQ, I will definately give it a go over to see if there is anything listed in Essex County -besides those in Newark.

AlisonA

There's a new location of a mini chain called Jim Dandy's in Cedar Grove. There's another in Nutley. I haven't personally been there, but have heard very good things about it.

Jim Dandy's is not good. I've tried the one in Nutley and it was very expensive for what you got and the ribs were really not that good. Someone on another food board posted about the one in Cedar Grove and said it too was "horrible". Not saying not to try them, but, I definitely would not go back to Nutley.

Also, AllisonA I think we should keep an eye on this link. Their new website is not up yet, but, it's for the New Jersey State Barbecue Championship! I know that it will probably be individual, but, maybe we'll be able to find a new place to go to for BBQ. Just a thought.

NJ BBQ Championship

Edited by nizza (log)

For those of you who like ribs, I hate to say it, but Costco's ribs are really very good. Very meaty and sweet. Costs about $15 for the rack. I pick up a rack whenever they have it and I'm there-which is not very often. They fly off the shelf as soon as they are put out.

Open a bottle of wine and put in a good movie and it's better than most restaurants that serve BBQ in this area.

I'm looking more for a Carolinas/smoked/pulled/vinegar based sauces.  May not be one here but thought I would ask.

yeah, that's a tough one. i can't think of any place around here that does carolina q. but, to answer your question about pop's in madison: it's pretty good, but not what you're looking for. very nice pulled pork sandwich, tho.

jim dandy's in nutley: nothing special. really.

there's a hole in the wall on walnut street in montclair called ray's luncheonette that's worth checking out. again, not what i'd call carolina style, but certainly closer to it than indigo smoke. i don't think they're open past 3 pm or so.

let us know if you come across anywhere else good.

For those of you who like ribs, I hate to say it, but Costco's ribs are really very good. Very meaty and sweet. Costs about $15 for the rack. I pick up a rack whenever they have it and I'm there-which is not very often. They fly off the shelf as soon as they are put out.

Really? The store in Wharton's ribs were good a while back but the last two times I had them they sucked.

Thanks for all the help. I will definately do my best to check out a couple of these places over the coming months.

Not a big pork rib eater - pulled pork is my que of choice. That being said, I do confess that I bought some still warm cooked ribs at Barths Meat Market that were excellent. Smoked with a dry rub, I think, falling off the bone. If they have them when you are there pick them up. They didn't even last until dinner. Getting hungry thinking about them.

Alison