• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Twice-Cooked Pork

My husband and I would love if someone would give us some restaurants anywhere in the west from MB to SK to AB to BC that serves twice-cooked pork - also known as double sauteed pork - it is an amazing spicy chinese dish - both szechuan and hunan claim it - just love it - hard to find - thanks - to those who help it will be our treat if we are ever in your cities - Karolee

Go to any of the so-called Szechuan restaurants in any Chinatown in any of a dozen cities. Or better still, make it yourself. It's easy enough. Some call it double cooked pork, some call it twice cooked pork.

Ben - yes I know what it is - and have recipes - however it is not easy to find in restaurants as you suggest - please list some restaurants thatyou know - K

Perhaps it might be a regional thing... When I lived in Washington DC, you could find Twice Cooked / Double Cooked Pork at any Szechuan or Hunan restaurant, but I don't think I've ever seen it in a Szechuan restaurant here in Vancouver.

Food Lover -- nothing more, nothing less

Perhaps it might be a regional thing...  When I lived in Washington DC, you could find Twice Cooked / Double Cooked Pork at any Szechuan or Hunan restaurant, but I don't think I've ever seen it in a Szechuan restaurant here in Vancouver.

X H - not the info I was hoping for - maybe I'll have to go watch the Nationals play - K

Szechuan Chong Qing has it. They call it double cooked pork.

Ann

Edited by annanstee (log)

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza

I don't often order this, but now of course am suddenly craving it!

My advice is just ask at any (decent) Chinese place that you happen upon. It is often true in Chinese restaurants that you can order things not on the menu that they are able to make and happy to oblige. Let us know if you find anything significant, as I'm sure everyone wants to know.

I don't often order this, but now of course am suddenly craving it! 

My advice is just ask at any (decent) Chinese place that you happen upon.  It is often true in Chinese restaurants that you can order things not on the menu that they are able to make and happy to oblige.  Let us know if you find anything significant, as I'm sure everyone wants to know.

SushiCat - We actually try that all the time - without succes - talking about theis melt in your mouth sliced psork dish is making my mouth water - properlly prepared the vegs and tofu also absorb the amazing flavour - K

Karolee,

I noticed twice cooked port at Golden Szechuan the other day ... I couldn't convince the people I was with to order it ... somehow they wanted other things (always hard to chose only a few dishes), so I didn't try it, but it is there on the menu.

Karolee,

I noticed twice cooked port at Golden Szechuan the other day ... I couldn't convince the people I was with to order it ... somehow they wanted other things (always hard to chose only a few dishes), so I didn't try it, but it is there on the menu.

SushiCat - thanks for the heads up on Golden Szechuan - K

Karolee,

I really like the food there, but haven't tried that dish.

I promise that the next time I go, I will order it and give

you an update via this thread.

Ann

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Friday Night we decided to order in from Gloden Szechuan. We finally wanted to try twice cooked pork. Gotta say it wasn't what we had expected. The picture I had in my head was something more along the lines of a spicy pulled pork. This was more like under cooked bacon in veggies.

Is the way it's supposed to come?