• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Live music in Vancouver restaurants

nwyles

I get a couple of calls a week about live music. I know that Capone's is doing it every night but other than that, is there anywhere in town to get a decent meal and "listen to the jazz go down". Can we keep the responses to within Vancouver or just outside it. A happening trio in White rock does not help me if I have to send someone there.

Thanks

Neil

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

I know the Purple Crab on Main Street has some pretty good live music, however, I don't recommend the food. Or service for that matter. Also the Main has live bands on the weekend and I would certainly recommend their food.

In the downtown vicinity, I can think of Rossini's in Gastown or O'Doule's off the top of my head.

Also, I think Joe Fortes has live music too, but I don't know if it is jazz. I had brunch there about a year ago and there was a guitar player.

Here's a link I found.

The one's I've been to:

Rossini's in Kits - decent pasta and music, but the bar clientelle is a little cougarish.

I've never eaten here (the link says you can), but I've definitely drank at the Jazz Cellar on Broadway just east of Alma. Or perhaps you can send the folks over afterwards, as the music doesn't start until 8:30-ish.

I've been to others on the list, but not for jazz or food.

Also, there are a couple of dinner & dancing clubs around town, one being on Broadway near Arbutus. (Sorry I am terrible with names!!) Don't know what type of music if is though.

I get a couple of calls a week about live music. I know that Capone's is doing it every night but other than that, is there anywhere in town to get a decent meal and "listen to the jazz go down". Can we keep the responses to within Vancouver or just outside it. A happening trio in White rock does not help me if I have to send someone there.

Thanks

Neil

We've lined up some great live music on Suday nights at The Living Room Bistro. Jenna Andrews and her band host the event (sounds a lot like Nora Jones, great voice) There are different guests each week, mostly local musicians. The vibe is awsome. Goes nicely with the food.

Deborah, I have not been there - nor have I been to the Latin Quarter. I've also heard that Havana has live music once in awhile, but I don't know where / how they would pack them in. In any case, I'm curious too.

Admission: I'd go but I have a fear of being dragged into the dancing. Moshing okay, even busting a couple moves to Crystal Method yeah sure, but if it requires any sort of grace then I'm definitely lacking! Jazz works, you sit and drink and nod your head. I can do all three.

Thanks

Neil

We've lined up some great live music on Suday nights at The Living Room Bistro. Jenna Andrews and her band host the event (sounds a lot like Nora Jones, great voice) There are different guests each week, mostly local musicians. The vibe is awsome. Goes nicely with the food.

Just Sundays ? What time does it start and what is the cover ? Capones adds a couple of bucks per head for cover.

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

It's (the music) every Sunday, starting at 7:00 PM until 11:00-12:00.

There is no cover.

The title of the show is called "Unplugged and Hungry".

We do take dinner reservations until 7:00 but after that it gets too packed with Martini drinkers and music appreciators.

You know, I'be never really found that a restaurant can do both good music and good food at the same time; either it's about the food, or it's about the music. And really I don't understand why one would feel the need to combine them, but I guess some people just want everything at once.

The cellar on broadway and alma is an exception however. While the food isn't stellar, (and a little over priced from what I remember, though I haven't been there in a year) it is much better than you would expect from a jazz club, the atmosphere is great, and the music is even better. the cover depends on who is playing, but I think it used to be around $10 for normal nights. they used to charge you full price again if you stayed for the second set, which was really annoying, but I think they changed that. It is somewhat pricy but definitely worth it. Only thing that's missing is the smoke. to make you feel Rossini's also has some very good jazz, though I have never eaten there and so cannot comment on the food.

Capone's has some good music too, but can't comment on the food.

The place someone was referring to on broadway with music and dancing I think was mesa luna, I don't think they really have any jazz music on a regular occasion.

I can't reccomend this because I haven't ever been...but monk mcqueens upstairs has jazz on friday and saturday nights i hear. Don't know who plays there so can't comment on the quality of the music. I'm sure some people would like it.

the other day when I was at Quay in yaletown with some friends, there was a horrible jazz/elevator music trio playing, can't say that it really improved my dining experience. In fact I couldn't wait for them to finish their set. If restaurants are going to have live music, it should be at least worth listening to!

Latin Quarter and Bukowski's both have live jazz, not sure what nights, I think latin quarter is everynight. And i think latin quarter is definitely the better of the two for food. I don't get out there very often, maybe someone else knows.

Chivana on fourth and vine ( which I believe was named best chinese-cuban in the sun. They must have some time beating off the competition for that award!) used to have jazz sometimes, but I think they may have gone more towards DJs, does anyone know if they still have any live jazz?

Also I think cafe deux soleils has jazz on sat nights, and maybe other nights. But I don't know how the food is.

James

Can we keep the responses to within Vancouver or just outside it. A happening trio in White rock does not help me if I have to send someone there.

Thanks

Neil

But if anyone asks where they can get some new dentures fitted, their hearing aid repaired, or their motorized scooter tuned up, you know where to send them. :wink:

I know a man who gave up smoking, drinking, sex, and rich food. He was healthy right up to the day he killed himself. - Johnny Carson

We went with another couple to La Zuppa in the 1500 block of Lonsdale, North Van, one Friday night a couple of months ago. The place is unprepossessing but the tapas is actually not bad. The big attraction, however, is the Spanish music on Friday nights: two guitarists and a flamenco dancer. The musicians rocked the small room. We ended up having a great time.

Paul B

Paul B

I'm surprised no one mentioned of Odoul's downtown. They have jazz every night.

Rime on Commercial, which is quite new also has musicians and jazz quite often.

One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.

Virginia Woolf

I believe O'Doul's has live jazz two-three nights a week and Rime on the Drive seems to have something happening every night but they do charge a cover charge so beware.

Stephen

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG