• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Steak

steakas

Sammy's makes a great steak, but I'm sure you can get a comparable steak at other places for less money.

Unless you live in that immediate area, I'd just as soon go to Sparks in NYC.

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

Originally, I was going to say that Sammy's is a little high priced but reflecting on the care that they take with their meat compared with what other restaurants get for a steak in Morris County and I think Sammy's price is fine. If you don't like the atmosphere that's another story.

Now that I think about it, I'm due a visit to Sammy's as I haven't been there in years. I waited on Maryann and Phil when they got engaged years ago. Nice people.

i've never eaten at sammy's, but i'm wondering how they're charging more (30% more give or take, although i don't know if they're the same weight) than luger's, wolfgang's, and some other NYC steakhouses when they're serving meat that doesn't even get billing as "prime." is it a testament to how good their angus beef is and how well they treat it? or is it a testament to the affluence of morris county and the lack of other steakhouses in the area.

A 32 ounce steak?? I think after the first 10 ounces, it wouldn't matter how it tastes. People ordering this must have a cast-iron stomach, or they are taking home a lot of leftovers...

I know that for many years the Spanish-type places like Meson Madrid in Palisades Park and many of the Newark Ironbound places have offered 3- pound steaks for about $25. (Probably more now) What is the appeal of such a giant steak? Is it quantity over quality?

A 32 ounce steak??  I think after the first 10 ounces, it wouldn't matter how it tastes.  People ordering this must have a cast-iron stomach, or they are taking home a lot of leftovers...

I know that for many years the Spanish-type places like Meson Madrid in Palisades Park and many of the Newark Ironbound places have offered 3- pound steaks for about $25.  (Probably more now) What is the appeal of such a giant steak?  Is it quantity over quality?

Umm, well once you remove that giant bone and accompanying fat/gristle, your 32 ouncer shrinks to a pound...still a nice sized steak, but nothing out of the ordinary. It's not like its 32 ounces of tenderloin...

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson

The thing is there are no Morris County restaurants that offer that size & quallity steak. Pricing as I remember it when I ate in these places is as follows.

Strip house ( Livingston ) $36 for a 16 oz Strip

Ruth Chris ( Parsippany ) $38 for a 22 oz Porterhouse

Sure a 32 oz should, with the bone and grizzle taken into account, offer about 16 to 20 oz of meat.....but it is aged and good.

Most restaurants now offer a bigger steak so as to compete with the steakhouses. I now sell a 22 oz Cowboy Rib-Eye for $32. Cirelli's in Randolph offers the same at $36.

if i'm not mistaken, luger's porterhouse for two is about 48 ounces. same with wolfgang's. seems reasonable. that said, a 32 oz for 1 serving seems odd. methinks their steak for one could feed two, but i'm guessing they won't let you do that. although, i think if you cut a t-bone to 24 ounces you're going to have a steak that is much too thin to my mind at least.

as far as ironbound places serving large pieces of meat, that's probably for another thread, but i rather enjoy them on occasion.

Okay, here's a question. The prices notwithstanding (though I'm in general agreement with Tommy here that $100 seems excessive in light of what Luger's charges), how's the food at this place? I've never been, but would definitely give it a shot if it comes with a recommendation.

"All humans are out of their f*cking minds -- every single one of them."

-- Albert Ellis

as far as ironbound places serving large pieces of meat, that's probably for another thread, but i rather enjoy them on occasion.

Can anyone finish that 3 pound portion? Do they wheel you out? Is an ambulance standing by?

Dinner at Sammy's includes a salad, vegetable, French fries, dessert and coffee or tea. Most steak houses are a la carte.

jeesh it was right on the menu! good work, rosie.

in that case i'd say it's a reasonable price. although i would guess that a 32 ounce t-bone is barely 1 inch thick. i prefer larger t-bones/porterhouses at abuot 1.25 to 1.5 inches thick. which comes out to about 48 ounces. my guess is that they don't have a huge market for "steak for 2", so they have to serve single portions, which turn out to be about 32 ounces. not a bad deal for 50 dollars i'd say.

Edited by tommy (log)

Dinner at Sammy's includes a salad, vegetable, French fries, dessert and coffee or tea. Most steak houses are a la carte.

Well, here's the debate now. I don't want a iceburg salad, steamed veggie, damn sure don't won't frozen french fries or a choice of two desserts. I'll pay the $50 for the steak if it's good, I'll pay the tariff on a side of augratin potatoes & creamed spinach to share for the table but if you gonna include the accruments above I'd say I'd pass. Now though, that's Morris County, where something most come along with the meal or customers feel they're not getting they're money's worth.

