• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

THE BEST: Tacos

pnapoli

Just to supplement with some more pics, I'm almost certain that there were egullet people there on saturday: two gentlemen peering over a taco or two intensely and murmuring about tortillas. The cheesy thing on the right is the huitlacoche quesadilla, which was kind of a dissapointment, and didn't have the intensity of flavor I wanted from corn fungus. The lengua and the chicken and all the tacos were outstanding though. This was my trial plate, before I came back that same night and ordered 20 to share with others. This place was totally worth it and I'm now even happier that I may be moving into this neighborhood.

gallery_25710_754_59204.jpg

gallery_25710_754_99896.jpg

I wanted to snap a picture of the kitchen, but the nice ladies would always look at me suspiciously as I tried to peer in and guilted me out of taking one.

And every restaurant like this should have a jukebox.

Edited to remove accidental toilet humor

Edited by fauxtarga (log)

Just to supplement with some more pics, I'm almost certain that there were egullet people there on saturday: two gentlemen peeing over a taco or two intensely and murmuring about tortillas. The cheesy thing on the right is the huitlacoche quesadilla, which was kind of a dissapointment, and didn't have the intensity of flavor I wanted from corn fungus.

The squash blossom quesadillas are better, which they seem to have year-round so I guess they're frozen? But they're good.

"If it's me and your granny on bongos, then it's a Fall gig'' -- Mark E. Smith

gallery_25710_754_99896.jpg

I wanted to snap a picture of the kitchen, but the nice ladies would always look at me suspiciously as I tried to peer in and guilted me out of taking one.

And every restaurant like this should have a jukebox.

Daniel, when I used to go to a Dominican place in University Heights after teaching days at Bronx Community College, I ordered in Spanish. It wasn't hard for me to learn to say "Quiero un especial de pollo, cuarto de muslo, con arroz blanco y habichuelas rosas." And this was in a place where staff did in fact speak some English but did much better with Spanish. If you're dealing with a specialty place whose clientele is very largely Spanish-speaking and they don't speak English, learning how to say "Para quedar" ("To stay") and "Para llevar" ("To go") isn't too taxing. Now, the little eateries in Flushing that have signs only in Chinese -- that's something else. But the fact is, many stores and restaurants really don't need to speak English, and we're the "foreigners" there.

Michael aka "Pan"

Hey, i have tons of stories like that too working in Elizabeth.. Like i said, i am for their right to ostracize the entire country if they want.. And its worth it for me to put up with the bullshit cause the tacos are soo good.. But it was "taxing" at the time because i didnt realize i had to know spanish before hand.

My main problem was i thought she was rude for getting upset.. I was obvjously trying to communicate..

edit to add.. I dont want to get off the taco subject.. But i would like to hear your explanation as to why you care if signs are in different languages.. It seems to not stay consistant with your opinion that the general public should learn to speak a foreign language in order to accomodate the business, why not learn how to read it as well. Again, i dont care about that either as long as the food is good.. Is there a thread that discusses the english subject.

Edited by Daniel (log)

two gentlemen peeing over a taco or two

:laugh:

Oops. Peering. Peering.

The second time I went there I had put together a somewhat complicated taco order, so I basically just circled things on their menu and put numbers next to the different tacos. My spanish accent must be pretty abysmal -I said huitlacoche a couple of times, and after getting a blank look I gave up pointed to the chalked menu on the wall.

I would add that the definite downside to any "to go" taco product is that the in box steaming of the tortillas is really less than desirable. But now my fridge is full of little containers of salsa so I'm not really complaining.

Edited by fauxtarga (log)

[...]My main problem was i thought she was rude for getting upset.. I was obvjously trying to communicate..

Could she have been frustrated?

edit to add.. I dont want to get off the taco subject.. But i would like to hear your explanation as to why you care if signs are in different languages.. It seems to not stay consistant with your opinion that the general public should learn to speak a foreign language in order to accomodate the business, why not learn how to read it as well.[...]

It's a hell of a lot harder for a native English speaker to learn to read Chinese than to read Spanish menu items and say a few words of Spanish. That's why I care. But it's not like I feel those little eateries are doing anything wrong; obviously, they are catering to a clientele who can read Chinese.

