• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Paris Tap Water

menton1

The City of Paris has begun a campaign to get Parisians to drink more tap water.  I have noticed that in the last 5-6 years, restaurants are also serving more tap water.  It is no longer taboo to ask for tap water in French restaurants; many of them bring the water in beautiful carafes, some in pitchers, some in wine-type bottles-- but always with flair! 

Can anyone get me that Pierre Cardin carafe?  :biggrin:

I conducted a blind tasting of non sparkling water in paris last winter.

We tasted in crystal glasses evian. vittel, badoit ,paris tap water and new york city tap water. the results were as follows

-new york tap

-Badoit

-paris tap

-evian

-vittel

Incidentally in restaurants i always order carafe of Chateau de la seine (paris tap

water).

I think the perceived difference between the various bottled water is psychological due to marketing by the various companies.

I conducted a blind tasting of  non sparkling water  in paris  last winter.

We tasted in crystal glasses evian. vittel, badoit ,paris tap water and new york city tap water

Badoit (sparkling) must have rated very poorly as a non-sparkling water.

Sorry,i should have written mostly still water since badoit is a light sparkling water.

New york came 1st perhaps because quite a few of the participants were from new york.

Could it be the 1970's wine tastings all over again? :shock::laugh::raz:

New York water is good water. I never bother with bottled water when dining in a NYC restaurant. I am amazed at how fast the bottled drinking water industry has grown in the US especially with such innocuous brands as Dasani and others. It is a testament to the powers of marketing.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

NY tap does have fluride and other taste polluters.  How could it score above Badoit?

Just another mineral in the profile. I thought the point of most of these bottled waters were their idiosyncratic mineral profiles that give them their distinctive characters, otherwise we should all be drinking distilled water. :wink:

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

• 1 year later...

Both Figaro + Les Echos of January 16 and 18 respectively had articles on the battle between “Eau de Paris” and the Groupe Castel’s Neptune Cristaline bottled water. But the topper were 1400 billboard ads which neither showed but the WSJ of February 1st had that said “Je ne bois pas l’eau que j’utilise,” or as they translated it “I don't drink the water I use to flush.” The Journal went on to say that the billboard featured a “photo of a white toilet bowl marked with a big red "X." Next to the discredited commode was a large picture of Neptune's Cristaline brand of still bottled water. "I drink Cristaline."” Unforunately the articles are all visible by subscription only at the WSJ, Figaro and Les Echos.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

The City of Paris has begun a campaign to get Parisians to drink more tap water.  I have noticed that in the last 5-6 years, restaurants are also serving more tap water.  It is no longer taboo to ask for tap water in French restaurants; many of them bring the water in beautiful carafes, some in pitchers, some in wine-type bottles-- but always with flair!  

Can anyone get me that Pierre Cardin carafe?   :biggrin:

I conducted a blind tasting of non sparkling water in paris last winter.

We tasted in crystal glasses evian. vittel, badoit ,paris tap water and new york city tap water. the results were as follows

-new york tap

-Badoit

-paris tap

-evian

-vittel

Incidentally in restaurants i always order carafe of Chateau de la seine (paris tap

water).

I think the perceived difference between the various bottled water is psychological due to marketing by the various companies.

BTW how was the NYC water (aka Chateau de la Hudson) stored and transported for the tasting? Did someone supervise its affinage?