Well, here's the debate now. I don't want a iceburg salad, steamed veggie, damn sure don't won't frozen french fries or a choice of two desserts. I'll pay the $50 for the steak if it's good, I'll pay the tariff on a side of augratin potatoes & creamed spinach to share for the table but if you gonna include the accruments above I'd say I'd pass. Now though, that's Morris County, where something most come along with the meal or customers feel they're not getting they're money's worth.

Sammy's dry ages their beef on premises. The salad is crisp, fresh and tossed to order ( They even make thier own vinegar) The french fries are fresh cut not frozen and the vegetables are all fresh, never frozen. Even desserts are made in house. The atmosphere isn't for everyone but the food is fantastic. I would go as far to say its the best steak I've ever had. I have even had the porkchops and they are very good. Vodka pasta it to die for. If you have not tried Sammy's you won't be disappointed

Sammy's French fries are one of the best in NJ. Also, Tommy--there are many "steaks for 2" that come out of the kitchen. Also, the loin lamb chops are excellent. And I like the fact that your bar bill --from the downstairs room where you wait --is added to your check. If you go check out the handmade wooden bar in the basement which dates back to the 1920's prohibition era when Sammy's was a speakeasy.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

.  Also, Tommy--there are many "steaks for 2" that come out of the kitchen.

i'd sure hope so! my point was more to rationalize why they'd serve steaks in 32 ounce portions. is a "steak for 2" twice as thick?

32 ounces is pretty much standard for a "single steak" when you're looking at porterhouse or t-bone. those cuts have such an enormous footprint that you have to have a slab that large to get a decent thickness. but, again, lugers and wolfgangs don't bother serving a single serving of porterhouse, probably partly for the reason i just stated. so, when i wonder why this place might, i have to assume because they have an audience for single steaks. lugers and wolfgangs not so much...not porterhouse at least. if you want a single serving at one of those places, you get a steak with a smaller footprint, like sirloin or strip.

that said, i picked up a porterhouse tonight for dinner, and i really want to try this place. :biggrin:

The thing is there are no Morris County restaurants that offer that size & quallity steak. Pricing as I remember it when I ate in these places is as follows.

Strip house ( Livingston ) $36 for a 16 oz Strip

Not to nitpick, but the Strip House is in Essex County. A decent place, but extremely inconsistent... I digress

I've never been disappointed with a meal at Sammy's. The price may be high, but the meals are always excellent. I also vouch for their fries. I remember eating them by the fistfull when I was a kid! :smile:

I still have to say though that while a great meal, you can do just as well, if not better for a comparable or lesser price at many steakhouses in NYC. Of course, as Rosie pointed out, all of the accompanyments are included at Sammy's whereas they are a la carte at most other places. I guess I've never really done a breakdown analysis as far as what you'd pay at other steakhouses for salad, fries, etc vs. a Sammy's meal.

One could argue that part of the price at Sammy's is the atmosphere. I like the setup of ordering when you arrive, and then heading down to the bar area for cocktails and bar games. It's almost as if you have a more organized waiting room. You've already ordered. You're waiting for your table. But rather than just have a sitting area, you have a far more relaxing and enjoyable atmosphere for waiting. When you get your table, the meal is ready to go. I've never been to a restaurant set up quite like it.

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

The steak for two is tremendous at Sammy's and it is covered with a mound of French fries. I'm pretty sure it's more than an inch thick. BTW--I forgot to mention that Lou has the BEST steak sandwiches ever.

In my opinion River Palm Terrace serves the best steak in the State. John's meat market provides the best steak in the state. Runner-up restaurants would be Strip House, Pete Lorenzo's and then Sammy's. Sammy's, however, has a great atmosphere. They also (as mentioned above) have fantastic vodka pasta and I love their shrimp scampi.

:D

How does Sammy's stack up with River Palm in Fair Lawn (Also in Edgewater I think)?  River Palm is said to have the best aged steak in NJ-- they have their own aging room...

In my opinion River Palm Terrace serves the best steak in the State. John's meat market provides the best steak in the state. Runner-up restaurants would be Strip House, Pete Lorenzo's and then Sammy's. Sammy's, however, has a great atmosphere. They also (as mentioned above) have fantastic vodka pasta and I love their shrimp scampi.

:D