Edited by Pan (log)

Michael aka "Pan"

I went to Tehuitzingo again today. Another round of great tacos: carnitas, enchilada, and papas con rajas. Unfortunately, my poor accent ruined the latter: When one of the women in the kitchen asked whether I wanted rajas, I bet I said, "Sin rajas" instead of "Si, rajas". It was still good with some tomatillo salsa. I prefer their carnitas to their enchiladas, though the two are very similar. The key to their tacos, aside from great meat and sufficent onions and cilantro, is that the tortillas are warmed through. In fact, this time they were hot. I can't tell you how many tacos I've eaten that have been ruined by tortillas that taste raw.

JJ Goode

Co-author of Serious Barbecue, which is in stores now!

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

IUnfortunately, my poor accent ruined the latter: When one of the women in the kitchen asked whether I wanted rajas, I bet I said, "Sin rajas" instead of "Si, rajas". It was still good with some tomatillo salsa. I prefer their carnitas to their enchiladas, though the two are very similar.

Please explain what the difference is.. What si or sin means..

Edited by Daniel (log)

If they screwed up your order why wouldnt you send it back?  Or was it your fault cause you werent versed enough in the mother tongue to explain yourself..

I attempted to have a very basic, short conversation with one of the women in the kitchen and ended up sabotaging my order. I was embarassed. :smile: Luckily, this ain't Per Se: I'll be back soon and then I'll get the taco with rajas.

Though I don't want this thread to turn into one about whether those who run ethnic restaurants should to speak English, I will say that, in my opinion, in restaurants like Tehuitzingo, I am a tourist. And so I'm happy to adapt and make it easier for them to serve me.

JJ Goode

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

Taqueria y Fonda La Mexican has been a favorite place mine for a few years so I went to Tehuitzingo today to see how it compared and I have to say that I was impressed. In terms of tacos Tehuitzingo was as good and I'd say that their Carnitas (especially their Enchilada Carnitas) and Chorizo were better than Taqueria, but I wasn't that impressed with their sopes. I was surprised that they had chicharron tacos and fresh chicharrones and can't wait to go back to try everything else.

On my way out I spoke to the owner who told that he plans to move one of the refrigerated beverage cases out soon to make room for more seating and they deliver all the way to Rockefeller Center, where I work. Not sure how the tacos hold up when delivered but if I'm feeling lazy I'll give it a try and report back.

In terms of tacos Tehuitzingo was as good and I'd say that their Carnitas (especially their Enchilada Carnitas) and Chorizo were better than Taqueria, but I wasn't that impressed with their sopes.

Thanks for the report, donbert. And welcome to the eGullet Society, if you haven't already been welcomed! I'll have to try the chorizo tacos at Tehuitzingo. I was tempted to try something other than tacos, but judging from reports here, I'll wait until I've tried all the tacos first.

JJ Goode

www.jjgoode.com

I wasn't that impressed with their sopes.

I agree. There's too much on them. The ones at Matamoros Puebla in Williamsburg are my favorite that I've had in the city.

Tehuitzingo also has a bunch of daily specials (plates, as opposed to the street food items on the chalkboard) but I think you have to ask the ladies what they are -- which is a problem for some of us who don't know Spanish. Sometimes the owner's son (usually in a heavy metal t-shirt) is working the counter which makes things problem-free. I haven't been there since they renovated so maybe they've changed things around. Gotta get back.

"If it's me and your granny on bongos, then it's a Fall gig'' -- Mark E. Smith

For those looking for some good tacos in Brooklyn, the famed (at least in some circles) Red Hook ball fields are again open for the summer. Saturdays and Sundays down towards the end of Clinton Street in Red Hook. Had a very tasty chorizo one with a spicy avocado sauce and pickled jalapenos. Yum!

For those looking for some good tacos in Brooklyn, the famed (at least in some circles) Red Hook ball fields are again open for the summer. Saturdays and Sundays down towards the end of Clinton Street in Red Hook. Had a very tasty chorizo one with a spicy avocado sauce and pickled jalapenos. Yum!

They have great pupusas as well! Bicycling there and having some tacos and pupusas while watching a futbol game is a great way to spend a weekend afternoon.